Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Militaria/Surplus in Myrtle Beach, SC

Hi,
    Does anyone know of any militaria or surplus stores in or near Myrtle Beach, SC? I will be going there on vacation in about a week and would like to do some shopping.

Thanks,
    Shawn
    Shawn Sturgill
    Governor Guards
    SCAR

Re: Militaria/Surplus in Myrtle Beach, SC

Shawn:
    I was in the Myrtle Beach area last week. Definitely check out Georgetown, SC which is a 45 minute drive south of Myrtle Beach

The wreck of the Harvest Moon with the still visible smokestack protruding from the water is still visible

Harvest Moon, a 546-ton (burden) side-wheel steamship, was built at Portland, Maine, in 1862 for commercial use. She was purchased by the Navy in November 1863 and placed in commission as USS Harvest Moon in February 1864. The ship was soon sent to join the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron, which operated along the coasts of Florida, Georgia and South Carolina. Rear Admiral John A. Dahlgren, the squadron's commander, made Harvest Moon his flagship, and she served in that capacity for most of the next year. On 1 March 1865, while underway near Georgetown, S.C., with the Admiral on board, she hit a Confederate mine (or "torpedo" in contemporary terms) and sank with the loss of one of her crew. She was subsequently abandoned where she lay.

Regards,
    Mark Susnis
    Mark Susnis
    Msusnis@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...
    X