Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the heck are people thinking

Ok... explain this on to me:

This is not even advertised as original. It is advertised as reproduction for reenactors... yet look at the number of bids and price. WTF!!!
    Brad Ireland
    Old Line Mess
    4th VA CO. A
    SWB

Re: What the heck are people thinking

WTF indeed.
    Andy Mouradian
    JayBirds Mess

"Snap it up, shake the lead."

[IMG]http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m400/westernreb/JaybirdMess-2.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Hallo!

"This is a Great, Vintage Confederate Army Civil War reenactors military uniform kepi hat/cap. This wonderful Old piece has a Great, Early design, with Brass "CSA" buttons, is made of a Gray wool-like material, with Leather brim/visor, appears to have some age and would be a wonderful addition to any collection. This is a marked Size XL, and the head opening measures approx. 7.5" x 8". This appears to be in Fair, Solid condition, with some Great Field wear & soiling, and "

It is masterfully phrased/written. It has all of the buzz-words laid out to trap the uneducated and uniformed such as "Vintage," "Confederate Army Civil War," "Great Early Design," "appears to have some age and would be a wonderful addition to any collection," "Great Field wear and soiling." Which obscures the "reenactors."

I also believe that some sellers have shills that bid for them to run up a price-so that the higher price makes it look like it is a better deal because it HAS higher bids.

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

But it displays so well......................... WTF.
        Scott House

Comment

Looks like 3 idiots got into a bidding war with each other. What goobers!
          Michael Comer
          one of the moderator guys

Comment

Funny that you guys saw that too. Interesting thing to point out is about a month ago that same seller was selling one of those 1980's farb confederate jackets as an "original confederate army coat!" I'm the type that I can't just sit back and let stuff like that slide and I sent that seller a long and rather nasty email telling him how unfortunate it was that he decided to take at advantage of "uneducated" buyers. He responded with "isn't it all possible that this jacket could be a early war commutation jacket?" I responded again with a very detailed message listing the about 50 reasons there was no way in hell the jacket he was selling was an original anything and he needed to list it as a reenactor jacket. He never responded and that garbage jacket went for over $600.00! It's nice to see he atleast started calling the stuff "reenactor" instead of original. I swear man, it amazes me the crap people will buy!
            [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="5"]Eric Davis
            Handsome Company Mess
            Liberty Hall Drum Corps [/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

About this time last year I put a pair of sky blue pants on ebay that were sutler row quality and had a blown out knee that I had patched back together. I made it perfectly clear that they were reproduction pants. Some lady from Hollywood, Ca that gathers up costumes for movies won them. I ended up making about 20 dollars more on them than what I paid 5 or 6 years before. She was extremely happy with them. One mans junk is another's treasure I reckon.
              Captain Andy Witt
              52nd Geo Vol Inf Co I CSA
              Blue Ridge Mess

http://www.52ndgeorgia.webs.com

Comment

"There's a sucker born every minute." David Hannum
                (a quote attributed in error to P. T. Barnum)
                [B][I]Edwin Carl Erwin[/I][/B]

descendent of:
                [B]Tobias Levin Hays[/B]
                16th Texas Infantry, Co. I, Walker's Texas Division
                22nd Brigade, "Mesquite Company", Texas Rangers
                &
                [B]J. W. Tally[/B]
                4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade[B][/B]

Comment

When I looked at the listing and the price it went for relative to the time of year the first thing I thought was "Some uneducated collectors spouse buying it as a Christmas gift and making a terrible error."

That would make for an uncomfortable sit down around the tree....
                  Andrew "Abner" Martin
                  AKM Dry Goods

Comment

But it is made of a "wool-like" material, so I'm sure it's worth it.
                    Carlton Mansfield
                    26th North Carolina Troops

Comment

Yes, the kepi was a fake, but that "cast iron D-guard Bowie" with the CSA markings...gotta be the real deal!
                      What is the story with this KEMA collection the seller says the items are from? Anyone here ever visit the collection? I see that the KEMA collection was at auction last month in NJ.
                      Rae G. Whitley
                      [I]Museum of the Horse Soldier[/I]

Tucson, AZ

Comment

Proverbs 17:16 Why should a fool have money in his hand to buy wisdom
                        when he has no sense?

Probably where the saying, "A fool and his money are soon parted" came from.
                        D.W.(Trace)Scalf
                        19th Alabama Infantry(Australia)
                        [url]http://www.19thal.50webs.com/[/url]

“Power corrupts. Knowledge is power. Study hard. Be evil.”

"Only the dead have seen the end of War".
                        George Santayana

Comment

Working...
                        X