Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150th Ideas for Vicksburg NMP

Good Evening,
    Like every other Civil War park in the country, we are brainstorming for creative ideas to commemorate the 150th at Vicksburg National Military Park. Given that everyone on the planet will be in the Keystone State in July 2013, I realize not many living history folks are planning to be in Mississippi at that time. What I would like to hear from you is suggestions for creative alternatives to the traditional encampment type of event.

Anyone interested in a period music festival?

How about a long hardcore march to commemorate Sherman's Raid on Meridian or Grant's march down the west side of the Mississippi?

USCT related events?

Anyone want to do a naval event related to the Cairo?

How about a civilian impressions workshop for folks who cannot attend the big eastern events?

A sewing seminar?

How to get Pat Landrum to share his cigars?

What about a huge civilian event?

V/R
    [FONT="Times New Roman"]David Slay, Ph.D[/FONT]
    [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Ranger, Vicksburg National Military Park[/FONT][/COLOR]

Re: 150th Ideas for Vicksburg NMP

David,

Sent PM.

Will MacDonald

Comment

Fear not Slay, I'm not going to abandon you guys for the 150th. I haven't been in as much communication as I should be with you and Tim in reference to this, but I liked the idea we talked about back in February. Give me a shout and we'll get the ball rolling on what would include a civilian, CS and US Living History weekend that could easily include all of that. Well maybe not the part about me sharing cigars.
      Patrick Landrum
      Independent Rifles

Comment

If a voice from the peanut gallery counts for anything, I'd much rather support an event at Vicksburg than one in Pennsylvania. I particularly like the idea of recreating a portion of the Meridian campaign.
        Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
        My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

How about a march down to Port Gibson, a little tussle with the Feds marching in from the river with slabs of bacon on their bayonets, and then the rebs can march back to Vicksburg. Landrum has never offered me a cigar!
          Tom Yearby
          Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Depending on what Landrum has planned, we might even be able to get some US Naval impressions there at the same time as the US and CS infantry and civilians.
            [B]Justin Morris[/B]
            [B]Independent Rifles[/B]
            "And All of Hell Followed"

Shiloh, IR Confederate Campaigner Adjunct Battalion, Cleburne's Division, March 30 to April 1, 2012

Comment

If a voice from the peanut gallery counts for anything, I'd much rather support an event at Vicksburg than one in Pennsylvania.
              I agree with that.
              Andrew Grim
              The Monte Mounted Rifles, Monte Bh'oys

Burbank #406 F&AM
              x-PBC, Co-Chairman of the Most Important Committee
              Peter Lebeck #1866, The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
              Billy Holcomb #1069, Order of Vituscan Missionaries

Comment

I'm on my lunch break, so this is going to be brief. But my intention and what I discussed with the Superintendent and some of the rangers in February was to have all sides of the Vicksburg Story told. I started doing programs there during 2006, and have had to really think hard what would top "Life on the Line" without going over the heat factor. This is going to be one of those strange times in this hobby when people are just going to have to do hard things. While I intend to host a 150th Program at the park, I also intend to make the 150th Gettysburg Reenactment along with several members of the Independent Rifles.

About a year ago, Holler and I talked about putting something on, and what you can expect is a Living History that will cover both Confederate and Federal troops, as well as civilians. We will have a Naval Program. There will be a need for an artillery program. The proposal I will present to the NPS shortly will cover about half a dozen stops on a driving tour or the public. While it may not mesh well with some, I am going to push for an early May date, so those intending on going to Gettysburg can make it.
                Patrick Landrum
                Independent Rifles

Comment

Patrick,
                  I'm a member of the U S Naval Landing Party and the Navy/Marine Living History Association. What exactly does your naval program encompass and what will be your requirements. I'm sure other members of the USNLP will be interested. www.usnlp.org

Geo. Dailey
                  USNLP western waters
                  Battery D 1st Michigan light artillery

Comment

"How about a march down to Port Gibson, a little tussle with the Feds marching in from the river with slabs of bacon on their bayonets, and then the rebs can march back to Vicksburg. Landrum has never offered me a cigar!"

As long as you and Robby Mitchell meet us at the old house again as we batten down the porches for the monsoon storm.
                    Herb Coats
                    Armory Guards &
                    WIG

Comment

Hello Pat,
                      Email me and we'll arrange a meeting. We are eager to do more programs with you.
                      [FONT="Times New Roman"]David Slay, Ph.D[/FONT]
                      [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Ranger, Vicksburg National Military Park[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                      X