The Firing on the Star of the West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Firing on the Star of the West

I had not seen this posted here and thought this community might be interested in seeing this in lieu of the events centered on Charleston harbor in the very near future.

Citadel Cadets Recreate Firing
    Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
    My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Re: The Firing on the Star of the West

Bob,

Thank you for posting it. It was interesting.

Dan Stewart

Comment

Here's a link to an article in today's (Sunday) Charleston Post and Courier : http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2...9/first-shots/ Both photos and video are linked from this page.

Said paper has been featuring CW related articles for a while. Here's a link to the subpage which features the CW articles : http://www.postandcourier.com/storie...ing-civil-war/
      Silas Tackitt,
      one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

It was neat being in Ft. Sumter this weekend on guard duty and hearing shots echo across the water and looking over and seeing the Citidel flag flying over James Island and hearing the officers call their men to man the guns. It was neat experience during the confussion.
        -Brandon Hand
        48th NY Co. F
        Unit Clerk/Newsletter Editor

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
          It was neat being in Ft. Sumter this weekend on guard duty and hearing shots echo across the water and looking over and seeing the Citidel flag flying over James Island and hearing the officers call their men to man the guns. It was neat experience during the confussion.
          While at Ft Sumter.... The long roll from the drum came within seconds after the cannon shots rang out at James Island. What an amazing moment! This weekend is one of the most memorable events ever. What a way to start the 150ths!!!
          Last edited by PetePaolillo; 01-10-2011, 01:30 PM. Reason: spelling
          [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
          ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

I was part of the SC Militia at Ft. Moultrie. I was on guard post at the entrance when the firing started. It was impressive.
            I enjoyed my time doing a bit of history. Sorry I had to leave Saturday night, but at least I beat the snow and ice in Memphis. Thanks to those who organised this and thanks to the SC Militia.
            Robert Orrand
            N. B. Forrest Camp 215, SCV
            Civilian Adjunct - Mayor of Dover, Purdy, Raymond, Layette, and more to come... and oh yeah Gettysburg
            4thTN CSA - Co A - Shelby Greys

Comment

Working...
            X