This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cravat/necktie assembly

Anyone had any luck trying to make a cravat or necktie from a modern long tie? Just wondering if there's enough material in a modern tie to make a period correct tie of some sort.... BTW, I prefer to tie my own ties.
    Also, I noticed a couple of photos recently of General Lee wearing what appeared to be something similar to a modern tie that were dated in the 1868-70 era. Anyone have any provenance as to when the style became popular for the middle class?

Don Harrelson

Re: Cravat/necktie assembly

While not exactly what you are looking for, here is a photo of a Federal soldier wearing a tie very similar to a modern one.
    Attached Files
    Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I probably didn't make myself quite clear... trying to see if making cravats or bow ties is viable.

D Harrelson

Comment

Don,

To answer your question, yes, they are viable.
        Instead of starting off with a pre made variety that snaps, buckles or buttons in the back of the neck under the collier, try starting off with a square section of cloth, perhaps 18 inch's square. See how you can learn how to fold and/or roll this swatch of cloth into something that looks like what you see in various photographs?
        I have found one can roll an 18 inch square of cloth on the diagonal and using a modern style tie knot make a very respectable period tie.
        Voluminous bow ties may also be achieved using a more convectional "Navy" type square knot, just don't pull the long ends all the way through the knot.
        I like to use a fine thin fabric like silk. It can be rolled up nice and tight or be left somewhat loose, depending on the size of the tie (knot) you wish to create.
        It just takes practice in front of the mirror to get it right.
        If your an "Up Town" type guy... buy a pre made cravat and don't worry about the small stuff. Just a thought on my part.

Comment

Sir, this may not help with your question but another thread on this forum has addressed the use of the cravat.
          There is a good bit of information which may be found here..., hope you find the info useful.
          Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
          Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
          Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
          www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Thanks for your comments on tying bow ties and other neckwear, but I've been doing that longer than most of you have been alive, so I don't need any advice on that issue. I would be glad to dispense advise on the same.
            My question is this (stated for the third time)... is is possible to disassemble a modern necktie, remove the lining, and use the subsequent silk to make a period-correcr cravat, or bow-tie? The period cravats available from the various vendors are somewhat limited in fabric choices. Has any one done this with success?
            Please read the question carefully and stay focused on that ONE question....

Don Harrelson

Comment

It is possible. That does not speak as to probable. Whether it's worth your while to do so is quite another matter, answerable only by you.

Whether you will need to cut and piece the modern tie to get proper dimensions for the period one is dependant upon the size and dimensions of the modern tie you choose as your starting point.

A fellow once asked if he could take a modern wool jacket and make it into a period correct one. The advice given then was to first remove the fabric from the modern one. In his case, it was good advice. Whether that holds true in this case is one you will no doubt discover in the attempt. Whether you end up with a period shaped tie of modern material or a period tie remains to be seen.

And, no, I have not attempted this with either success or failure.

Your Most Humble and Focused Servant,
              Bernard Biederman
              30th OVI
              Co. B
              Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
              Outpost III

Comment

Don,
                Having made a ton of cravats in the past, from the large "power ties" down to the smaller bowtie pretied style, I would think it's entirely possible to use the material from a tie in order to make one of the smaller pretied styles of cravats, using a polished cotton or silk colored back instead of the same material. Hope that makes sense.
                Patrick Landrum
                Independent Rifles

Comment

No way in hell can YOU do that. Thats impossible. I know that is a fact and I have documentation to back it up.

This is my tae, getch yer own tae...
                  Sam Harrelson
                  Liberty Rifles
                  Independent Volunteers
                  Museum of the Confederacy

Comment

The useful life of this thread has come and gone.
                    Silas Tackitt,
                    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Cravat/Neck Tie Assembly (redux)

The operation was a success!!

D. Harrelson

Comment

Working...
                      X