How has Re-enacting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How has Re-enacting...

Are there things you do, wear, or say (in real/everyday life) that has to do with your involvement in re-enacting or deep interest of the time period?

Since I've gotten into the hobby (especially THIS side, lol) I'm incorporating 'habits' into my everyday routine that weren't there before this interest of the 1860s, such as searching antique stores for items ACW related, wearing my hair up and center parted, working in the garden wearing a hat or bonnet etc.

What about you?
    Last edited by MissMia; 06-14-2010, 02:54 PM.
    [B][FONT=Courier New]~Mia Marie[/FONT][/B]
    Historical Interpreter

Re: How has Re-enacting influenced you?

Well, growing a goatee would probably the thing for my physical appearance. The biggest thing however I think reenacting/living history has done for me has been how I treat and interact with others. I was 9 years old when I started doing this with my father, and I forwent school functions, and tom foolery kids my age were doing and attended events instead, and now I am 28 years old. Even today my interpersonal skills are head and heels above others my age, which I directly attest to growing up around intelligent and well rounded men of whom I am indebted to for the rest of my life. I also believe I was given an edge during my 5 years in the military over my peers in regards to leadership and maintaining the welfare of my soldiers.
    V/R
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Probably more ways than I realize but the ones that jump to mind:

If it's pouring rain and I have no umbrella it's no big deal. I walk rather than run from car to destination or vice versa. My terror of getting wet is long gone.

When I read of troops approaching at right shoulder shift, etc, etc it has a much deeper meaning.

I have almost no fear of dirt and germs and embrace Josh Fieldhouse's theory that folks that deal with dirt on a regular basis are healthier as a rule. I don't use germicidal washes.

My haircut and facial hair.

My zone of comfort regarding where, when and how I can sleep are changed forever.

I go barefoot everywhere it's allowed to keep my feet tough.
      John Duffer
      Independence Mess
      MOOCOWS
      WIG
      "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Re: How has Re-enacting...

It has given me time with my sons without Iphones, IPods, and LSU Football.
        Last edited by Dale Beasley; 06-15-2010, 12:03 AM. Reason: Not that I dislike LSU Football.

Comment

The 'old lady' hair do is the most common hallmark--center parted and Up is so much easier with this much hair.

Then there is the incongruent white sheer corded bonnet with the extra long elbow length curtain, with capris, my Dad's old dress shirt and kickers, all atop a disreputable John Deere tractor that was bought the year I finished college. But I do get the mowing done.

The formal dining table disappeared under the cutting board years ago, but the silver gets polished regularly.

There are five iron wash pots in the back of my truck.

The inside of my dishwasher is ruined from using it to power scrub Osman Federal Issue Mess Kettles. Carbon stain does not come out of plastic.

Currently I own 2 pairs of modern pants, 4 shirts, and one little black dress that fits. There are 13 period dresses in my closet. That is for THIS time period. We will not discuss the number of dresses in the 'for sale' box.

My modern vehicle has 120,000 miles on it and is making funny noises. I just spent $2000 on a period conveyance. That is only the beginning.

A wise feller said: Reenactors are stupid........:wink_smil
          Terre Hood Biederman
          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Have to agree...it's the hair. I wear it long at an age that now-a-days I should have a shorter hair cut.
            Annette Bethke
            Austin TX
            Civil War Texas Civilian Living History
            [URL="http://www.txcwcivilian.org"]www.txcwcivilian.org[/URL]

Comment

On the practical side, I went through much of college with a book satchel pulled up to about acceptable level for a haversack. I keep an oil lamp at the ready at all times for power outages, and my cord wood is stacked in a covered, dry location. The first time I went camping in a modern tent was a rather odd experience, but I also had a tin boiler strapped to my pack frame and had the first cup of coffee going in the morning.

As an historian, living history has reinforced my tendency towards social history. The grand story of dead famous politicians can be wonderful for some, as is campaign study and the history of technological innovation. Living history has pushed me to know and understand what can be found about the daily lives of "normal" people, as well as how grand outer forces such as military service, military campaigns, and other events have effected their lives. This has impacted my classroom performance as well as my personal and professional research.
              Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
              My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

For one, now I am always broke :C ]. But besides that I am not as picky about having a comfortable place to sleep anymore. And for several days after events people complain about a strange smokie smell.
                -Brandon Hand
                48th NY Co. F
                Unit Clerk/Newsletter Editor

