Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am confused--civil war reenactors where???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am confused--civil war reenactors where???

Hello, I just would like to vent a little. I held a Confederate Uniform class at the Kenosha Civil War Museum yesterday. I was prepared, and had a ton of great advice (using contemporary research material) for looking your best on the field. Of the 13 students who did show, NONE OF THEM did any living history. The people who came were Civil War affectionadoes who wanted to increase their understanding of Confederate material culture.

I just get the feeling sometimes that a certain group of "reenactors" simply wish to do their own thing and dont necessarily want to hear what others have to say, especially when it might contradict what they are expousing.

I thought maybe, A BIG MAYBE, that with the 150th, and 50 plus years of Civil War research that a renewed interest in what is the latest would show its head.

Tom Arliskas
    CSuniforms
    Tom Arliskas

Re: I am confused--civil war reenactors where???

Tom,

That's what you get when you hold a Confederate Uniform class in Wisconsin. :) Now if you had held it in say Memphis or Nashville, I'd expect a much bigger turn out from those who would be very interested in your work. Plus, some people might have been down at the Twin Rivers event over the weekend.

Will MacDonald

Comment

Tom,

Could it have been an advertising issue? What did you do to advertise the class to re-enactors?
      Dan Wambaugh
      Wambaugh, White, & Company
      www.wwandcompany.com
      517-303-3609
      Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

I am more impressed that 13 non-LH people came to expand their understanding of Civil War material culture - I think that's pretty interesting.
        Garrett W. Silliman

[I]Don't Float the Mainstream[/I]
        [SIZE="1"]-Sweetwater Brewing Company, Atlanta, GA[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Wambaugh View Post
          Tom,

Could it have been an advertising issue? What did you do to advertise the class to re-enactors?
          The Museum does advertise its classes. If I ponder, there is a disconnect between the serious Civil War researcher, collector, Museum, Park Historians, and the A-typical reenactor. This argument I know has been going on since 1961! But, it is 50 years later and we still get the same results when it comes to the nitty-gritty. I gues it is what it is-- I was hoping for more with the 150th.

How would you advertise to reenactors for a work shop?

Would you state; "Confederate Uniform workshop for Reenactors"! "The Confederate Soldier at Fort Donelson" --"at Gettysburg" Do you have to make up an invitation just for REENACTORS???

Tom Arliskas
          CSUNIFORMS
          Tom Arliskas

Comment

Originally posted by csuniforms View Post
            hello, i just would like to vent a little. I held a confederate uniform class at the kenosha civil war museum yesterday. I was prepared, and had a ton of great advice (using contemporary research material) for looking your best on the field. Of the 13 students who did show, none of them did any living history. The people who came were civil war affectionadoes who wanted to increase their understanding of confederate material culture.

I just get the feeling sometimes that a certain group of "reenactors" simply wish to do their own thing and dont necessarily want to hear what others have to say, especially when it might contradict what they are expousing.

I thought maybe, a big maybe, that with the 150th, and 50 plus years of civil war research that a renewed interest in what is the latest would show its head.

Tom arliskas
            csuniforms
            hey! Confederate uniform history!!!! Wisconsin is where its happennin'

tom arliskas
            csuniforms
            Tom Arliskas

Comment

Just one man's opinion, but I think everyone engaged in this hobby, and that's what it is, does so for their own reasons and to "do their own thing". I am also curious what could be "newest" in an American history event that is 150 years old. I really cannot add any more to that without delving into "modern politics" and earning a reprimand from the moderators.
              Tom Dodson
              Tom Dodson

Comment

I believe there was a game at Camp Randall. Weed was there. Factor?
                S.Sullivan
                Invalid Corpse

Comment

Hello Todd, Well, ask to your question as to what could be new! There is a treasure trove of knowledge tied up in private collections, State and County Museums, and everyday more shows up. At least once a week someone sends me a photo of a Confederate soldier they want me to comment on, or another researcher in Connecticut sends me something on Austrian Rifles, or Confederate cartridge boxes that just surfaced. We are not done yet by any means on Confederate material culture.

On the statement, "each does his own thing" well---- thats great! I just was non-plussed when not a single reenactor showed up or was even curious as to what I had to say.-- and there are a lot of Confederate reenactors living close to Kenosha.

Tom Arliskas
                  CSuniforms
                  Tom Arliskas

Comment

So you got a small turn-out for a program, it's not the end of the world. A host of factors are usually in play which no one can control (family obligations, financial reasons, weather) that prevented more people from showing up. If this program is offered say next spring I think you'd get more people in general, and more re-enactors in particular.

Welcome to Public History,
                    BB
                    Bill Backus

Comment

Tom,
                      If in post #9, I am the "Todd" you were referring to, I can appreciate that new material comes to light daily about new information regarding Confederate uniforms and such. I may have been too quick as some people seem to want to revise history regarding the War of the Rebellion. I applaud your effort to further the cause of correct Confederate history.
                      Tom Dodson
                      P.S.
                      For whatever reason, you are not the first person to call me Todd. In the first reenacting unit I was in, years ago, the Captain, when I see him, still refers to me as Todd. ?
                      Tom Dodson

Comment

Tom,

I can understand your frustration, but I can start to see where there may have been a problem. I consider myself fairly well "plugged in" as far as the happenings and doings in the authentic re-enacting community in the upper midwest, and I had no idea you were holding a class. If you were counting on the museum to do your advertising for you, then I'm not surprised you were disappointed with the turnout.

If there is a next time, the first place I would go is the ONV forum: http://oldnorthwestvols.org/ Those guys would likely have been there in spades if they'd known about it. Secondly, advertise on Szabo's forum: www.cwreenactors.com (it's free, and anyone can advertise over there.) You might even talk with Paul Calloway about advertising on this forum, he's usually a champion of furthering information and understanding of material culture, and may be willing to bend the vendor rules to help you out.

I'm earnestly hopeful that you'll try this again in the future and let us all know about it.
                        Dan Wambaugh
                        Wambaugh, White, & Company
                        www.wwandcompany.com
                        517-303-3609
                        Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Tom,

Were it not for the fact that I am over 4000 miles away I would have been there.

I think that you have to accept that most re-enactors are not reserchers in the widest sense, many will do research on their own unit but seldom step outside that restriction.

By the way any chance of a copy of your handouts?
                          Alan Thrower
                          Member of The Company of Miltary Historians
                          confederateuniforms.org
                          pinterest.com/conun/the-battle-of-wilson-s-creek/
                          pinterest.com/conun/confederate-uniforms-equipment/
                          pinterest.com/conun/civil-war-zouaves/
                          pinterest.com/conun/jeff-davis-and-the-south/
                          pinterest.com/conun/confederate-generals-flags/
                          pinterest.com/conun/3rd-louisiana-infantry-regiment/

Comment

I wish that I would have been able to attend, as Confederate material culture is one of my weakest points. The event was advertised here on this forum, which put it on my radar. I could make a ton of excuses here, but it just comes down to the fact that I wasn't able to attend.
                            Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
                            My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Tom,
                              Would you be interested in doing your presentation at South Union Shaker Village sometime next year? We would be glad to be your classroom and we are a very central location in the south east.

send me an email if you would like? shakmus@logantele.com

Thanks
                              Kaelin R. Vernon
                              SOUTH UNION GUARD

"Do small things with great love" -Mother Teresa

" Put your hands to work and your hearts to God" -Mother Ann Lee

Comment

Working...
                              X