Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theft From the Needle and Thread, Gettysburg

Hello all,
    Just wanted to pass on some info i found out today on my trip to Gettysburg. I went into Needle and Thread to purchase a spool of Logwood Dyed Thread for one of my projects. When i inquired about its location, i was answered by a very serious and angry Darlene(The Proprietor). Apparently, over 800 dollars worth of Logwood dyed thread was stolen from her store. The thief didnt just take one spool, but the whole mother lovin' box!! Unfortunately, she suspects (and I have to agree) a reenactor stole the thread as she said "No one outside of the CW reenacting hobby has much use for it."

The Police have been contacted, and there is a reward for information leading to the arrest of the thief. If you have any info please contact Darlene at the Needle and Thread.

I have been reenacting for close to 20 years, and this is definitly not the kind of people to be sharing tents with, or watching our gear. Thieves are the lowest of low, and they should all be drummed out of our camps.

Now off to find a spool of thread.......

Respectfully,
    Chad Phillips
    Lancaster, PA

Re: Theft From the Needle and Thread, Gettysburg

This really sucks. Darlene & Co. are some of the nicest, most professional folks out there. I always make it a point to stop by, say hello (and do a little shopping) when I'm in town.

I hope some day the scumbag that did this realizes how pathetic he is to steal from honest, hard working people.
    Dan Wambaugh
    Wambaugh, White, & Company
    www.wwandcompany.com
    517-303-3609
    Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Also be aware of people selling Charlie Childs Logwood Thread that dont usually have it. I believe Darlene was selling it at $16 a spool. So if you notice anyone having a firesale on 50 spools of Logwood thread, be weary!
      Chad Phillips
      Lancaster, PA

Comment

Better yet, let Darlene know so she can contact authorities.

To the thief, you will be found out eventually. How is it going to feel when you are barred from EVERY event, get arrested, lose many many friends, all for some spun cotton.
        Robert Collett
        8th FL / 13th IN
        Armory Guards
        WIG

Comment

Chad,

If you haven't already done so you may want to post this on the other forums as well.
          Robert Collett
          8th FL / 13th IN
          Armory Guards
          WIG

Comment

Losing $800 of inventory is no small deal, especially in this down economy. I don't think it would take too many more issues like this for businesses like N&T to decide that dealing with reenactors just ain't worth it.
            If we want vendors to take care of us, then we need to take care of them. I would love to see the $&#!@* brought to justice... even more if he was busted by a reenactor.
            John Wickett
            Former Carpetbagger
            Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Burglarized, shop lifted, armed robbery ?

CJ Rideout
              Tampa, Florida

Comment

Originally posted by OldKingCrow View Post
                Burglarized, shop lifted, armed robbery ?
                Sounds like shop-lifting based on the original post.
                John Wickett
                Former Carpetbagger
                Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

My wife and I were up there this past weekend and we saw that same note. Sad! While I usually do not reply to post like this, it's a shame. Darlene and company are some of the nicest people in the biz. I also agree with Mr. John Wickett about the loss of $800.00 worth of inventory in today's economy.
                  John A. Miller, Director
                  Monterey Pass Battlefield Park

Comment

It was shoplifted.
                    Chad Phillips
                    Lancaster, PA

Comment

It is a very troubling sign of the times. Keep your eyes peeled on Ebay as well. Logwood dyed thread will most likely only travel in our circles and Rev War. It is sad indeed. I am not sure if this has been suggested already as I have not read every single post....
                      I would like to propose a mini fundraiser for Darlene and the fine folks at Needle and Thread. Could anyone maybe set up a paypal account and have people donate to it? It would be nice to show her that the community as a whole cares about her. It would be nice to help her recover the cost. I know it is tough on everyone right now financially but withh 3000+ members here. If a bunch of people just threw in 5 or ten bucks it would be very helpful. What do you folks say?
                      [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                      ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

I would throw in a couple bucks.
                        Chad Phillips
                        Lancaster, PA

Comment

I would absolutely throw some money in for that. She has been a huge help in working with me on a large order from Hainsworth in England. I could not have pulled that off without her support. A donation would be a great idea.
                          Rob Bruno
                          1st MD Cav
                          http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Working on a fundraising site now. Stay tuned...
                            Marc A. Hermann
                            Liberty Rifles.
                            MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
                            Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

I'd pitch in for that - N&T is my favorite place to shop when traveling to/through Gettysburg.
                              [FONT="Georgia"][I]Marc Averill[/I]
                              Dirigo Grays
                              CWT[/FONT]

[I][COLOR="Blue"]"Time sets all things right. Error lives but a day. Truth is eternal." [/COLOR][/I]
                              Lt. General James Longstreet

Comment

Working...
                              X