Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate Military Records of Servicemen

Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone knew where I could research to find out the military records of Confederate soldiers. Specifally prisoners of war. Thanks.
    Jason David

Peter Pelican
    36th Illinois Co. "B"
    Prodigal Sons Mess
    Old Northwest Vols.

Re: Confederate Military Records of Servicemen

Jason,

As to CSA service, I would suggest trying the State of record for that individual. Most of the seceding States were required to maintain there own records. Check the Pension Records for that State as well
    POW's "may" have some records in the US Archives. It would really help if you knew the camp (s) he may have been in.
    I hope you find this helpful,

Comment

Jason-

I've had a lot of luck recently with Footnote. I would recommend it at least as a starting point. For the individual soldier, I've found muster slips with enlistment date and place, as well as status at time of pay muster. If the soldier was captured, then there is usually some form of the paper trail that followed them through the prison system. Sometimes you luck out and find requisition forms as well.
      Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
      My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I found my first person from Crampton's Gap. Survived the war and had 4 children after moving to New Orleans.
        Jason David

Peter Pelican
        36th Illinois Co. "B"
        Prodigal Sons Mess
        Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

Working...
        X