Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150th Manassas Flintlock Company?

Gents:

Is there any interest to form up a State's Rights flintlock company for the 150th Manassas event? I know Company K, 33rd VA was issued flintlocks just prior to the fight (as were, obviously, a number of Confederate units), and it appears there will be no issues with using them by the event organizers.

As a rock lock toter and fan, I thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone else may want to play. It would be something to see an authentic company out there throwing sparks.

VR, & YOS.
    Rich Libicer
    Fugi's Brown Water Mess

6th North Carolina - 150th First Manassas, July 2011
    4th Texas Dismounted, Co. C - 150th Valverde, February 2012
    6th Mississippi Adjunct - 150th Shiloh, April 2012
    4th Texas Dismounted, Co. C - 150th Glorieta Pass, May 2012
    21st Arkansas Adjunct - 150th Prairie Grove, December 2012
    5th Confederate, Co. C - 150th Chickamauga, September 2013
    Haitus...... Until Now

Re: 150th Manassas Flintlock Company?

Hello Rich,

I would be very interested in joining a company of Confederates using flintlocks at the 150th Manassas. If this takes place it will probably be the first time a Confederate unit will grace the field using flintlocks since the war.

Dan Stewart

Comment

Not to rain on the parade, but further discussion involving this mainstream mega event needs to conform to the carpe eventum guidelines found here : http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...Adjunct-Events
      Silas Tackitt,
      one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Silas- This can be a seperate folder and NOT the 2ns MISSISSIPPI effort Matt and myself are shaping. Just so your post doesn't get confused. As our thread is NOT emcompasing all 1st Manassas efforts. There are 2 company slots avaliable but no need for a Flintlock company as the 2nd maintained conversaion smoothbores during the campaign.
        [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

EMAIL:[EMAIL="saltwaterboy01@gmail.com"]saltwaterboy01@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

[U]Southern Guard Living History Assn.
        [URL="http://www.southernguard.org"]http://www.southernguard.org[/URL]

The Company of Military Historians[/U]

Comment

Moved thread to The Sinks to avoid confusion with other adjunct events.
          John Wickett
          Former Carpetbagger
          Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Thanks Wick!
            [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

EMAIL:[EMAIL="saltwaterboy01@gmail.com"]saltwaterboy01@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

[U]Southern Guard Living History Assn.
            [URL="http://www.southernguard.org"]http://www.southernguard.org[/URL]

The Company of Military Historians[/U]

Comment

Not to rain either.

Under Weapons Section [emphasis mine]

1. 3 band muskets preferred; correct 2 banders and flint locks allowed only by prior written approval from
              the Army commanding General [for CSA, ANV's Jake Jennette] subject to supporting historical documentation and must be restricted to
              use in the front rank only.

2. Flintlocks must have a flash guard shield.
              I hope you can get permissions and are able to pull this off.

Mike
              Mike Schramm

Just another FARB trying to get better.

Comment

Thanks Mike.

I have an e-mail out to Jake Jennette to see if my documentation is sufficient and if they will allow the unit. I will post when I hear back!

Thanks.
                Rich Libicer
                Fugi's Brown Water Mess

Haitus...... Until Now

Comment

Gents:

General Jennette's brief reply was basically a reiteration of the information on the website. Flints in the front rank only, flash guards required. Also, he mentioned that anyone wishing to register had to do so under an "umbrella" organization that will be at the battle. With that, I guess it is fair to assume that, if flints are only allowed in the front rank, there can be no company of flints unless it is a single rank organization.

Therefore, it appears as though the idea of a company of flints, though surely one of the most accurate impressions to be found for this battle, is out of the question. Lawyers don't like them.

VR & YOS.
                  Rich Libicer
                  Fugi's Brown Water Mess

Haitus...... Until Now

Comment

Rich: Thank you for your efforts to form a flintlock company. Yes a flintlock company would be very authentic. But it seem like the flintlocks do not get much respect from not only this event but, it seems, for the hobby in general.

Dan Stewart

Comment

Why not see what is going on at the Manassas Battlefield Park and and if you can raise a History heavy Flintlock company for that? Sure it's not the enactment festival but not all activities have to based around the festivals do they?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
                        Rich: Thank you for your efforts to form a flintlock company. Yes a flintlock company would be very authentic. But it seem like the flintlocks do not get much respect from not only this event but, it seems, for the hobby in general.

Dan Stewart
                        Just like 1841s and other (short-barrel) rifles.
                        "the regulars always do well, and seldom get any credit, not belonging to any crowd of voters"

Darrell Cochran
                        Third U.S. Regular Infantry
                        http://buffsticks.us

Comment

I think there are a ton of people who would be absolutely shocked to learn that there are other people who reenact all kinds of other time periods, and have done so very safely for decades without bizarre and unnecessary "safety" restrictions.

This brings to mind an incident a couple years back when a vendor for earlier time periods introduced a repro of the British 60-round cartridge box, for use by Napoleonic and 1812 reenactors. There was serious consideration amongst the 1812'ers to forming a committee to evaluate the possible safety considerations of using a box that used a tin insert rather than a wooden block.
                          Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

My Recommendation for folks wanting a company o' rock-locks:
                            Find a well-written set of regs for weapons and weapon safety from somewhere in the US, whether Rev War, War of 1812, or whatever. Tweak as necessary for ACW use. Then contact the event organizers/CS commander and make the pitch for a flintlock company.

They will never have the chance to say "Yes" to a flintlock company if no one asks.

...and "'Tis better to ask for forgiveness than for permission" is not a good plan when safety regulations, insurance companies, and lawyers are involved.
                            John Wickett
                            Former Carpetbagger
                            Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

I would recomend these Infantry Tactics by Winfield Scott http://drillnet.net/SCOTTSTACTICS/ScottsSotS.htm#P2
                              We use those from time to time a the National Park where I work. We also have a different set for pre-revolutationary war period. I've got the manual in my hand...it's very detailed with modern color pictures (the NPS version). It came however, from an infantry tactic drill book for militia...I just can't remember which one so i'm looking for it. I 'll post it when I find it.
                              Luke Gilly
                              Breckinridge Greys
                              Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Working...
                              X