Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Digital restoration of the Fontayne and Porter 1848 Daguerreotype of the Cincinnati waterfront

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital restoration of the Fontayne and Porter 1848 Daguerreotype of the Cincinnati waterfront

Nice article and a truly wonderful image:

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/0...type_panorama/
    Eric Fair

"A word in earnest is as good as a speech." Charles Dickens - [I]Bleak House[/I]

Re: Digital restoration of the Fontayne and Porter 1848 Daguerreotype of the Cincinnati waterfront

I hope Captain Way is smiling. Guessing 2 PM and finding 1:55 on the clock is fairly amazing.
    I may be looking at this one for a long while. Thank you!
    Becky Morgan

Comment

Re: Digital restoration of the Fontayne and Porter 1848 Daguerreotype of the Cincinnati waterfront

My wife went to a conference where the people who did this work gave a talk, and they had parts of the thing blown up to a huge size on a projection screen. She said it was amazing. Some lady had her drawers hanging out to dry on a line the day of the picture, and they were immortalized.

Hank Trent
      hanktrent@gmail.com
      Hank Trent

Comment

This is a cool article. The history, the science, the image itself, the info on daguerreotypes, verifying the guess on the time. Well worth the time for those who haven't clicked on the link. thaks for sharing.
        Pat Brown

Comment

Oooooh. I like! If only a certain other repository of fine historical items based in Washington D.C. would follow suit with their 6,000 glass plate negatives...
          Jason R. Wickersty
          http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
          Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
          Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
          Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
          Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

Working...
          X