In Memoriam: Joseph Patrick Lassus 1955-2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Memoriam: Joseph Patrick Lassus 1955-2009

Our comrade-in-arms and my mess-mate of the past five years, Joe "Moe" Lassus passed away on Sunday at age 54. He was a member of the Authentic Campaigner Forum since 2004, but was not one to post much. His screen name was simple "lassus." While he did not post much Joe read a lot of the posts on here and would comment to me about them from time to time around the campfire. Usually chiding me for "kicking over the anthill," as he put it..but not always, we often saw eye-to-eye. It is important to remember that many of the hale fellows who do a variety of events, participate in living history and form the backbone of Civil War (re)enacting are not the sort who post their knowledge on the internet forums. Joe Lassus and Mr Coastal Trash's (Patrick Landrum) Dad were comrades down in the Bayou for years in some redneck Confederate outfit until Joe moved to Tennessee about ten years ago, saw the light and began wearing the blue. He told me that as a little boy, Landrum used to hide under his teenaged daughters cot because he liked looking up their hoop skirts. I am pretty sure that Landrum still does that when he can or at least it is still a possibilty as he remains compact enough to fit under cots. For his part Landrum admits hiding under the bed, but claims it was to get at the corn liquor stash. Either story is equally believeable. Also, Joe Lassus loved a good cigar, and I believe he exposed Landrum the youngster to that bad habit, too, although it could have been the other way around. Joe thought a lot of the Landrums, both peres and fils.

Joe Lassus was a quiet, thoughtful fellow. We did many events together, even did the trip up to Cedar Creek one year to slum it with the FFR. He loved his 1842 Springfield pumpkin slinger that was one of mine once, a really nice early serial number musket that I did for myself until he fell in love with it at first sight a few campaigns ago. Joe really took care of that musket, that man could flat out field clean a musket better than most fellows can do tearing it down at home with all the time in the world. Joe was a great cook, too...like Landrum, but then I never knew a Cajun that wasn't a pretty good mess-mate. I made beans (and rice) with ham hocks for the crew at Missionary Ridge in homage to Joe, I suspected for a while he might not join us in the field again. I let Joe know that we held a dinner of his favorite concoction in his honor, or rather relayed the message through his wife (Naomi) as I found out yesterday that Joe was in Hospice at that time and then a week later he was gone. However, probably to make me feel better, Naomi told me he was pleased I finally figured out how to cook something on an open fire without burning it...which I would like to point out in my defense is very historically accurate.

Joe and I became full fledged, certified, NPS volunteers out at Stones River Battlefield at around the same time last year. It was my idea, because we were both getting a little long in the tooth to be jumping fences with the young bucks and we learned to shoot the big six pounder guns. Gone too soon, I am going to really miss that guy. 2009 has been a tough year in terms of losing people that will prove hard to replace.
    Last edited by Craig L Barry; 11-19-2009, 11:22 PM.
    Craig L Barry
    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
    Member, Company of Military Historians

Re: In Memoriam: Joseph Patrick Lassus 1955-2009

A good man that will be missed. I only had the honor of meeting Joe, once or twice, but always a delight. His family will be in my prayers.
    [B]Justin Morris[/B]
    [B]Independent Rifles[/B]
    "And All of Hell Followed"

Shiloh, IR Confederate Campaigner Adjunct Battalion, Cleburne's Division, March 30 to April 1, 2012

Comment

[B]Justin Morris[/B]
      [B]Independent Rifles[/B]
      "And All of Hell Followed"

Shiloh, IR Confederate Campaigner Adjunct Battalion, Cleburne's Division, March 30 to April 1, 2012

Comment

This is a shock to see this morning. Joe was a member of Boone's Louisiana Battery when he, Naomi, and Marie lived in the New Orleans area. A great guy with a smile on his face all the time. And I remember the cigars. Loved being around him and hated to see him go. I immediately called John Bangs, Boone's commander and he is also in shock. Craig, please let Naomi and Marie know that they are in our prayers. If you could give us an address we would like to send our condolences to them. Thanks for posting.
        Timothy J. Koehn
        Boone's Louisiana Battery
        Supporting Confederate Memorial Hall, New Orleans, LA
        http://www.confederatemuseum.com/

Comment

Craig that was a very nice read. Thanks for sharing it ...My condolences on the passing of your friend......Thoughts and Prayers to his family.
          [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
          ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

I met Joe when he was apart of the old 1st Tn apart of the Hardee Guard Battalion back in the old days.Was a quiet person,and will be missed
            Brian Maddox
            37th Tn Co H

Comment

Craig,
              My first messmate, Brent Reich, was actually extremely fond of Joe's daughter Marie, so while Brent was in there looking for skirts, I was after that Louisiana Moonshine.

