What happened to the ORs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to the ORs?

Years ago when this forum first started it was primarily about the exchange of research to improve impressions and the hobby as a whole. Often that research came from the Official Records of the War of Rebellion (OR). While a large part of this forum is still historic research now when you scroll through the discussions rarely are the ORs mentioned let alone referenced.

In the 80s we used the 128 volume print version, in the 90s we moved to the CD version. So in the 2000s is this reference of the war no longer relevant or do people just not bother with that level of research any longer? Or maybe I missed the posts that referenced the ORs.

Just curious.
    Jim Kindred

Re: What happened to the ORs?

I can't speak for others. But the with ease of accessibility of the OR's, for me, they are more of a baseline 'given' these days. First place I go, and move out from there.

From that strong framework, I move to diaries, newpapers, and other contemporaneous accounts that are written in broader style, often with more of the detail I'm looking for.

Certainly the OR's are still used---but they are no longer the be all and end all of accounts of military action, just as upper class women's diaries are no longer the only readily available accounts of the lives of civilians.
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

I have to agree with Mrs Lawson, with the ORs so readily accessible they make for a good starting point for research but there are many additional great resources more accessible as well these days. This is especially true as more and more archives, libraries, and other repositories bring their finding aids, catalogs, and even collections online. In research there is a challenge to find those sources and records that have not been so thoroughly examined.

Sadly, I think the reason we don't see the ORs mentioned very often is that many fewer people these days are merely quoting one another, rather than doing actual research into source materials. There once was a time when you'd hear "We should consider changing how we reenact because I saw this great research so-and-so did on this topic shred on the AC", now days you are more likly to hear "I heard x-celebrity reenactor do or say such and such at an event or on the AC so we should copy them."

For those reading this and wondering just what the ORs are, we are talking about The War of the Rebellion: a Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies a monumental attempt by the US government to compile and publish collected records from the the Civil War. It used to be you had to find a library that had this massive collection of books but they have since been digitized and are available online through Cornell's Making of America site.
      Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
      1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
      Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Originally posted by JimKindred View Post
        Years ago when this forum first started it was primarily about the exchange of research to improve impressions and the hobby as a whole. Often that research came from the Official Records of the War of Rebellion (OR). While a large part of this forum is still historic research now when you scroll through the discussions rarely are the ORs mentioned let alone referenced.

In the 80s we used the 128 volume print version, in the 90s we moved to the CD version. So in the 2000s is this reference of the war no longer relevant or do people just not bother with that level of research any longer? Or maybe I missed the posts that referenced the ORs.

Just curious.
        I wish I knew the answer to that. I guess some folks just don't read as much anymore but here they are in all of their glory for anyone to partake in. There is actually some useful info in there. Who would have guessed? ;)

The War of the rebellion: a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies, prepared by R.N. Scott [and others]. 4 ser. 69 vols. [in 127 pt. 'Additions and corrections', dated 1902, have been inserted in the vols. With] Ser.1. Index to battles, campaigns, etc

Official records of the Union and Confederate navies in the war of the rebellion
        United States. Naval War Records Office, United States. Navy Dept Govt. Print. Off., 1898

Sorry for the repeat Troy beat me to it
        [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
        ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

When the task came to research the Federal Unit for Before the Breakout, I spent a couple afternoons in the United Daughters of the Confederacy Museum in Charleston, SC sitting sifting through the ORs for references. Which then led to more detailed research.

And since I'm involved with it... I can say one event that is happening in 2011 is based on the OR's with further elaboration from first person accounts.

And there is still time to register too... just click the link below and step off on another adventure...
          Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Pete, Unfourtunately Google imaged individual volumes seperately, not the whole series so those links only point to two volumes, not the whole series. The Cornell Site makes accessing the serioes much easier.

The ORs consists of multiple valumes, many in multiple parts
            Series I - 53 volumes
            Series II - 8 volumes
            Series III - 5 volumes
            Series IV - 4 volumes

There is also 30 some volumes of Official Records of the Union and Confederate Navies that were published.
            Last edited by AZReenactor; 09-19-2010, 11:19 AM.

Comment

For those who have appreciated the ORs you might want to check out JP Wilson's When the Texans Came: Missing Records from the Civil War in the Southwest, 1861-1862. While the book focuses on the Civil War in the Southwest, the author does a nice job explaining the history of the ORs, how they were compiled, and provides good information on the records were not included. If you appreciate the ORs the introduction of this book is well worth reading.

For the last century the ORs was the go to source for Military records for many authors who never realized that there were many more "official records" (AT NARA and elsewhere) that never made it into the ORs. One of the pushes by academics today is to locate and explore those overlooked and unpublished records.

Comment

Originally posted by AZReenactor View Post
                Pete, Unfourtunately Google imaged individual volumes seperately, not the whole series so those links only point to two volumes, not the whole series. The Cornell Site makes accessing the serioes much easier.

The ORs consists of multiple valumes, many in multiple parts
                Series I - 53 volumes
                Series II - 8 volumes
                Series III - 5 volumes
                Series IV - 4 volumes

There is also 30 some volumes of Official Records of the Union and Confederate Navies that were published.
                Troy, Thanks for your clarification. I saw several others listed, but I did not list all of the ones I found on google. It is a good jumping off point though. Your source is definately more complete. Thanks for posting it.
                [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

About 6 months ago, a former co-worker called me and said that a family just dropped off a bunch of books from a family collection that they didn't know what to do with. So, they donated the books to the high school to use. She told me there were a few "history books" in the collection. Imagine my surprise when I discovered along with several other volumes and series related to the Civil War, but also a complete set of ORs in basically unused condition. I have most recently used them to contribute information for the RTM event held a couple weeks ago. Now the only problem is finding space in my house to unpack the six boxes full of books. I find them to be an incredible resources as well as a start for further research.
                  Rob Bruno
                  1st MD Cav
                  http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Originally posted by AZReenactor View Post
                    Sadly, I think the reason we don't see the ORs mentioned very often is that many fewer people these days are merely quoting one another, rather than doing actual research into source materials. There once was a time when you'd hear "We should consider changing how we reenact because I saw this great research so-and-so did on this topic shred on the AC", now days you are more likly to hear "I heard x-celebrity reenactor do or say such and such at an event or on the AC so we should copy them."
                    Troy,

You hit the nail on the head for the reason of my post. Too many do not do their own research any more, they just act on what x-celebrity reenactor did or said on the AC without any real knowledge of their own. My point was to spark a debate about research, in the golden period of the AC researched based threads were about all you read on here.

I agree also that one of the best places to find period information is in the journals and diaries. These allow you the insight to get inside the head of the people you are trying to represent.
                    Last edited by JimKindred; 09-19-2010, 09:11 PM.
                    Jim Kindred

Comment

deleted by petepaolillo
                      Last edited by PetePaolillo; 09-20-2010, 01:51 PM.
                      [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                      ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Thanks so much for sharing the link to the Cornell site!
                        Bene von Bremen

German Mess

"I had not previously known one could get on, even in this unsatisfactory fashion, with so little brain."
                        Ambrose Bierce "What I Saw of Shiloh"

Comment

Working...
                        X