X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil War Historian Mag. DEATH

:cry_smile
    Is There anything we as a group can do??
    [FONT="Times New Roman"][/FONT]
    Charlene Staples
    Delavan, WI

Citizens of The Old NorthWest
    Boonesfield Village
    Lost Tribes
    Bummers

Re: Civil War Historian Mag. DEATH

Hallo!

Not a business man, but...

Everybody in the CW Community buy a subscription or three, and then each buy thousands of dollars worth of kit from CWH advertisers telling them you saw their products advertised there.

Seriously, IMHO, such things are ultimately about finances and the revenues generated (or not) by the business community.

Others' mileage will vary...

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Originally posted by cstaples View Post
      :cry_smile
      Is There anything we as a group can do??
      Like a bailout? No thanks. ~G
      Gary Dombrowski
      [url]http://garyhistart.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

I just subscribed back in August and never got an issue. Now I'm out 20 bucks. Sucks too, I was really looking forward to the magazine.
        Jeff Felton
        [SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"]Liberty Rifles
        CWPT[/SIZE][/SIZE]
        [URL="http://northcarolinastatetroops.blogspot.com/"]http://northcarolinastatetroops.blogspot.com/[/URL]

Comment

I enjoyed the magazine from Day 1, but I can understand with a limited subscriber base and the cost of publishing how it did not survive.
          Marc Riddell
          1st Minnesota Co D
          2nd USSS Company C
          Potomac Legion

Comment

It was a great magazine while it lasted and it was a valiant attempt to keep her going,. I too had re-subscribed this past summer for another year, but you win some & loose some.
            [FONT="Georgia"][I]Marc Averill[/I]
            Dirigo Grays
            CWT[/FONT]

[I][COLOR="Blue"]"Time sets all things right. Error lives but a day. Truth is eternal." [/COLOR][/I]
            Lt. General James Longstreet

Comment

Just a thought... why not make it a web-based publication only...?

All the best- Johnny Lloyd:wink_smil
              Johnny Lloyd
              John "Johnny" Lloyd
              Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
              SCAR
              Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
              Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
              Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
              Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Nobody has figured out how to make money from a web based publication yet, to my knowledge. We went down that road a couple years back with The Watchdog...we looked at a variety of options, when (like Civil War Historian) we determined we could no longer afford to self publish. Even a non-profit--The Watchdog is a 501[c]3--has to have sufficient income to offset publishing expenses. At least CWH could sell ads as an additional revenue stream, which The Watchdog could not do.

The Watchdog attempted to carry on first as a monthly column in Camp Chase Gazette to honor our existing subscriptions, a move for which we were roundly excoreated at the time and then since late 2008 as a feature in Civil War News. The current economy is a very tough environment for single subject hobby magazines right now, especially any publication with a narrow scope like "authentic Civil War (re)enacting." One philosopher/friend of mine compared it to buying a radio station...if you do that, you can't just play the songs you and your friends like and hope to stay in business very long. The remaining publications on Civil War (re)enacting are not doing all that well either and we may well see some continued cutting back, such as when CWH went to their quarterly publishing schedule. The publishers certainly could have been more forthcoming about their situation as that move to a quarterly along with every late issue that resulted in questions about their future was immediately greeted with assurances that all was well, when clearly that was not the case. The recent announcement about shutting down was made and then that thread immediately closed with no opportunity for discussion. And I was always quick to jump to their defense when the excuses came about changing printers causing publishing delays and the like. CWH was my favorite magazine. I was a subscriber from Vol 1 # 1 and had re-subscribed about six months ago for two more years. Nothing ever came. My recent inquiries into when I could expect to receive another issue went unanswered. I was very disappointed to see this happen to CWH, not surprised but disappointed. The small amount of lost money is the least of it, what I will miss most is the magazine...
                Last edited by Craig L Barry; 11-26-2009, 02:31 PM.
                Craig L Barry
                Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

A sad day for a great publication ~ I have every issue.
                  Just have to reread them.
                  But it is not the same.
                  Happy trails, CWH.
                  Your most obedient servant and comrade,
                  James C. Schumann
                  Mess #3
                  Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

I too am very sorry to hear of the demise of the magazine. I hope someone else will pick it up and continue it some form or another. The editors and staff did a fantastic job of presentation and subject matter for the "folks". I know the economy is in a fluster right now, but someone out there has to have the time and abiblity to put something like the Civil War Historian out for us all. The Watchdog was a great help to me, and sadly, never will show up again in my mailbox.

