Dixie Miroku US 1861

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dixie Miroku US 1861

Not for sale, just gloating...picked up one of those Japanese made (Miroku)
    US 1861s that Dixie Gun Works used to sell. They have not been made for
    a half dozen years. Getting rare but there are still a few floating around. This
    one popped up on an internet auction site with a reasonable "buy it now" option
    and it was irresistible. Serial Number 00299. Needed a new ramrod, cone and a good
    cleaning but otherwise mechanically very sound.

I have built a half dozen or so of these in kit form when those were still
    available from DGW, and every one of them was an excellent piece. It is easier to accuracy
    modify and finish a weapon as you go along rather than (for example) stripping the plastic
    finish off an Italian made repro and then refinishing it with boiled linseed oil, and so on.
    The best part is the weight is just about dead-on to the original at 8 3/4 lbs.
    The Euroarms are like 10 1/2 lbs and the Armi Sports are just under 10 lbs.
    It makes a huge difference in the handling of the weapon through the manual
    of arms, as well as reduced fatigue carrying it in the field.

What the Birmingham Parker-Hales were to P53s, these Mirokus are to repro US 1861s.

There is another one listed on the GunsAmerica website at $495 + shipping NIB.
    https://www.gunsamerica.com/97677781....htm?ShowLogin. If you are in the market for
    a decent repro US 1861, you can't do better than one of these. Highly recommended.
    Craig L Barry
    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
    Member, Company of Military Historians

Re: Dixie Miroku US 1861

You lucky dog!

That one you mention on Gunsamerica seems to be gone now....
    Steve Blancard
    Corporal
    13th Virginia Infantry, Company A.

Comment

Sure is. Wow that was fast!
      Craig L Barry
      Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
      Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
      Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
      Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Years back several of us in the old 33rd Wisconsin bought the Dixie kits and built our own '61's and were quite happy with them in most all aspects. A new member showed up at spring muster with an Italian '55 Springfield that loked nice, but when we lifted it it was as if we had suffered a stroke. It seemed so heavy compared to the Miroku. John Wedeward even had some wood removed from the Dixie purchased kit and it was even then closer to the originals he had in his basement collection room. On the march the Miroku weight was much appreciated. Kudos to Craig for bringing up the merits of this weapon once again.
        S.Sullivan
        Last edited by rogue; 07-29-2010, 11:12 AM. Reason: spelin'

Comment

I've got a 63 Miroku that I picked up just because I couldn't pass on the price. Wish I could use it at more events though. Perhaps it will get a workout the last couple years of the 150th events.
          Michael Comer
          one of the moderator guys

Comment

Originally posted by rogue View Post
            A new member showed up at spring muster with an Italian '55 Springfield that loked nice, but when we lifted it it was as if we had suffered a stroke. It seemed so heavy compared to the Miroku.
            That is what I think everytime a pard asks me to hold his italian repro musket for a moment--"too heavy!" I'm glad that I stumbled over a Miroku '61 myself. A pity they/the kits aren't made anymore--since word has gotten around that these are "better" than the Italian ones, it is getting harder and harder to get one. And I know a few guys in my unit who would like one.
            Bene von Bremen

German Mess

"I had not previously known one could get on, even in this unsatisfactory fashion, with so little brain."
            Ambrose Bierce "What I Saw of Shiloh"

Comment

There is no perfect reproduction and the Miroku's are not above criticism. HOWEVER...

When you consider that we are trying to recreate how a soldier lived, including how he carried and used his equipment on the march and on the drill field (yeah... and the battlefield, too), the Miroku '61's, because of their weight, are head and shoulders above the Italian repops.

I'm still looking forward to building a '61! That day's a comin', an' it won't be long!
              John Wickett
              Former Carpetbagger
              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

What a pile of road apples!
                You want authenticity, its going to cost you.
                Or your going to have to learn how work for it for yourself. Think about learning how to sow and or do button holes
                The same is true in any other aspect of the Material Cultural of the period.
                Why would anyone cheap out on His or Her hobby where their firearms are concerned? They are "Cheap", thats why!

You, any of you, want a lighter firearm? Make it lighter by learning how to do it yourself, if money is the issue. Or having someone that knows what they are doing, taking all that excess wood off that reproduction stock/fierarm that is not supposed to be there!
                This has a 100% more positive effect on the feel of the firearm, than any other form of "defarbing".
                Last edited by Blair; 07-29-2010, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X