Comment

My 3 week old son is named Jackson Forrest. You can't get in my truck or walk in my house without seeing Civil War every where.
                  Captain Andy Witt
                  52nd Geo Vol Inf Co I CSA
                  Blue Ridge Mess

http://www.52ndgeorgia.webs.com

Comment

I've taken up a state of near constant broke-ness, not only due to school, but also buying ACW related books, and spending money on other stuff for reenacting. I more or less deal with at least something CW related every day, since I've gotten a Living History seasonal job at Vicksburg, I use a C. Childs Fed. issue blanket as my normal blanket at home, I only have two pair of reenacting shoes/boots, and a ever increasingly small collection of reproduction and original Civil war "Stuff", but I spent far more money on those things than I did on my modern day clothing. as far as hair style, I've grown my hair out from my usual "High and Tight" to a style more closely conforming to 19th century standards, and I change up from the center part, to a nice side part, but I do think the hair has got to go!
                    Tyler Gibson
                    The Independent Rifles

Comment

I have been sewing full time since late 2008, and before that part-time for about six years, and I drive about two hours to/from the workshop every week to deliver finished products and cut more to bring home. In Kalamazoo everyone knows me as "the guy who makes Civil War clothing" so whenever I step into a coffee shop to do hand sewing my reputation precedes me. I have a Federal issue blanket on my bed that is actually more comfortable to me than my goose-down comforter. Every now and then in wet, stormy weather I'll wear my Federal brogans because my modern shoes don't keep my feet dry as well. For almost six years I've had either a full beard or the zouave-style goatee/moustache combo, even during my five-year stint as a cook and kitchen manager at a Carrabba's Italian Grill; since the proprietor got a kick out of my Civil War obsession, I was the only person in the restaurant allowed to have facial hair! Sometimes I spend way too much money on reproduction items, things like red Federal blankets since I saw an original used by a Mainer at Gettysburg, despite knowing that I will never use them. I have a fabric hoard that would clothe about two-dozen people. If I go to Ikea with friends or family I see the linen drapes they sell as haversacks, Tait jacket linings, Cincinnati canteen straps, summer trousers. As the years have gone by I've spend untold amounts of money on civilian and military CDV's (I think I have about 500 now), as well as random small items that are usually passed over; bottles, blankets, coverlets, tinware, civilian clothing, and even some military clothing. I can close my eyes, pick up random CDV's and tell you if they are from the period or not based on the thickness and feel of the stock. Going to pick up custom woven cloth from Pat Kline once, twice, even four times a year with my business partner Dan feels like a vacation (I've resigned myself to the idea that it is). On the way to the Malvern Hill LH in 2008, when my friends and I "accidentally" discovered the Kelly's Ford battlefield in Virginia, I was so excited I stripped down and forded/swam the Rappahannock without regard to modern conveniences like clothing, or a shower afterwards. Finally, and this is what I hear from my closest friends and even some collectors, since I've been studying the U.S. Sharpshooters for over a decade I have several hundred names and faces memorized from identified and unidentified photos I keep in my digital database; this has helped me identify sharpshooter images for collector Rick Carlile and has also netted me about a dozen images on the cheap from eBay (there's three on there right now!).

That was way longer than I thought!
                      Brian White
                      [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                      [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                      [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Its the few trips of the year that I pack light. If it don't fit in my seabag, I don't need it. My sweetie thinks roughing it is staying someplace without a pool.

Mike Stein
                        Mike Stein
                        Remuddeled Kitchen Mess

Comment

A corner of our bedroom is dedicated to keeping Uniforms and ACW stuff, all packed in ammo crates. Some lives downstatirs. Facial hair for a definate. Three years ago our town flooded, by the grace of God I was unnafected but I put my Reenactor box upstairs. My wife went nuts as she considered it, in the grand scheme of things unimportant. That was until I pointed out it had oil lanterns, Candles, dried food. Four, now full, canteens of fresh water and a host of other stuff in it. It now lives upstairsfull time! Yay!
                          Beyond that now have six violins, Three, including my original for aMetal and Orchestral work and three dedicated to ACW, stripped as far down as sensible. I used to only have two.
                          [B][I]Christian Sprakes
                          19th Regimental Musician and Bugler[FONT="Impact"][/FONT][/I][/B]

Comment

Re-enacting is what got me into riding! Everytime I ride I use my Mcclellan saddle and if I don't get odd looks from that, I have a horse named Shiloh! I'm usually wearing my slouch hat around everywhere. This week I am working as a staff member at Cub Scout Day Camp, all I've been using is my slouch hat (which everybody thinks is to hot for this weather) my Pritchard backpack, and my 1858 canteen! To top it all off, like most I'm usually broke!
                            Andrew Verdon

7th Tennessee Cavalry Company D

Tennessee Plowboy #1 of the "Far Flung Mess"

Comment

Back in 2007, I started getting up really, really early to work on a uniform for my nephew. I would sew for 90 min or 2 hours before work every week day until his jacket and trousers were done... that was about 3 months!

Well, several coats, trousers, and an overcoat later, I'm still getting up early to sew. The latest project is a linen civilian sack coat (the first civilian garment I've attempted) for an event this August that I'm sure will be hot as blazes!

Sometime next month, I'll start getting up early to build a '61 Springfield!!
                              John Wickett
                              Former Carpetbagger
                              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Working...
                              X