Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Theft From the Needle and Thread, Gettysburg

From the website!!!!!!!!!
    In fewer than 24 hours, we've reached 56% of our goal! Great show of support from the community -- even people who've never had the chance to visit N&T!
    That is tremendous! Keep it up gang! Email your friends! The goal can be met by the week end!!!! Way to step up! Taking care of each other is the name of the game. :)

DONATE HERE PLEASE! Every dollar counts!!! http://needleandthread.bbnow.org/index.php
    [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
    ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Great job so far!! Now we need to make a website inorder to catch the thief, who should then be required to make a $800 donation to a charity as well as do some time.
      Chad Phillips
      Lancaster, PA

Comment

I just spoke to Darlene a little bit ago and she was surprised to hear that word had traveled so quickly. She also sounded happy that so many people are concerned about what happened.

I was curious, so I did some looking around online for Pennsylvania Statutes and what the punishment would be. It was somewhat difficult to interpret based upon a five minute search and the fact that their laws are set up differently than what I am used to. But, based upon the offense and the amount taken, it appears as though the penalty could be up to 2 years in prison. Now, if the legal process in that county is anything like the one I deal with on a weekly basis, the charges would probably be amended down and some sort of slap on the wrist would be issued (maybe some jail time and probationary period for a guilty plea to a lesser charge with restitution to be paid).

I told Darlene that her best move would be to file a report with the local police so the event is at least documented. That way, if any information did become available about a suspect, a warrant could then be taken out to see that person is actually charged criminally and she could have the courts demand she be granted restitution for what could not be recovered.

Darlene explained to me that she noticed the thread missing last Friday 08/20/10 while she was doing inventory. So, she believes that the theft would have occurred at some point last week. She said that an entire box of linen thread and several more spools of County Cloth thread had been taken. You all are obviously aware of the dollar amount.

My advice would be to take note of anyone selling that type of thread at an event out of their car or on a ground cloth somewhere that is not a typical vendor. I'm sure that someone knows something about what happened other than the person responsible. Thieves talk because they're not very intelligent. Unfortunately, if no one talks, then the chances of finding this person is very very unlikely. It's pretty thin to begin with. Of course it would be nice to have this person charged for what they did, but it doesn't seem very likely. And unless a police report is filed, any information that may come about regarding who did it would be useless because the police would have nothing to go on not being aware of the incident to investigate.

The good part about all of this is that no one was hurt, no property was damaged, and you all have come together as a community to lend support to good people that were victimized by a petty thief.

Think I'll place an order with them to help out :teeth_smi
        Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by PetePaolillo View Post
          It is a very troubling sign of the times. Keep your eyes peeled on Ebay as well. Logwood dyed thread will most likely only travel in our circles and Rev War. It is sad indeed. I am not sure if this has been suggested already as I have not read every single post....
          I would like to propose a mini fundraiser for Darlene and the fine folks at Needle and Thread. Could anyone maybe set up a paypal account and have people donate to it? It would be nice to show her that the community as a whole cares about her. It would be nice to help her recover the cost. I know it is tough on everyone right now financially but withh 3000+ members here. If a bunch of people just threw in 5 or ten bucks it would be very helpful. What do you folks say?
          Pete
          Just let use know where to send the money.
          Doc
          Jim "Doc" Bruce
          War means fightn and fightn means killn.
          L 'audace, l 'audace, Toujours l 'audace.
          Every man must know his limitations.

Comment

Originally posted by majdoc View Post
            Pete
            Just let use know where to send the money.
            Doc
            SORRY didnt go far enough. found the site. Thanks
            Jim "Doc" Bruce
            War means fightn and fightn means killn.
            L 'audace, l 'audace, Toujours l 'audace.
            Every man must know his limitations.

Comment

Originally posted by majdoc View Post
              SORRY didnt go far enough. found the site. Thanks
              It is ok! Thanks Doc! See ya in a couple weeks.

$513 RAISED SO FAR! ALMOST THERE GANG! GREAT JOB TO ALL

DONATE HERE PLEASE! Every dollar counts!!! http://needleandthread.bbnow.org/index.php
              [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
              ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Donations have slowed down just a bit. we are at $538.00 raised so far. I thought I would give this another bump to maybe recruit some new folks who are just hearing about this. Won't you consider making a donation today? DONATE HERE PLEASE! Every dollar counts!!! http://needleandthread.bbnow.org/index.php
                [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

I flipped a few bucks their way yesterday even though I've yet to do business with them. Out of curiousity: was the $800 figure representing retail value or their wholesale investment in the thread?

Paul McKee
                  Paul McKee

Comment

Originally posted by 33rdsignal View Post
                    Also be aware of people selling Charlie Childs Logwood Thread that dont usually have it. I believe Darlene was selling it at $16 a spool. So if you notice anyone having a firesale on 50 spools of Logwood thread, be weary!
                    $800 worth
                    [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                    ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by PetePaolillo View Post
                      $800 worth
                      That would be the retail value to answer the man's question.
                      Jim Kindred

Comment

Ive been a supporter of Needle and Thread for a long time and was shocked to hear of the theft. Its amazing how low people will stoop. However I did have to question the donations, not because I dont beleive in helping support Darlene or for what matter anyone else in our community but because as a registered business this theft should be covered by her insurance company. I was privy to a very similar situation a few years, however in another state. If anyone is more familiar with PA business insurance requirements please speak up. Again I am very ready and willing to donate, if the loss wont be covered by their insurance as is typically the case.
                        Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Comment

The last thing you ever want to do when you suffer a minor loss as a business or homeowner is file a claim. $800 is likely WAY under their deductable as well. I self insure for the first $2500 on my home and was completely self insured on my business a while back. Just having a business doesn't mean that your business is insured against loss. An aquantaince of mine owns a relic shop and no insurance company will touch it due to the rarity and value of the items within. He suffered a minor fire a few years ago and a number of items were lost...... he took it in the tukus.
                          Robert Collett
                          8th FL / 13th IN
                          Armory Guards
                          WIG

Comment

You are probably right in the insurance thing but then again what about deductables?
                            What has happened here is a reaction to a crime by well meaning people.
                            As a member of the community and a person who desires more of the accurate end, I want these people to stay in business and know that I value their efforts and that the community does as well.
                            I have visited this store and discussed things with the proprietors, I have never bought anything of them. Not because their work was substandard, but because I did not at that time need what was in stock. I was impressed with the quality. I cannot stand by while our few accurate suppliers suffer such meaningful losses and have made my donation. Let them walk away from this with a feeling of support from the community and a further desire for accuracy.
                            Erik Simundson
                            Erik Simundson

Comment

I heard about this at RTM this past weekend and am only loggin into the AC this AM. In addition to donating, I have re-posted the news and link to the donation site to the Authentic F&I yahoo site, The Rev War buy sell and trade yahoo list, and the 18th Century Field Music yahoo list. Hopefully we can get a little more traction from there as well.
                              Brad Ireland
                              Old Line Mess
                              4th VA CO. A
                              SWB

Comment

Originally posted by cprljohnivey View Post
                                I heard about this at RTM this past weekend and am only loggin into the AC this AM. In addition to donating, I have re-posted the news and link to the donation site to the Authentic F&I yahoo site, The Rev War buy sell and trade yahoo list, and the 18th Century Field Music yahoo list. Hopefully we can get a little more traction from there as well.
                                That is excellent Brad! Thanks for getting the word out. $628.00 raised so far!!! :)
                                [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                                ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
                                X