Civil War Centennial footage From Gettysburg 1965

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil War Centennial footage From Gettysburg 1965

Came across this neat footage on youtube. Take a look at the hobby 45 years ago

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ken Raia[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Re: Civil War Centennial footage From Gettysburg 1965

Hahaha, when I saw this, I was immediately asking myself how we have...well, not exactly made strides, at least compared to the guys in this video. Half that stuff HAS to be original, this video is nuts. Thanks for posting.
    Ian Broadhead
    Liberty Rifles
    " Lee's Miserables"

Comment

Thanks for posting the link. It's great to see the early days of our endeavour. I believe these guys may be Geo. Gormans NC unit. Not sure though. I heard they had made a short based on the life of Confederate soldiers. The statement about original euipment etc. I know more then a few guys from the Centennial years. I've heard the stories of original uniforms being worn, accouterments, etc. A friend of mine who just passed from this exsistence was a Lt. for the recreated 18th Miss. Inf. here in my area. He told me stories of wearing a original CS offdicers frock and carrying the guys sword to boot.
      The seams on the frock gave way about Gettysburgh 1963 . He said he just threw the Frock in a trash barrel in the Camping area and wore a masonic frock from that point on. Just nuts!!
      Barry Dusel

In memory: Wm. Stanley, 6th PA Cav. Ernst C. Braun, 9th PA. Cav. John E. Brown & Edwin C. Brown, 23rd PVI

Comment

The general level of evident health visible in each participant stuck out to me. Obesity wasn't nearly as big a problem in this country in 1965. Makes a big difference image-wise.
        [SIZE="4"][B][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Eric Michael Burke[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
        [B][I][SIZE="2"][COLOR="SlateGray"]"BLACKJACK!"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B]
        [I][URL="http://www.saltriverrifles.com"]Salt River Rifles[/URL][/I]

[URL="http://xvcorps.blogspot.com/"]Forty Rounds: Fifteenth Army Corps, 1862-1865[/URL], Blog Owner.

[SIZE="1"][i][U][B][COLOR="DimGray"]In Proud Memorium:[/COLOR][/B][/U]
        [B]Pvt. James Swingler Chandler (3x Great Grandfather)
        [/B]Co. H, 111th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
        [B]Pvt. John D. Linthicum (4x Great Grandfather)
        [/B]Co. F, 118th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
        [B]Pvt. Martin Van Buren Straight (3x Great Grandfather)
        [/B]Co. E, 23rd Missouri Volunteer Infantry
        [B]Cpl. Andreas Schoen (3x Great Grandfather)
        [/B]Co. A, 30th Missouri Volunteer Infantry
        [B]Pvt. Madison Burke (3x Great Grandfather)
        [/B]Battery B, 1st Ohio Volunteer Heavy Artillery
        [B]Pvt. Eli Bell (4x Great Grandfather)
        [/B]Co. C, 31st Alabama Infantry[/i][/SIZE]

Comment

This is great footage, thanks for sharing. On a note about wearing the original stuff, while we may cringe at the original reenactors wearing and destroying original items during the centennial and onward you must keep in mind this stuff was plentiful and not collected and prized the way it is today. I am fortunate enough to be good friends with some of the old timers, some who reenacted during the centennial, and they still wear original stuff to this day. I still see guys with original cartridge boxes, cap pouches and canteens. Buttons and buckles are another one you still see guys wearing, myself included. Heck, I even have a good friend who sometimes still walks around Gettysburg in an original Bummer cap some day, but then again when you have been acquiring and collecting a lifetime there is "user quality" and "collector quality", collector quality never leaves the house.

