This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Attendance Reenacting

Just to throw in my 2 cents: When some of us started into the hobby in the 1990s there was a lot of veterans from the Vietnam era in the hobby...in some regards some units were almost like VFW post in farby wool uniforms. The hobby served as a gathering place for vets and as some of those vets grew older they moved onto other things in life. Many younger members at that time went to serve in the military post 9/11 and have been fairly busy over the past few years (I ended up taking an almost 9 year hiatus from the hobby due to multiple deployments, training requirements, and just wanting a "break" from the Army) I can think of at least 4-5 of my closest pards from the mid 1990s that ended up in the various branches of service and have remained in service either due to the economy or due to love of their jobs and have not been back to the hobby since. Right now we are in the middle of a generational gap as our latest generation of veterans either leaves service or begins to retire. With the 150ths around the corner, those same pards have been emailing and calling back and forth and dusting their kits off.

So naysayers a few points:
    1) 150th will cause a lot of buzz for the hobby, buzz is good and interest will grow
    2) Economy will get better (always does) people will have disposable income and will be able to afford to travel
    3) New generation of veterans will be looking for something....once you come back across the pond and exit service there is a part of you that will miss it and will be looking for something to fill that void (hard to explain)

Only issues to overcome are:
    1) Engaging the public and getting their interest, making events accesible and a little more organized.
    2) increased effort at recruiting (internet sites and multimedia... for example this recuiting video on YouTube by the 26th North Carolina is impressive http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cx5AadXIro)
    3) making the hobby seem less like a "good ole boy" club, there has to be a family side of the hobby and the hobby needs to be accesible for everyone

just my 2 cents, but those are my thoughts. I might post some more thoughts, but I am in class now and the instructor is glaring at me.
    Jared Nichols

Liberty Rifles
    - The French Mess

Comment

I had never considered that "texting" issue, but that too is a valid point. Many today find it easier to talk with a machine instead of a spontaneous conversation. Another thing that I have noticed lately is that some folks are stuck in a rut. I know a few different groups of folks who seem to be the one-trick-pony types, who never mix up their interpretation. I guess being in one unit is OK, but doesn't it get a bit dull at times? I know some civilians who have done the same impression for 20 years, isn't it time to address the fact that you're now older, and that you're attending but not doing any real interpretation at all? Change is a really good thing, and some folks just leave instead of trying something new. I find the same groups of people bring the same predictablity, you really need to give some thought into bringing new impressions into the mix to create that spark again.

And yes, recruit. People still love history, we just don't get the word out to them, so you sort of have to hunt them down and be as welcoming as possible. Perhaps when we recruit, we should get the point out there right away that you don't have to be the same impression forever.

Where do you suppose would be the best places to look for youth, high school's, colleges? Perhaps we should get to know those history teachers in this world eh?
      Mfr,
      Judith Peebles.
      No Wooden Nutmegs Sold Here.
      [B]Books![B][/B][/B] The Original Search Engine.

Comment

The biggest recruitment aids is not large events its TV & the movies. The 125 cycle created units & organized units but it was the Ken Burns series that brought the Civil War into everyone’s house. From that series the local media would do a spot light on some local unit or event. If someone had an interest he would go and see the local event, and if the reenactors looked like they were having fun and were friendly you might get a recruit. There hasn’t been any mass media Civil War event since, (Gettysburg and Gods & Generals don’t count). Saving Pvt. Ryan and the 50th anniversary did something similar for WWII.

Everything has its cycle, reenacting is no different, but I do believe that CW reenacting and reenacting in general is on a diminishing sinusoidal wave.
        Dutchy

Jim Fortnam
        CaughtOff Guards

Comment

Originally posted by Drygoods View Post
          I had never considered that "texting" issue, but that too is a valid point. Many today find it easier to talk with a machine instead of a spontaneous conversation. Another thing that I have noticed lately is that some folks are stuck in a rut. I know a few different groups of folks who seem to be the one-trick-pony types, who never mix up their interpretation. I guess being in one unit is OK, but doesn't it get a bit dull at times? I know some civilians who have done the same impression for 20 years, isn't it time to address the fact that you're now older, and that you're attending but not doing any real interpretation at all? Change is a really good thing, and some folks just leave instead of trying something new. I find the same groups of people bring the same predictablity, you really need to give some thought into bringing new impressions into the mix to create that spark again.

