Favorite Enlistedman's Memoir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite Enlistedman's Memoir

I thoroughly enjoyed "Testament: A Soldier's Story of the Civil War" edited by Benson Bobrick from the letters of Benjamin "Webb" Baker. The passages related the forced marches to Pea Ridge by Federals in Baker's regiment is alone worth the price of the book.

Also as simple as the writing comes across, I did like "Footprints of a Regiment, A Recollection of the 1st Georgia Regulars 1861 - 1865" by William H. Andrews. His passages regarding pickett duty around Charleston were of particular interest to me.

I guess my trend here are commands that served in different theaters during the war.
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Comment

"The Lyon Campaign: A History of the 1st Iowa Infantry" by Eugene F. Ware. Absolutely delightful memoirs of a young Union volunteer during the first year of war in Missouri.
      Bob Williams
      26th North Carolina Troops
      Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

One of my favorites is 35 Days to Gettysburg by Mark Nesbitt. He takes diary entries from Thomas Ware Co G 15th GA and Franklin Horner Co H 12th PA and traces their routes to those three days in July. One survives, the other does not.

Dave Bushmole

Comment

Southern Boy in Blue by Marcus Woodcock (9th KY)
          Company Aytch by Sam Watkins (1st TN)
          Detailed Minutiae by Carlton McCarthy (late war ANV)
          Craig L Barry
          Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
          Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
          Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
          Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

For Marine
            A Civil War Marine at Sea
            The Southern Journey of a Civil War Marine

For Navy
            The Monitor Chronicles
            A Year on a Monitor and the Destruction of Fort Sumter
            Mike Stein
            Remuddeled Kitchen Mess

Comment

"The Civil War Diary of Wyman S. White" is hands down my favorite. It's less of a diary than it is a memoir written with the help of his diary. White was a very confident, self-righteous, and straight-laced individual almost to the point of being completely humorless and unlikeable. These attributes go a long way in making his stories very entertaining simply because of the dry, matter-of-fact way he saw the world. Wyman White was not above choking a senior NCO over a haversack full of corn meal.
              Brian White
              [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
              [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
              [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Not really a memoir, but Hard Marching Every Day: The Civil War Letters of Private Wibur Fisk. This is a collection of letters that private Fisk, of the 2nd Vermont, wrote to his hometown paper. It contains some excellent descriptions of picket duty, marching, camp life, etc. All of the good things we love to read about.

Thanks,
                Bob Bowser
                Bob Bowser

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies guys. I just received Carlton McCarthy's book in the mail today and hope to pick up John Casler's really soon.

Adam Dickerson
                  Adam Dickerson

Comment

Working...
                  X