Regards,
          -Seth Harr

Liberty Rifles
          93rd New York Coffee Cooler
          [I]
          "One of the questions that troubled me was whether I would ever be able to eat hardtack again. I knew the chances were against me. If I could not I was just as good as out of the service"[/I]
          [B]-Robert S. Camberlain, 64th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry[/B]

Comment

A friend of mine started reenacting during the centennial and he has told mer about how plentiful original gear was. He told me that the repros were more expensive then the originals and you could by the originals at just about any Army surplus store. It must have been great.
            -Brandon Hand
            48th NY Co. F
            Unit Clerk/Newsletter Editor

Comment

I still have two original jackets I purchased from ZM Military Research. One is a cavalry uniform jacket and the other is an artillery uniform jacket. The former cost about $30.00 and the latter about $25.00! This was in 1958...and I still have the catalogs.

J
              [FONT=Times New Roman]H. L. "Jack" Hanger[/FONT]
              [I]"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at with a rest, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!"[/I] Chickamauga, 1863

Comment

The vid was a fun watch--thanks for posting.
                To me, it seemed the 'no audio' added another element to it, I didn't mind at all.
                [B][FONT=Courier New]~Mia Marie[/FONT][/B]
                Historical Interpreter

Comment

Folks,
                  Interesting to hear these comments. I was one of the guys in this film. It was mostly made over a single weekend at a farm near Gettysburg. The participants were from Gorman's 2nd NC and the 1st MD "Blackhats" mostly with a few of us who were from other groups but sometimes took part in 2nd NC events. Gorman is one of the officers and Ross Kimmel is another (the one in the frock). My "big sceen" was playing the dead Yankee who has his pockets picked although I was in most of the group shots as well. I believe that Ross talks about the making of this flick in his article on re enacting in the '60's. Another participant was Bill Brown who in later years had such an impact through his work with the National Parks Service and wrote the well respected book on men's shirts. Unfortunately for all of us Bill passed away this June and will be greatly missed.
                  I do not believe that any of the uniforms being worn in the movie are original. We were extensively making repros of those items then as now. The main difference is the quality of materials and the historical accuracy of the patterns ond construction technology today. I am proud to say that much of that progress is as a result of the people in the group who did this film, like Bill and a number of our friends and associates at the time (Les Jensen comes to mind). The weapons were all original, however, since the first repros were only just becoming available. The rifle in the "sharpshooter scene" (in part 2 I believe) is an original Whitworth. I was using a type 1 Model 1855 Springfield that I still have (but no longer shoot). The leather accouterments were probably mostly repro but there may have been some originals. The "Blackhats" made and sold leathers which were quite good even by today's standards. Some original stuff was used simply because it was available and much cheaper that the repros. My bayonet scabbard at the time was an original late war Union piece which came out of Bannermans via Bernie Mitchell (a major vendor) and were available in quantity for $5 to $10 each. I also was using an original Union canteen as they were both more available and obviously better than the reproductions of the period. Gorman was a major CW artifact dealer at the time and made some of his money selling things to his unit (some of us believed that is why he formed the unit in the first place!) so some of their accouterments were original as well. It is largely incorrect, however, to believe that people didn't realize or care that they were using original stuff and I am highly doubtfull of stories like the CS Frock story in the posting above. Original "cloth" particularly Confederate items were rare then as today. Yes there were the Bannerman late war Artillery jackets, etc that were readily available in the late 50's and early 60's but the Centennial meant there was a lot of interest in that stuff and people were more collecting and less wearing the originals.
                  It's is still good to see that our early work has withstood the test of time.
                  Dick Milstead
                  Hardaway's Alabama Battery
                  The Company of Military Historians
                  Richard Milstead

Comment

Talk to Spence Waldron sometime. He has told me on many occasions of drinking from original canteens and taking beat up canteens apart and using them for dinner ware.
                    William Lee Vanderburg
                    26th NCT

Robert S. Bowers / 4th NC
                    Calvin Spry / 57th NC

Comment

We talk about the original CW items that were used and ask WHY! However this is still happening today. Although I do not do WWII reenacting I know many people that do and use many original items without thinking twice. As mentioned above sometimes the originals are cheaper than the repros. What will people think about this in 45 years.
                      Brandon Ledvina

Comment

Working...
                      X