Fun with drill - redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fun with drill - redux

My initial thought when I read the problem was to get the flank company to the center and then deploy them into line. So, I would march them forward a bit, march by the right flank until centered on the batallion, front and then deploy as skirmishers by the right and left flank on the center files. My two cents anyway.
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Comment

"Mr. Ireland – post two

Your deployed line is at about 155 yards and you’ve shifted the off center thing from the right to the left."

Your right. I forgot to add the command : Company, in two ranks, left face prior to as skirmishers on the right file take interverals, March. That would have had them deploy on the left of the company front rather than an oblique to the company front. With this added command, the 75 yards distance would be correct.
      Brad Ireland
      Old Line Mess
      4th VA CO. A
      SWB

Comment

I think replies have pretty much died out, so, to review, this exercise had more than one correct answer and is one of those situations where it’s probably much easier to execute in the field than on paper (since you get instant visual feedback in person). To touch on a couple of items - as the gallant young Silas pointed out - there are basic differences between deploying forward and by the flank.

FORWARD “will be adopted when the company is behind the line on which it is to be established as skirmishers”. Form a skirmish line along that tree row at the far edge of the field.

BY THE FLANK “when it finds itself already on that line”. Form a skirmish line along this tree row we’re occupying. The rest of the battalion will pull back behind the ridge.

It seemed a couple of folks meant to deploy by the flank but didn’t quite remember the command so I’ll give examples. All are encouraged to review the manual texts for the possible variations.

FORWARD:
        As skirmishers.
        On the left file---take intervals.
        March.

BY THE FLANK:
        As skirmishers.
        By the right flank---take intervals.
        March.
        Last edited by john duffer; 02-09-2011, 05:18 PM.
        John Duffer
        Independence Mess
        MOOCOWS
        WIG
        "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Mr. Duffer I hate to revive a thread which you so intelligently put to rest but I feel I do have 2 cents which might lend some "practical" credence. It must be noted that terrain, friendly situation and enemy situation will all factor into a company commanders decision making process. With those caveats to my response; I as a company commander would be very hesitant to expose the flank of my company and offer the enemy enfilade firing opportunity. I also believe that whether or not enemy contact is likely I would as a rule stick to the deployment forward method as a good practice amongst my company. It would allow me the quickest opportunity to lay down a base of fire forward and hasten my skirmish line.

***I apologize if I mixed in some "modern" military doctrine and terminology but the idea is the same....if possible offer your company the best option to survive and defeat the enemy***

Just something to think about and I applaud your scenario. Keep them coming they are great mental exercises which we use in the modern Army often.

Comment

Mr. Moran
            " I also believe that whether or not enemy contact is likely I would as a rule stick to the deployment forward method as a good practice amongst my company. It would allow me the quickest opportunity to lay down a base of fire forward and hasten my skirmish line. "

Certainly a valid opinion but bear in mind if you're already on the line where you need to deploy the flank is your only real option, plus, each group of fours deploy as soon as as they have room by the flank whereas when deploying forward all wait till on line unless they actually come under fire.
            John Duffer
            Independence Mess
            MOOCOWS
            WIG
            "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Sir:

Excellent point on the flank deployment if already on line. Thanks again...skirmish drill is fascinating and when done well is beautiful to watch.

Ken

Comment

Working...
              X