Identify this sword please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify this sword please?

I just won this sword in an on line auction. Have searched the web for info but have found nothing on it. Pattern is like 1840 NCO sword. Could it be french with the eagle on guard? After my bid of $65 had fees added it came to $80. No scabbard with it. Any idea as to value? Thanks for any help you can give. Jim Hensley
    Attached Files
    [FONT="Century Gothic"][/FONT][FONT="Georgia"][/FONT][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Jim Hensley[/FONT]
    Order of Heptasophs 1852

Re: Identify this sword please?

Are there any inscriptions on it, anywhere? I know the musician's sword looks alot like the NCO sword. Maybe that?
    Mike Dudkowski

Comment

Looks French to me. Probably Napoleon III era piece carried by an infantry nco.
      Christopher E. McBroom, Capt.
      16th Ark. Infantry - 1st Arkansas Battalion, C.S.A.

Little Rock Castle No. 1
      Order of Knights of the Golden Circle

Comment

Nice price for that!
        Gary Lee Bradford, Captain
        9th Kansas Regiment Volunteer Cavalry, Company F
        On patrol of the KS / MO border

[COLOR="#4B0082"]In honor of my great-great uncle, Pvt. Sidney J. Hatch, 7th Tennessee Cavalry (US), Co. D, who died Sept. 23, 1863, at the age of 21. .[/COLOR]

Comment

This is not the musicians sword, that lacks the round gaurd, it has the D Guard only.
          [B][I]Christian Sprakes
          19th Regimental Musician and Bugler[FONT="Impact"][/FONT][/I][/B]

Comment

Nice grab. That eagle casting is worth that much alone.
            Pat Brown

Comment

It looks a lot like a Model 1860 staff officer's sword.

Comment

Hallo!

Kinda/sorta, but no it isn't...

Curt
                Curt Schmidt
                In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                -Vastly Ignorant
                -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I think if you were to take it to a show you would get opinions obviously, some bearing more weight then others, but probably couldn't come up with a positive ID, honestly. Which also might explain the low number of bids if it were on proxybid for example.

My guess would be an import M1840 officers sword of a low grade. Possibly a militia piece, or even Mexican War. Cowans had a similar sword several auctions back with the same eagle which was cast separately and applied. That sword however was a much higher grade and had an etched and blued blade as well as its original brass scabbard. They pegged it as an import M1840 and because of the use of the lightning bolts in the eagle motif, a general officers sword. They also referenced it to the S. H. & G. catalog. Looking at yours, I bet the eagle just serves as a general military motif. I believe it realized around $1100.00.

Of that series adopted by the army, only the dragoon and light artillery swords were purely French knock offs, the balance incorporated elements of German design as well, if memory serves.

So, if that holds true, you have IMO an American "styled" sword of European manufacture.

By "low grade" I do mean no frills as opposed to junk. Details with regard to manufacture of the sword may be of a very high quality.

Not experienced with Third Empire swords enough really to add comment but I would expect the initial of Napoleon III in addition to, or even as opposed to, the imperial eagle judging by what I have handled.

Depending on the quality of its manufacture, and if the blade hasn't been abused, I think with regard to value, unless it turns out to indeed be a M18?? whatever sappers, pioneers or similar European piece, you're looking at what a similar period "militia" sword without its scabbard would go for to someone who would recognize it as such. Collectors generally feel comfortable purchasing known pieces. With an odd piece like this, even though it's possibly Mexican War, it might be a "tough" sell. Which too, might also help explain the low number of bids.

If it were mine and I were interested in moving it, I would send it to Cowans and let them describe and auction it.

Regardless, great buy. Congrats!

Regards,

John
                  John Sarver

Comment

This sword is a French NCO or Junior officer's sword from 1830 - 1860's. The Napoleonic "Imperial Guard" eagle is the givaway. It is from the era of Napoleon III, and some of these swords have been found with Roosters, Fleur de lis, and even Pelicans on the shell guard. These Pelican swords quickly get labeled as Louisiana Militia. It is possible, but more than likely carried by a French militia unit who also chose the pelican (Good-Luck) motif as an official or unofficial insignia.
                    Christopher E. McBroom, Capt.
                    16th Ark. Infantry - 1st Arkansas Battalion, C.S.A.

Little Rock Castle No. 1
                    Order of Knights of the Golden Circle

Comment

Working...
                    X