And yes, recruit. People still love history, we just don't get the word out to them, so you sort of have to hunt them down and be as welcoming as possible. Perhaps when we recruit, we should get the point out there right away that you don't have to be the same impression forever.

Where do you suppose would be the best places to look for youth, high school's, colleges? Perhaps we should get to know those history teachers in this world eh?
          I'm young(19) and was 'recruited' through (museum/state park) living history events...I attended them so often, that I started recognising and befriending the re-enactors...soon I joined the hobby.:wink_smil
          I was drawn to the primitive aspect of re-enacting...being able to escape for a weekend and forget about the electronic ties of today.
          Media is a great recruiting tool. I enjoy taking photos of events and sharing them online...now many of my friends are really starting to get interested in the hobby which is encouraging.
          [B][FONT=Courier New]~Mia Marie[/FONT][/B]
          Historical Interpreter

Comment

I don't think texting and other forms of technology are really to blame for any sort of trend in the hobby. Considering that here in my area, at least, malls, movies and restuarants are still popular with teens and young adults shows that we still know how to socialize the good ol' fashioned way outisde of an electronic machine. You go through downtown Salt Lake and there are cafes, clubs, and malls still filled with young adults and teens. So, rather than blame technology, let it be our friend and ally.

From a young adult's perspective (I'm 25), the only visible part of the hobby is the mainstream. And do we honestly expect massive amounts of teenagers/young adults to want to hang out with over weight middle aged men who do nothing but shoot black powder at eachother and then sit in the tent on their cot drinking beer out of the cooler? To support what Mr. Wickett has said many times in and outside of this thread, the authentic side of the hobby is not very visible so therefore it will remain invisible to the outside public. With our invisibility comes our inability to break down the stereotypical view of a Civil War Living Historian/Reenactor which has been created through mainstream events.

In my opinion, the best place would be to start a living history club at the local community college or university. It would attract those that are like minded as far as history goes. Only people with some sort of love of history would join a history club. I've considered starting one at the university I attend but I have yet to learn how to start it.
            Kenny Pavia
            24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Guardsman View Post
              The biggest recruitment aids is not large events its TV & the movies. The 125 cycle created units & organized units but it was the Ken Burns series that brought the Civil War into everyone’s house. From that series the local media would do a spot light on some local unit or event. If someone had an interest he would go and see the local event, and if the reenactors looked like they were having fun and were friendly you might get a recruit. There hasn’t been any mass media Civil War event since, (Gettysburg and Gods & Generals don’t count). Saving Pvt. Ryan and the 50th anniversary did something similar for WWII.

Everything has its cycle, reenacting is no different, but I do believe that CW reenacting and reenacting in general is on a diminishing sinusoidal wave.
              Jim,

That is a great point. Pop culture has a HUGE influence on the popularity of our hobby.

Jim Butler
              Jim Butler

Comment

Hmmm...

I felt like I kinda gave that big numbers-thing up when I left the farbo-fest events... doesn't bother me too much anymore. But I can see how it might bum-out others after purchasing an expensive kit... I got my fix for numbers at the 'compromise' event that Anders had two weeks ago. That was a very fun run and the numbers were decent. Had they been lower, it wouldn't have bothered me.

That same illusion of numbers can be had when terrain is limiting like in Piney Woods, where we were in a bayou surrounded by hilly terrain with about 200ish (?) on each side and foliage to hide behind. The illusion was definitely there for that one. Terrain can make a difference regarding illusion of numbers.

Plus, better events are usually located near original land and those that are not don't see bigger numbers generally. Better events have become regional-specific things in recent years. Every time someone suggests hosting a better event in New England, the effort seems to fall-apart. Why? A) It didn't happen here B) mainstreamers are the accepted norm in the hobby here whereas in the South the population generally 'tries to do it right' more often and C) fewer people can get up here to attend from other parts of the country.

As far as attracting bigger numbers to c/p/h events, I think economics is a, if not THE, leading factor these days. A quality shell jacket can be costly and food/powder/logistics/misc. expenses to get to said better events can be quite cost-prohibitive. Add to this is a bad economy and little expendable income by individuals that would otherwise participate, and you have lower turnout. It will bounce-back as the economy gets better, I think.

Also, could people be saving their attendance (and dollars) for the 150th-round of events ...???

