Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nesting Pots

Folks,

Is Wendy Osman of MN the best place to go for correct nesting pots/kettles? If so, what is the best way of contacting her? I can't find a website, only a number and I'm not sure how recent that is.

If there are other sources, I'd be interested in hearing of those.

This is more of a "who makes," not a "who makes the best" so please hit me with any and all options so that I can sift from that point.

Kind regards,
    Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Re: Nesting Pots

Fred, go here : http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...40-W.-K.-Osman
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Fred:

I have made a number of purchase from the Village Tinsmith and been very happy with both their customer service and the quality of their wares.

Kace
      Kevin 'Kace' Christensen
      7th & 30th Missouri Volunteers

Comment

Osman's current phone number is 612-823-4009,
        and they have a new grand-daughter, so leave a message, busy time.
        S.Sullivan

Comment

Fred,

To be honest, I don't know of anyone else that produces them. The originals are sheet-iron, not "tin", and I've never heard of anyone else reproducing something that they claimed to be army mess kettles, let alone kettles made of sheet iron (without tin plating, they rust like crazy if you don't use and care for them).

Good Luck!
          John Wickett
          Former Carpetbagger
          Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

John is correct.

I've gone through a cart load of tin kettles over the years, by reputable makers and not-so-much. The underlying stock just does not compare to correctly reproduced Federal Issue sheet iron kettles. I've yet to see a tinned set that was thick enough and behaved the same way when cooking--or tinning that held up for any real length of time under heavy field cooking. In the past, I could count on wearing out a set of tinned kettles annually. I've been on the same set of Osman sheet iron kettles for about six years. Other than the damage done them by airport baggage handlers (hammered out and mended) they are still sound. I put a second set on the shelf a couple of years ago, well, because I wanted to.

And I've not seen another soul making them in this weight. A friend of mine copied my set for his own use, and said he'd not make another.....

As to care--leave the outside blackened. Scrub the inside and coat with mineral oil to store. Yes, they will set up a fine coat of rust in about two hours once the oil is washed out--pour the food on in there, its good for you.

If they get really cankered over, go do a coastal event and get those on KP to scrub them out with sand........the beach at Fort Moultrie has lovely 'scenery' and a man can take several hours to scrub those pots.:tounge_sm
            Terre Hood Biederman
            Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
            Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Fred,
              What would you be wanting to make in those kettles?
              Rick Biddle
              Co. A 4th VA Stonewall Brigade
              Co. A 15th TX Texas Ground Hornets

Minion of the Warlord

"War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over" - MG William T. Sherman

Comment

Rick,

Well, a whole heap of delicacies can be crafted in a set of nesting pots. For instance, your bud Raul would no doubt love some stewed chicken's feet. I remember him plucking yard-birds at Bummers with great glee. None of us could understand a word coming out of his mouth but you could tell he was in his "happy place."

And for the record, some of our French comrades from across the wide pond were wondering about this issue. I thought I'd toss the grenade out there and see what happened.

If I decide to hang up the musket in favor of the cook pot myself, a set of these beasts would be good to own.

Hope you and the other folks overseas are well. Y'all are in our hearts and prayers here.

Regards,
                Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Raul comes from a long line of chicken pluckers.
                  Tom Yearby
                  Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Working...
                  X