I can say and relay things about Joe for hours, how my Dad enjoyed seeing him whenever he got the chance. How that friendship really was more like a brotherhood. But I think my Dad's comments last night will always ring true for me. I'll keep those tucked away, and will always think of Joe when I light a cigar, take a pull of Bourbon from a flask on a cold night, or win at a hand of cards, played for caps, around a campfire of my friends.
              Patrick Landrum
              Independent Rifles

Comment

Sir, through this difficult time please know our prayers and thoughts will be with your friends family and loved ones.....his friends. Our hopes for heart strength and peace.
                With deepest sympathy, Mel and Marie Hadden
                Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
                Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
                Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
                www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Tim Koehn

Ooops! Sorry about the old "redneck Confederate outfit" comments re: Boones Lou-wee-see-anna Battery. My words obviously, not Joe's. He always spoke highly of the outfit. I just figured that if they let Patrick Landrum in...well, what would you think?

Coastal Trash

I am going to hold you to that red bean dinner you offered to fix in Joe's honor at the STRI Anniversary living history in January. Start looking for some decent salt pork. Todd Watts will be there, probably eating Hormel chili out of a can with his fingers, like usual. Joe Lassus used to love any kind of sausage, andouille, chorizo, etc and would bring some back with him every year for the STRI event, and our lunch was that with army bread. I remember I found some Zummo's Boudin and surprised him with it there last year...it was actually very decent, he said. We were pretty pleased that day. He had some Tasso and we steamed the Boudin, all that was missing was the moonshine. Apparently you drank it all up before you moved to Tennessee to get married, and there was none to buy and bring back.

All:

Joe actually knew he was dying after the initial surgery was not successful and he lost a lot of basic functionality, couldn't walk well, speak clearly or even type. He didn't want anything to do with radiation or chemo, after what his dad went through. He'd say (through Naomi) that he was fine or at most there was a setback, but I was always left with the impression after speaking with her that he was coming back, and I expected him to. He didn't want to burden anybody with worrying about him, according to his wife.

One last memory: the "pumpkin slingers mess"--meaning Joe, my son who outgrew the hobby--Hunter--and me had a tin type made by Szabo at Cedar Creek, it was on the back cover of the Gazette a couple years back. I found it last evening, blew off the dust and put it up on the piano. I am even going to start being nicer to Landrum, out of respect for whatever small good Joe Lassus saw in that boy at one time. He often spoke about Landrum in Latin, out of his respect for Patrick's famous love of learning, it went something like this "Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis coastalus trashius exponebantur ad necem." I looked it up once, I think it translates as, "In the good old days, children like young Patrick Landrum were left to perish on windswept crags."

For those interested the address is:
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Naomi Lassus

1278 Bridgeton Park Drive

Brentwood, TN 37027-8340

(615) 776-7735
                  Last edited by Craig L Barry; 11-20-2009, 08:09 AM.
                  Craig L Barry

Comment

Craig,
                    Joe was a member of Boones, then quit, then became a member of the 7th Louisiana, which I grew up in and my Dad is still a member.
                    Patrick Landrum
                    Independent Rifles

Comment

Good info, Joe was on the quiet side regarding his former outfits...So the 7th Louisiana (not Boones Battery) is to blame for producing the rapscallion known as coastaltrash? All are hereby forewarned.

Interestingly, it seems Joe came full circle in the hobby and was back to doing Artillery (at STRI) before he fell ill. The shocker for me was how suddenly it all came about, then it was over. I was sitting right where I am now when the call came in from his wife, and I was hoping against hope Naomi was calling to tell me that Joe was feeling well enough for a battlefield tour or a visit to the Fuller gun collection at CHCH. God, "Moe" was a good companion for all kinds of outings besides Civil War events and living histories. Landrum was right, this was more like a brotherhood and this is like losing a brother. Moe Lassus = molasses, that nickname was him in a funnin' mood. He'd sign his emails to me that way. Was that a tag he got back in Louisiana?
                      Last edited by Craig L Barry; 11-20-2009, 08:22 AM.
                      Craig L Barry

Comment

Well, it is good to know he came full circle back to artillery. He got a hankerin' to do infantry and left us. We were always friends. We hate that he is gone. At least now I know where Landrum got his bad habits from. Rest in Peace and God Bless You Joe!
                        Timothy J. Koehn
                        Boone's Louisiana Battery
                        Supporting Confederate Memorial Hall, New Orleans, LA
                        http://www.confederatemuseum.com/

Comment

I really liked Joe. He was one of those quiet fellas that was always happy with a grin on his face. No matter the weather or our currect situation I grew accustomed to seeing him there with that familiar smirk or grin holding his '42. When I got the e-mail about his passing yesterday, I involuntarily started whistling "The Vacant Chair" and I swear it tore me up.:( I thought that his place in our lines will be filled, we will dress-down and step up as necessary and march on without him, but Joe will never be replaced in our camps. So long, friend.

Comment

Hallo!

Losing one, diminishes us all, for being done too soon.

Curt
                            Curt Schmidt
                            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                            -Vastly Ignorant
                            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
                            X