Interesing conversation, but I ain't stressed about it...:wink_smil
                Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 09-07-2010, 02:53 PM.
                Johnny Lloyd
                John "Johnny" Lloyd
                Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                SCAR
                Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

I think that the points about economy, military deployments and pop culture focus on other time periods are all spot on reasons that numbers are small right now. In addition however, I would argue that there is also an inertia issue or a lack of momentum as well.

Back in the streamer days, most units were made up of local guys and had at least one event a month. Those guys were your friends and you were really eager to get out and see them again in a couple weeks. Our units on the other hand are much more geographically diverse, and the events are far fewer in number in any given region. The result is that when there is less going on, life interferes and you have less motivation to get out, which turns into a vicious circle.

Some one will say, "What do you mean there are less events?!" It is true that there are several very high qaulity events still going on with decent frequency the geogrpahy of where those events are are spread all over the map. If a person is either truely devoted, or has the economic means and time off to travel, there are no shortage of events. For those of us who aren't so blessed, there is a lot less to choose from. If you doubt it, total up the number of C/H/P events that were heald in the Mid-Atlantic states this year...doesn't amount to much.

Take care,
                  Tom Craig
                  Tom Craig

Comment

Today it seems that to get excited about history there needs to be a major media event. When I go to airshows and take books to be signed, the only veterans with lines in front of them are the ones who had mini series about their units. If you had to read the book to find out about the author's exploits it was easy to have an extended conversation with that veteran. It has been a long time since Ken Burns and the movie "Gettysburg." I have been speaking to friends about this issue, and they feel that the 150th anniversary will go out with a wimper unless another major movie has record turnouts or a popular mini series with a Civil War theme hits the airwaves. Setting up tables at re-enactments for recruiting will not do it, only a blockbuster media event will make the difference. That is what it will take to get the younger generation involved, if the economy allows it. Perhaps after a while they would even find a weekend away from technology is refreshing like all of us have. Another major problem is the decline of the middle class. Many young adults with good paying jobs are too busy paying back student loans to consider a rather expensive hobby. No bucks, no Johny Reb or Billy Yank. Beckwith

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Lloyd View Post
                      I felt like I kinda gave that big numbers-thing up when I left the farbo-fest events... doesn't bother me too much anymore. But I can see how it might bum-out others after purchasing an expensive kit... I got my fix for numbers at the 'compromise' event that Anders had two weeks ago.
                      I think there are a lot of valid points to ponder here, and many of them may be part of the truth, but Johnny is touching on something I was thinking throughout. If people aren't exposed to ANY LH events, they can't know they might want to do it. However, the events that get the most eyes looking at the goings on are farb-fests. Maybe one way to counter all the factors that lead to our decline is to compromise from time to time, hold our noses, and participate in farb-fests in order to recruit. The unit I belong to out here is farby, no question. In the morning I see candy wrappers, air mattresses poking out from beneath triangle end pieces of tents, and railroad-type lanterns. That said, we pick up at least 1-2 new members every single event. Why? We have enough loaner gear to supply just about anyone who wants to try it out, plus we have a mess that feeds the whole company it's farby food for free. We let entire families camp together. In short, farbiness defined.

On the other hand, there are some shadowy organizations here that I occasionally hear of that are decently authentic, but I don't know of them outside of one annual event. I can't speak to their numbers. But say they were better known. Members could be dual members of that and our big, farby company as well, thus giving the opportunity to recruit from within the hobby. Because of family obligations that keep me away these days mostly, I can't participate in more than a few events a year. When I was at every one, I felt I was having somewhat of an effect in drawing a few of the young guys toward a more authentic experience. I don't criticize the farby things the company does, but I quietly don't participate and will gladly (and gently) explain why to anyone who asks. Usually I say it's because I want to get as much of the experience as possible, and that to go 95% of the way in this hobby is sort of nonsensical to me (as Hamish in Braveheart put it, "We didn't get dressed up for nothing."). However, I do now realize that people get into this hobby for myriad reasons, so I also now realize I don't have to make my choices a referendum on theirs. Once they see that it's possible to be authentic and also not die for a lack of cookies or lemonade, it gradually becomes an easier sell.

That's just my experience. If those of you lucky enough to live somewhere where the mainstream and the c/p/h crowds are equally served, it might behoove you to sidle up to the mainstreamers and lead by example. You may even snag an onlooker who just needs the tiniest reason to get into the hobby. Without you there to guide them, someone's going to steer them to some Pakistani garbage uniform and tell them to bring plenty of fruit rollups and Gatorade. I love anyone who is into this history, but by simply being there at the mainstream events you might just have two possible "revenue streams" just waiting to be guided.
                      Joe Marti

...and yes, I did use the search function...

