Hunter's Raid, a movie review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunter's Raid, a movie review

Thought I would offer up a short review of Greg Starbuck’s film “Hunter’s Raid”, (The Battle for Lynchburg).

Those who participated in the filming and many on this forum have been anxiously awaiting this epic release. While it was delayed for technical reasons (beyond Greg’s control) it is finally here and it was definitely worth the wait!

This production rivals any documentary you can find on any of the history/military genre channels on TV regardless of the budget. Instead of just presenting the details and recreating battle scenes as is the case with many such films, this one educates the audience as to the cause and effect of the events and puts them into the greater context of the times.

The viewer is orientated to the strategic situation in Virginia that led up to the battle through the use of maps, narration and accounts of participants both soldier and civilian. The events are recreated by weaving footage of various reenactments, staged vignettes and contemporary photographs together with some very talented editing. The result is not the usual dry boring lecture but a truly entertaining experience that draws the audience in and holds their attention throughout the film.

Through his perseverance, patience and leadership, Greg was able to see his vision become a reality. The list of people who assisted Greg to bring this project to fruition over the past five years is undoubtedly large and distinguished. From the perspective of an occasional extra, two names stand out that were instrumental in making this happen. Robert Hodge and Andrew Prasse. Rob’s accomplishments speak for themselves and Andrew should most definitely pursue filmmaking as he has a real talent for it.

All and all a great film and well worth the small pittance Greg is offering them at, plus the proceeds go to preservation. A definite win-win for everyone.
    Bryan Beard
    Virginian

Re: Hunter's Raid, a movie review

Your review got me interested, so I looked up where/how to order...

I'll be getting a copy.

Kevin Dally
    Kevin Dally

Comment

Working...
    X