How has Re-enacting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How has Re-enacting...

I write my checks and make my daily journal entries with a Gillott 404 and oak gall ink. It makes both experiences more enjoyable and the practice doesn't hurt.
    Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

I learned some things that were unknown before I got into this:
      1. I can sleep anywhere when exhausted
      2. McDonalds can taste as good as the Thanksgiving dinner
      3. Uncomfortable situations encourage creativity when there is no way out (Backwaters)
      4. Skinny people bring nothing to the table when spooning, look for the heavy infantry
      Regards,
      John Raterink

"If they carried short rifles and shot people far away, they had to be cool"

Comment

I forgot to mention one of the biggest aspects of all. I've lost girlfriends over re-enacting; one ex went so bonkers over it that she cracked into my account here and began monitoring/editing some of my posts. Ah, the good old days of her finding out what events I wanted to go to (or was going to), making plans for us the same weekend, and starting arguments when she learned I had already paid my event registration and made travel plans. Then again, some really awesome relationships have developed because of re-enacting, and there was a time here when my sewing at a coffee shop would somehow land me dates with cute fashion design school girls.

Re-enacting: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems!
        Brian White
        [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
        [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
        [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Originally posted by GreencoatCross View Post
          I forgot to mention one of the biggest aspects of all. I've lost girlfriends over re-enacting;

Re-enacting: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems!
          Outside of a few men, I have lost most of my "friends" and ruined pret near every relationship in the hobby. This hobby for me is best pursued doing my own thing, which I do alot of things like period farming, horsemanship skills development and sewing. I do enjoy spectating top teir events as I love the history and seeing good impressions. In 2009 I did 8 events in connection with this website / community, so far in 2010 I have done one mainstream event w/ nothing on the horizon...but I have had a pretty "history heavy" solo year and taught myself / learned new things / skills nevertheless.

CJ Rideout
          Tampa, Florida

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt Schnapps View Post
            I write my checks and make my daily journal entries with a Gillott 404 and oak gall ink. It makes both experiences more enjoyable and the practice doesn't hurt.
            In today's computer-based world, writing by hand is becoming a lost art. Even if one doesn't used a steel-nibbed pen, practicing penmenship is a GREAT idea!

To Comrade Rideout:
            When we meet a new fellow in-the-flesh, we would all do well to put aside any pre-conceived notions based on internet personae (sp?) and allow for a true first-impression based on the man before us.

I allow everyone the opportunity to tick me off in-person. :P ;) This internet silliness isn't what the hobby is about.
            Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 06-17-2010, 08:46 AM.
            John Wickett
            Former Carpetbagger
            Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

" Skinny people bring nothing to the table when spooning, look for the heavy infantry "

I have to completely disagree with this one, it may vary person to person but hasn't been my experience. Nate Petersburg probably has negative percent body fat and is a blast furnace. I amost froze on Rich Mountain next to Harry Connely.
              John Duffer
              Independence Mess
              MOOCOWS
              WIG
              "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

I actually use the hobby as motivation to keep in shape. I try to run at least 4 miles every other morning, and this last spring I ran my first marathon. One of the things I like to do to keep in rhythm while I run is to go over drill commands in my head. Sounds weird, but it kept me going at mile 24!
                Eric Fair

"A word in earnest is as good as a speech." Charles Dickens - [I]Bleak House[/I]

Comment

Yea, I lost 90lbs so I could look kewl in my CW stuff...little did I realize that if you loose that much weight, you have to buy all new CW stuff...alas!
                  -Ricky Jones

[FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkRed"]In Memory of [SIZE="3"]1[/SIZE]st. Lt. David Allen Lawrence, 44th G.V.I. / K.I.A. Wilderness, Va.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

I've taken jobs purely for the ability to get time off for events, I've lost a wife and a fiance over going to "too many events" (like there is such a thing as too many events), and I recently counted my ownership of 12 different historical items that I use regularly that cost more each than my car, which is over 300,000 miles. Yep, I might be a reenactor....
                    Ross L. Lamoreaux
                    rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Equally guilty of wearing a corded bonnet in the yard and having long , center-parted hair. Also, I covet things like Ross' carpet bag ( which I think hasn't been on a journey in a bit and might need some airing out, hint, hint) not things at most retail establishments.

Lauren Ehas

Comment

well i have to agree with several of you........ive been reenacting for 16 years now and i have owned a wide veriaty of saddles for my horse and i have found myself always grabbing my grimsley or a mcclellan to ride in at home.....of corse i get looks all the time but mostly (hey thats awsome) type........also writing out checks , letters and so on is more enjoyable using a cut tip quill (not only for penmanship, but cuting a quill tip is an art form in its self) .....meding clothing that i would have normally thrown out , to get more life ouyt of (also helps prevent one from going broke!) most noticable i think is shaving, using a cup brush and straight razor makes the mudane act enjoyable

jason klug
                        sgt 7th mich
                        "I appeal to you as a soldier to spare me the humiliation of seeing my regiment march to meet the enemy and I not share its dangers."
                        ~George Armstrong Custer

Comment

These are great responses!
                          [B][FONT=Courier New]~Mia Marie[/FONT][/B]
                          Historical Interpreter

Comment

Re: How has Re-enacting influenced you?

I bet you looked good in that little black dress .... back in the day.

Originally posted by Spinster View Post
                            Currently I own 2 pairs of modern pants, 4 shirts, and one little black dress that fits. There are 13 period dresses in my closet. That is for THIS time period. We will not discuss the number of dresses in the 'for sale' box.
                            [I]"Shout Boys, make a noise, the Yankees are afraid.
                            Something's up and Hell's to pay when Shelby's on a raid!"[/I]

John Burgher
                            Northeast Missouri Rebel
                            Son of Both, Grandson of 1812,
                            Great Grandson of Yorktown Patriot

Comment

Mistah John,

If a man is *of a certain age*, I still do.
                              Terre Hood Biederman
                              Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                              Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Yas, ma'am. I bet you do.

Originally posted by Spinster View Post
                                Mistah John,

If a man is *of a certain age*, I still do.
                                I guess being a re-enactor has opened my mind to a whole set of new things. And more opportunities for some I've always done, too. ;)
                                [I]"Shout Boys, make a noise, the Yankees are afraid.
                                Something's up and Hell's to pay when Shelby's on a raid!"[/I]

John Burgher
                                Northeast Missouri Rebel
                                Son of Both, Grandson of 1812,
                                Great Grandson of Yorktown Patriot

Comment

Working...
                                X