Civil War Re-Enactors: Echoes of Distant Thunder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil War Re-Enactors: Echoes of Distant Thunder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3outB...ayer_embedded#, see how far we have come but not in the beard department.
    Last edited by Thomas Alleman; 10-21-2009, 01:54 PM. Reason: more text
    Thomas J. Alleman
    "If the choice be mine, I chose to march." LOR

Re: Civil War Re-Enactors: Echoes of Distant Thunder

From a post earlier in the week expressing your disgust of poor impressions to posting this film detailing the goings on at a mainstream event ?

Connect the pieces...what are you trying to accomplish here ?
    Last edited by OldKingCrow; 10-21-2009, 07:21 AM.

Comment

In the words of someone more famous than me, "There is no such thing as bad press".
      Brian Gauthier

Rat Tail Mess
      Wolftever Mess
      SCAR-Southeastern Coalition of Authentic Reenactors

Cry "Havoc" and let slip the dogs of war.

Comment

Folks..,

Before I can comment on this - I need a bit of help here. Our IT dept blocks access to You-Tube and I still am chained to dail-up at home. The video title in question here is actually used on at least two different video productions of the same genre. One was produced back in the late eighties out here in the "Nations" by a close friend of mine and of which many of the members of the TMR were featured. The second was produced more recently of which I have never had an opportunity to view. Can any of you further identify the video in question so that I may respond accordingly?

Most respectfully,
        R. L. (Rick) Harding, Jr.
        United States Marine Corps 1971-1972
        Life Member - Disabled American Veterans
        Capt., ret. - Trans-Mississippi Rifles
        Member - Co. F, 1st Arkansas Infantry Battalion, TMB
        Member - TMR Veteran's Assoc.
        Member - Morehouse Guards, 3LA

Comment

Hey Rick,

It's the one from the late eighties, 89 to be exact, produced by Steven Warren for Warren Entertainment.
          Michael Boyd
          49th Indiana Co. F.
          [B]Tanglefoot Mess[/B]

63rd Indiana, 1st Section/1st Platoon, Co C at [B]Backwaters[/B]
          15th Iowa, Co. K - [B]Shiloh![/B]

Comment

Michael - appreciate the information . This video is indeed the one where I first met Steven L. Warren. He was a local video/televison producer and avid Civil War buff from Tulsa. The event was held at the relocated Will Rogers birthplace near Oologah, Cherokee Nation (Oklahoma). If I remember correctly, the event was sponsored by the Will Roger Birthplace Historical Site and hosted by the Trans-Mississippi Rifles of the Missouri Civil War Reenactors Association. It was one of the first major events to take place in the state outside of the one held at Honey Springs State Battlefield Park and sponsored by the Oklahoma Historical Society. The event (for its time and day) opened the door to bigger and better reenactments, which by today's standard would be considered "mainstream"...

Now to Tom's post where I see he has added a comment which I take as a "quantifier" for posting the hyperlink to the video. Tom - I am glad you did so as I must admit I was concerned where this reference was leading to, considering the stir of comments recently over an earlier (now closed) thread...

Taking the comment at face value, indeed many things have changed throughout the years since this video was first produced. First off, the much younger and still learning me as interviewed in the video is vastly different over the "Me" of today - individually speaking & age notwithstanding. I have been active in this "passion" since the mid-seventies. I can honestly say that I have "been there & done that." My early mentors were Robert Serio and Cal Kinzer. I still look up to these two fine gentlemen today and am greatful to have shared many worthwhile experiences with them along the way...

At this point, I don't read anything else into Tom's comment other than the obvious as stated. Please view the subject of the video and the individuals featured in it in the context of it's time. Back then, there was but two camps of thought. There were the out and out "f**bs" and the rest of everyone else. Buzz word classifications like, "mainstream", "progressive", "hardcore", "emersion", and "EFUBU" either weren't created yet or just hadn't filtered out this far West...

The one important thing I have learned over the years is that this "hobby/passion" is subject to one's individual perspective. It can be as exclusive or as open as anyone individual cares to make it. I don't have a problem with that. I can still choose to go to those activities and events that I feel will satisfy my "needs" or "fix". I have always been a quick study and open to learn and open to adjust, as are most individuals I come in contact with. I ignore the "judgemental crowd". Apparently, we have nothing to learn from each other and so be it. At the same time I would be glad to put my "kit" up against their's any day. Lastly - I know at some near point, my youthful good looks will fail its honest historical persona to the point I will have to "re-direct". Until that day comes...

PS. Anyone out there remember Pete Maze or Roy Daniel? If not - you haven't been around all that long yet...

Most respectfully yours,
            R. L. (Rick) Harding, Jr.
            United States Marine Corps 1971-1972
            Life Member - Disabled American Veterans
            Capt., ret. - Trans-Mississippi Rifles
            Member - Co. F, 1st Arkansas Infantry Battalion, TMB
            Member - TMR Veteran's Assoc.
            Member - Morehouse Guards, 3LA

Comment

Personally I viewed this thread in the same provocational spirit as the other one Tom started. But thats just me. I see now, post edit, it was for comparative chronogical analysis purposes.

Thanks for the clarification.

CR

Comment

Working...
              X