Comment

Well Joe, I sure hope that I get to see you at Tres Pinos next week! It's not too far from home. (very big grin)

Mia, I started just the same way, volunteering with docents at a state park, and I still recall that time as one of the best of my life. And even today, I still support LH groups from historic sites.

As for recruiting and getting new folks into the hobby, it will soon happen again. With the cycle of the sesquicentennial just in the next year, we will see people come back around, and volunteer to participate with us. But as I said in a previous post, we need to help young folks in this econmy, give a little to help the larger group work better as a whole.

As for the texting, if you wish to notice how big that craze is, just watch folks walking around at a mainstream event. It's everywhere. Happily, I still don't even own a cell phone, as I'm a real ludite!
                        Last edited by Drygoods; 09-09-2010, 09:02 AM. Reason: my smiley face didn't work :(
                        Mfr,
                        Judith Peebles.
                        No Wooden Nutmegs Sold Here.
                        [B]Books![B][/B][/B] The Original Search Engine.

Comment

We who do events of various sorts are chiming in here. Anybody think to ask somebody who
                          doesn't do events anymore? My son dropped out about a year ago--gradually doing less and
                          less then finally stopped. I think I'll ask him...
                          Craig L Barry
                          Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                          Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                          Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                          Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Attendance and interest are cyclical, not only for the collective hobby but also for individuals. I started reenacting when I was 15 and now I’m 35. Over the past 20 years I’ve fallen in and out of the hobby at least three or four different times. It’s the nature of the beast.

I’d say that America’s poor physical health is the primary cause for a decline in ACW reenacting. The young and fit (mating age so to say) are not likely to be attracted to a hobby consisting largely of the morbidly obese. Having just recently trimmed about 20 pounds off my frame over the past year, I’m aware of how hard it is to stay fit in a world of fast food and laziness. I can’t imagine how challenging it must be for somebody to lose 100+ pounds. Still, this is what must be done. If anything will ever kill ACW reenacting it will be a collective heart attack or type II diabetes.

The history of the ACW is timeless and woven into our national fabric. It will never die. It will only take one new movie to bring about interest again. It’s the awful condition of the rank and file at present that will chase the new recruits away.

Some of the stereotypes of “generation Y” are true. As a member of “generation X” I can honestly say that most of the mud that was thrown our direction turned out to be completely unwarranted. Kids now have some challenges, but they aren’t all bad.

I’m sorry if I ruffle some feathers with this post, but it’s true. Many people in this country now honestly think (falsely) that getting horribly overweight is a function of age. It’s not. Stop blaming ipods and new fangled technology on the fall of the hobby. We’ve become fat because we eat horrible food, too much of it, drive four blocks to the store, and sit on our butts for a living.

The best thing any of us can do to improve the hobby is get back to fighting weight.

-Tad
                            Last edited by UnionMan; 09-09-2010, 02:06 PM.
                            Tad Salyards
                            Mpls, MN - 33d Wisconsin

Comment

Originally posted by UnionMan View Post

I’m sorry if I ruffle some feathers with this post, but it’s true. Many people in this country now honestly think (falsely) that getting horribly overweight is a function of age. It’s not. Stop blaming ipods and new fangled technology on the fall of the hobby. We’ve become fat because we eat horrible food, too much of it, drive four blocks to the store, and sit on our butts for a living.

The best thing any of us can do to improve the hobby is get back to fighting weight.

-Tad
                              I quit doing events because the reality is I am a cartoonish representation of a mid-19th Century man.

CJ Rideout
                              Tampa, Florida

Comment

While I don't disagree that the the collective "we" needs to get into better physical condition, the question posed in the initial post is asking why numbers are down.

I think Mess'r Barry asks very good question:
                                Why have gents STOPPED participating?

Yes, there are issues of guys getting older and having kids who have sports on the weekends. However, there are guys who could still be participating, but choose not to.

Why?

I'm not talking about guys who've opted out of the authentic realm for the mainstream.
                                I'm talking about guys who've opted out of the hobby (or at least the ACW time period) altogether.

Recruiting is part of the numbers equation, but so is retention.

John
                                "There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza" Mess
                                John Wickett
                                Former Carpetbagger
                                Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Working...
                                X