Tilton Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tilton Rifle

I'm putting together some research for a friend of mine to give to his father who can't get around good anymore. They live at Tilton, Ga and wanted some local information. I've went through the Official Records and learned about several near by engagements and troop movements and this and that. All good stuff.

I learned that at Tilton Joseph John Smith and his son W.H. Smith ran a blacksmith and gunsmith shop where they made and repaired rifles. It was called the Tilton Arsenal. They also made 12 pikes that they sold to the state of Georgia in 1862. I've learned that one Tilton rifle is still in existence but thats as far as I've got. I can't find any information at all about the rifle. Has anyone seen one or even heard of one? I'd also be interested to see one of the pikes. I'd really appreciate it if anybody here could help me out. Thanks.
    Captain Andy Witt
    52nd Geo Vol Inf Co I CSA
    Blue Ridge Mess

http://www.52ndgeorgia.webs.com

Re: Tilton Rifle

Might you mean Tifton, Ga? I've never heard of the rifle in question, but I used to live in Tifton.
    Ben Fowler

In honor of Capt. William Joshua Neary, Quartermaster, 44th Ga. Inf.; Co. K

Not a member of The Leave Early Rifles

Comment

Hallo!

Tis complicated, but in brief and to over-generalize....

Just before the start of the CW, Georgia Governor Joseph Brown had secured some arms from Northern sources that went to arming the mlitia and Georgia's "regular army." After the start of the WAr, even with a boost from the capture of the Augusta Arsenla, small arms quickly became in short supply.

In August of 1861 a convention of gunsmiths in the state was held largely discusisng how to collect and martialize civilian weapons a swell as producing barels that then could be assembled into new rifles. After a visit to the Atlanta state railroad yard shops looking for machinery, the committe recommended four forges be dedicated to making barrels for state-made rifles after the patern of the "Harpers' Ferry rifle." (Which the gunmakers interpreted as the U.S. M1841 Rifle. Adn that became the seed for the "Georgia Armory" contract rifles produced by a numnber of gunsmiths and gunmakers under contract.

An entry in the Georgia Journal and Messenger dated June 12, 1861 noted that:

"A musket and sword factory is being established at Tilton."

At Tilton, was a blacksmith shop and gunsmith shop run by blacksmith and gunsmith Joseph John Martin, and gunsmith William Carroll who apparently briefly formed a compnay Martin, Carroll, & Company between 1861 and 1862 making miitiary rifles and sword.

IIRC, there is one known "Tilton" rifle dated 1861, and one known "M.C. & CO." rifle.

The "Tilton" rifle is, IMHO, a weird "hybrid" incorporating what appears to be an M1841 type barrel and nose cap/band but with everything else looking like it came from or was cloned from a combination of civilian arms and an M1822 style stock and lock.

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Where is the original now? I'd love to see a picture of it. I hadn't read about them making swords also. Thanks for the help.
        Captain Andy Witt
        Blue Ridge Mess

Comment

I was curious about "Tilton, Ga" as well. There is a CDP Tilton, Ga 30721 in Whitfield County. It lies a little south east of Dalton. Tilton Baptist and Tilton Methodist Churches are landmarks and Nance Springs Rd runs through it. There is a Tilton Cemetery a little south of the churches on Nance Springs Rd. All courtesy of Google Earth.
          Last edited by Coatsy; 09-23-2010, 07:21 PM.
          Herb Coats
          Armory Guards &
          WIG

Comment

From what I've been able to gather Tilton was more of a happening place during that time than what it is today. There was a fight there just before Resaca. Another fight took place on October 13, 1864 Confederates over took a block house and captured several men of the 17th Iowa. There were several occasions of both sides coming in and ripping up sections of the railroad and ripping down telegraph wires.

The most interesting event to me happened about 6 miles north of Tilton on July 5, 1864. A 16 car train carrying coffee and flour was attacked by 200-300 dismounted Confederate Cavalrymen. They fired a couple volleys then set the train on fire. All this happened around 6:30 in the evening. The men of the 17th Iowa were at Tilton. Looking north they believed that they were looking at the Northern Lights. After a while they figured out something wasn't right and headed north. They reached the burning train about 10 that night long after the Confederates had left the area. The engineer and conductor were injured but still alive.
            Captain Andy Witt
            Blue Ridge Mess

Comment

All,

If anyone is interested, the information Curt cited is in "Confederate Rifles and Muskets" by Dr. John Murphy and Howie Madus.

It is in the Georgia Armory section and starts on page 250. Photos accompany the chapter.
              Mark Latham

"Mon centre cède, impossible de me mouvoir, situation excellente, j'attaque." ~Ferdinand Foch

Comment

Working...
              X