Double bayonets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double bayonets?

I was watching the Ken Burns series again when I suddenly noticed an oddity I recall seeing before and not putting into script. It is in episode 4 and is a picture of a Negro soldier, probably posed with a shining Springfield and bayonet on it.
    It was then I noticed he still has a bayonet on his belt so this confirmed my suspicion that it was staged. I cannot find the one I saw prior but this one is on the Ken Burns series reminded me. How common was this error and has anyone else used it to confirm a staging?
    [B][I]Christian Sprakes
    19th Regimental Musician and Bugler[FONT="Impact"][/FONT][/I][/B]

Re: Double bayonets?

Pretty common. From what I've noticed, its usually in individual portraits.

-Craig Schneider
    Attached Files
    Craig Schneider

Comment

Hallo!

Which also raises that annoyingly pesky and thorny issue as to whether the arms and accoutrements seen in images (especially older patterns) are actually the property of the soldier or just photographers' props.

(Part of the discussion about soldiers being allowed, or not allowed to take their guns and accoutrements out of say camp and into town for a sitting...)

Curt
      Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 11-07-2009, 08:07 PM.
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

...which also throws a curveball in there when you are studying photos, to get a better idea as to what a partucular unit you will be portraying was issued, so you can better your impression for an event. Pesky indeed!
        Micah Trent
        Tar Water Mess/Mess No. 1
        Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site

Comment

Check out the analysis of the image of Fire Zouave Francis Brownell, and his two bayonets. However, we know that the weapon he's holding is, in fact, his from the initials scratched into the stock. It is presumed, naturally, that this is the specific rifle/bayonet with which he did in the killer of Col. Ellsworth.

Marc A. Hermann
          Liberty Rifles.
          MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
          Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Famous last words: "Behold my trophy!"
            David Fox

Comment

...and now for something completely different...today we welcome Arthur "Two Bayonets" Jackson on the show.

I have often wondered if the well trained eye can tell a difference between a studio portrait using props and one taken "on location" while following the armies around. The liklihood of the items belonging to the soldier would increase if the photographer were following the troops.

Another confounding question I had regarding WWII portraits was one I saw of a soldier most definately at home visiting his family (the family house was in the background) while he was holding an M1 Carbine. Huh? I guess it did happen.

I know British troops often carried their weapons on leave during WWII, but thought it was a rarity during most American conflicts, even during the CW.

- Jay Reid
              Dreamer42
              9th Texas
              Jay Reid

Comment

Working...
              X