How to obtain a rifle musket barrel and sight for a repro M1842

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to obtain a rifle musket barrel and sight for a repro M1842

I am sure that this has been cover in a thread before. I have purchased a repro M1842 smoothbore musket. Is it possible to buy a spare barrel that is rifled and sighed? If so, where do you get them? Also is there any problem with switching out barrels?

Thank you.

Dan Stewart

Re: How to obtain a rifle musket barrel and sight for a repro M1842

Dan,

The information you seek is available. There are several custom barrel makers that can build you a drop in barrel for your repro '42 smooth bore. I would be happy to share this info with you if you e-mail me.
    I can not post their contact info on this forum. To do so, would put me in violation of the "we got rules here". None of these custom barrel makers are on the "Approved Vendor" list.
    I doubt this posting will survive the editing, So I will send you a PM, requesting you to contact me by e-mail for the contact info you seek.

Comment

I think one can mention Whitacre and Hoyt on this forum and not run afoul of the gendarmes. However, you may not need a custom
      barrel. The way I handled a similar project was to buy a rifled barrel from Taylor's & Co, presuming your 1842 is an Armi-Sport.
      Then I bought a rear ladder sight from Lodgewood Mfg, (an original in fact) and it made a dandy two-fer. Pretty simple really.
      Last edited by Craig L Barry; 06-06-2010, 08:11 PM.
      Craig L Barry
      Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
      Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
      Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
      Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Blair and Craig,

Thank you both for your suggestions. I think going with a Taylor's and Co. barrel sounds good. I really did not know where to get an Armi-Sport barrel so thank you for that suggestion. And maybe a Cross site would be the thing. Someone did a survey of the small arms of the Army of the Cumberland at Stones River. If memory serves me, there was about 3 regiments with smooth bore 69 cal and about 13 with rifled 69 cal. (I think that is right.)

Dan Stewart

Comment

Dan,

Do some price checking.
          The importers rifled barrel should drop into their smooth bore model. Note, I said "should" drop in. But that rifled barrel will still use the same patent signal section breech/breech plug as their smooth bore barrel.
          Prices for the custom made rifle with "correct" sight installed, with separate breech plug barrels run about the same. No additional de farbing is needed! and the quality difference of the custom barrels for accurate competition shooting is simply no comparison.
          The disadvantage to this is that you may have to send your repro barrel to the barrel maker to get the best interchangeable fit.
          One barrel maker has a web site, which make price comparing easy.
          The other barrel maker you will either have to call or write to get the info you seek.
          When there is no appreciable difference in the initial purchase prices... I recommend going for the best in quality and authenticity for your investment dollar. It is alway nice knowing you have options.

Comment

Working...
          X