Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am confused--civil war reenactors where???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I am confused--civil war reenactors where???

OK OK-- I feel better now... I am going to do a series of these talks on Uniforms, including the Union side on the 1st's, that is 1st Iowa-- (I have some great info. here) on Illinois (have been doing this one for 35 years) Indiana, ( have a collection of super "new" material on Indiana, 1st Wisconisn, (The Kenosha Museum has been doing a lot of inside research on this Regiment), Michigan (Found an old soldier up in Michigan that all he does is study Michigan CW uniforms and Minnesota too, have some connections up there also on uniforms--

My students did not care what I was going to present, they want to see it all on Confederate uniforms!!! Will definitely use more Boards next time.

I would be happy to travel South if you want me-- I would really like to see a Confederate Symposium with people like Les Jensen, Ron Field or Alan Thrower, Bill Adams and other unknown Confederate uniform guru's. We could hold it in Nashville or Franklin for the Army of Tennessee and Richmond for the ANV. What say you?!

Tom Arliskas
    CSuniforms
    Tom Arliskas

Comment

When and where will you be presenting your research on the 1st Iowa, as well as the Illinois uniforms?
      Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
      My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

We could do it--- Will have to check with the boss first--- she could do her Victorian jewelry presentation too and I could do one on Secession Cockades, Bonnets and aprons, and on Union cockades, ribbons, and the good old red-white-and blue, and Southerners what they wore in 1860 in protest against the Northern clothing manufacturers!! Off the top of my head.

Tom Arliskas
        CSuniforms
        Tom Arliskas

Comment

Sometime next Spring before Belmont November of 1861 and Fort Donelson Feb. 1862, at the Kenosha Museum. They have to make their Spring schedule some time next month. Will keep you all informed--

Tom Arliskas
          CSuniforms
          Tom Arliskas

Comment

Sorry Todd, I mean Tom!! Confederate uniform history is still being written-- Just recently in going back over my notes I found that during the Seven Days Campaign in 1862, because the Confederates were wearing a lot of Civilian clothes they still were using a field sign of white cloth on their arms or hats! I thought that was done with in 61'!!

I appreciate your comments Tom

Tom Arliskas
            CSuniforms
            Tom Arliskas

Comment

The ONV was at their annual meeting at the Lincoln House in Springfield. Others, like me, were at or watching football. Wisconsin being a top 10 team probably took other interested Wisconsin folks' attention away. I'd attend next time.
              Mark Krausz
              William L. Campbell
              Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
              Old Northwest Volunteers
              Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Hey, thank you!! Wisconsin football is first-- didn't the football schedule when i signed up for the program! Springfield-- couldn't go was in kenosha! See you for illinois uniforms!
                Tom arliskas
                csuniforms
                Tom Arliskas

Comment

If you did one in Richmond I would definitely go and in Nashville a strong possibility.
                  I would love to see some new research on ANV & AOT uniforms!
                  [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
                  Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
                  [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
                  Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                  Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
                  The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Please appeal to 'the boss' for the trip south. If you bring your uniform talk to the gentlemen, we ladies would love to have a way to participate. We'd also like to meet her!

Trish Hasenmueller

Comment

Tom,

Could not attend your lecture nor the ONV meeting due to work - real life getting in the way again!
                      I would like to attend future talks, if you would be so kind as to post here and on the ONV site as
                      far in advance as is possible. We living historians will be there.
                      Go Badgers!
                      Your most obedient servant and comrade,
                      James C. Schumann
                      Mess #3
                      Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Originally posted by BenjaminLDavis View Post
                        Tom,

Could not attend your lecture nor the ONV meeting due to work - real life getting in the way again!
                        I would like to attend future talks, if you would be so kind as to post here and on the ONV site as
                        far in advance as is possible. We living historians will be there.
                        Go Badgers!
                        You are all too kind--- I guess I am going to have to travel in the coming years---

Tom Arliskas
                        CSuniforms
                        Tom Arliskas

Comment

Case in point, I offered you a site with plenty of room, a place to dine and stay free for your use and you totally went straight to Nashville and then to Richmond! Wow, I know now how you feel Tom, advertised & overlooked:)

Thanks
                          Kaelin R. Vernon
                          SOUTH UNION GUARD

"Do small things with great love" -Mother Teresa

" Put your hands to work and your hearts to God" -Mother Ann Lee

Comment

Originally posted by kaelin View Post
                            Case in point, I offered you a site with plenty of room, a place to dine and stay free for your use and you totally went straight to Nashville and then to Richmond! Wow, I know now how you feel Tom, advertised & overlooked:)

Thanks
                            Hey, Kentucky is closer--will get in touch--- what the heck I dont think I will be around for the 200th anniversary. Tom

Tom Arliskas
                            CSuniforms
                            Tom Arliskas

Comment

Tom,

I agree with my pards from the Old Northwest . Interested in the class and research . Timing was bad. Looking forward to future classes.
                              Rod Miller
                              [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
                              [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
                              [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
                              A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
                              1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
                              1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
                              1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
                              1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
                              Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
                              1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
                              Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

Tom....heres some ideas to try. Figure out what is the max attendance you would expect or would like to see for a given talk. Lets pick a figure at 25. Advertise the talk and say limited attendance. Add a little frosting by asking folks to pre-register with a small gift for the first 10-12 who sign up and show up. Folks like inducments and will respond. If you want, publicize your pre-registered names, so that folks in our community can see who says they are coming. That also motivates folks who see names they recognize and want to share their company for the experience. It works.

Kent Dorr - Ohio
                                "Devils Own Mess"

Comment

Working...
                                X