This Website is just about all we have left that caters to the Civil War Living Historian and researchers exclusively. It was $20? for a magazine subscription. I would have paid $40 or more if I could have my Civil War Historian back!!!!- I pay $65 to the NSSA, and another $50 or $60 to the Company of Military Historians. The Civil War Historian was worth the bucks.

Maybe someone would pick it up for $45-$55 a year-- 4 issues even-- and once in a while a special issue-- only on "Confederate Stuff"--no Yankee junk!! With the 150th coming up there is going to be room for a magazine like this one for the next 5 years at least.

CSuniforms
                    Tom Arliskas
                    Tom Arliskas

Comment

Though I was only shorted 1-2 issues on my subscription I feel for those that saw zip from theirs. The magazine did not fall on hard times overnight and I can't understand why they would even take someone's money knowing they are not making it. If something should ever replace it I'll buy an issue at a time. It might cost more but sure beats losing an entire or partial subscription. ~Gary
                      Last edited by garyjd; 11-26-2009, 12:49 PM.
                      Gary Dombrowski
                      [url]http://garyhistart.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

Gary

Because you need income from new subscriptions to publish the current issue and mail it out. It kind of works like Social Security that way. You knew this was going on from all the discounted subscription extensions you were getting in the mail over the past year...even when your subscription was not about to expire. They needed those funds to get the next issue out the door, and so on. It only works if you can get enough new subscribers to keep a revenue stream going.

Hey Arliskas...

My article on the Birmingham gun-maker W. Greener is finally running in the Winter Journal of CMH, save me a copy if you will. It will be the first firearms related article printed there in many moons. I guess they ran out of research pieces on the Chilean Picklehaube helmets.
                        Last edited by Craig L Barry; 11-26-2009, 05:03 PM.
                        Craig L Barry

Comment

Hi Craig,

Congratulations on your article being accepted for publication by the CMH. I look forward to reading it.

Gary
                          GaryYee o' the Land o' Rice a Roni & Cable Cars
                          High Private in The Company of Military Historians

Comment

As do I, Craig.
                            David Fox

Comment

To continue an earlier thought from above on the hobby magazine business model...Traditionally, publishers would just about give the magazine away with low cost subscriptions and make it up on advertising income. Gradually (I think) the worm turned and publications (in fact all print media), has to be able to make it on their subscriber based revenue. I was recently discussing this with Kay Jorgensen of Civil War News and was surprised to learn that advertising revenue was not covering enough of the costs to offset any loss to subscriptions. Being as The Watchdog had no advertising, I never knew the business model had made that particular paradigm shift, having always heard the "subscription loss leader/make it up on advertising" approach as conventional wisdom.

The point being, when subscription revenues start falling below the cost of publishing, you can do one of two things...publish less often or get more subscribers. However, publishing less often is a defensive strategy. As Robert E Lee said of "defensive strategy'...the logical conclusion to that is surrender. That is not really the best plan for long term survival then is it? So, how do you get more subsribers? Well you have to raise the awareness level in areas where your publication is not as well known. At the Nashville Gun Show last December, I discussed an ad swap between CWH and Civil War News with Adams and Runyon, and we all agreed it would be a good idea. Civil War News has been around 30+ years but does not have a wide readership among "authentic" reenactors. The Watchdog columns have been enthusiastically received by Civil War News readers. On the other side of the coin, CWH had readers that had were probably not hobby based newspaper subscribers. I had approached Civil War News with the idea before the 2008 Gun Show, and they were amenable but needed to discuss ad size, artwork, etc with the editors of CWH. CWH either never followed up on it, or at least it never happened to my knowledge. Instead CWH went to the quarterly publishing model and then ironically as history suggests it would happen...finis...endgame.

By the way, ad swaps are pretty common in print media. The Watchdog tent was next to the Camp Chase Gazette tent at Mill Springs in 2007. Nicky Hughes was then editor of Civil War Historian and approached the Gazette about an ad swap (believe it or not). Civil War Historian was like the old National Geographics we got when we were kids. They were too good to throw away so you saved your old copies for future reference. If I were the CWH guys, I would offer complete sets or publish the whole eourve in book form. It would be well worth having.
                              Last edited by Craig L Barry; 11-26-2009, 08:21 PM.
                              Craig L Barry

Comment

Working...
                              X