Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pictures of original india rubber haversacks

Dear comrades,
    I am trying to find some information about india rubber haversacks. I have Mike Woshners book where one is pictured and have two more pics from an auction. As I have no close access to museums that might have one ( living in Germany) I was wondering if anybody of you by chance has one or more pictures of original rubber haversacks on file.
    I couldn't find any here nor on the internet so far.
    I am especially interested in dimensions and details.
    Thank you in advance!
    Jan H.Berger
    Hornist

German Mess
    http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Re: pictures of original india rubber haversacks

Hey Jan,

Not sure if you have seen these. If you sign in there are additional high res. photos. Both descriptions have measurements and detailed information. Let me know if you are planning on selling these!

Wade Rogers

Comment

Wade, I have tried to register but it failed somehow. I do have pics of the first one but not the other. Can you send me the pics and info please?
      Jan H.Berger
      Hornist

German Mess

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Jan,

Here you go. If you download these on your computer they might blow up bigger. The second one looks like it is rubberized cotton drilling. Very neat haversacks! The descriptions are below

1st. "Rubberized Haversack with Gutta-Percha Button. Most likely a private purchase item, this utilitarian haversack is made of vulcanized lightweight canvas. The body measures about 12" x 12" and the piece retains nearly all its rubberized coating, with some loss from flexing at the bend of the flap. The flap is fastened by a small hard rubber button and the interior was constructed without a removable lining. Condition is sound but stiff. A rare example of a useful piece of equipment."

2nd. "Rubberized Canvas Haversack Used by Massachusetts Officer. This simple bag haversack is constructed of lightweight canvas that has been coated with vulcanized rubber. Overall, the body measures about 10" wide x 12" deep and the flap is closed by a simple bone button. The interior is uncoated canvas and appears to have been made without a detachable lining. Inside the flap is nicely stenciled "CAPT. S.R. THOMAS/Co. C. 4th Mass. Vols." Most of the haversack is pliable and the condition is basically sound with some very minor tears to the material and about 15% loss of the rubberized coating which reveals the canvas underneath. Seneca R. Thomas enlisted in September, 1862 as Captain of Co. C and mustered out the following August. The nine-month unit fought with the XIX Corps in Louisiana including Ft. Bisland and the siege of Port Hudson."

Hope this helps!
        Attached Files
        Wade Rogers

Comment

Thank you Wade! Great pictures for everybody by the way. Especially the picture of the opened sack shows the details much better.
          It seems that only the vertical side seams are sewn, all the rest vulcanized on!
          Jan H.Berger
          Hornist

German Mess

www.lederarsenal.com

Comment

Now I know what to make from my old rubberized apron.... Interesting how the flap is edged, and the little reinforcements at the bottom of the side seams...
            David Stone

Comment

Anyone see evidence of a gusset on these? I think I do, but it is tough to tell for sure.
              John Wickett
              Former Carpetbagger
              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Jan,

The real question on this thread is why stop at gum blankets and haversacks? :) These are awesome!
                Attached Files
                Wade Rogers

Comment

;-)) Step by step Wade!
                  The haversacks do not have a gusset. The are cut from one piece. The reinforcements at flap and opening are attached like the edge binding of the gum blankets.
                  The sides seem to be sewn together while at the bottom end a part of the seam allowance is folded upwards and vulcanized on. Hard to explain in english. The seam allowance is clipped at the bottom some 2 wide and this is folded upwards to form some kind of straight bottom.
                  It is interetsing that is seemas that probably except for the side seams there is no stitching on the haversacks, all is bound and heat sealed while the copper rivets hold the straps.
                  David , post a picture when you have finished your haversack;-))
                  Jan H.Berger
                  Hornist

German Mess

www.lederarsenal.com

Comment

Jan - if my apron is long enough to furnish a strap, it'll have to wait till my Confederate shelter tent is done, and my box knapsacks are underway....well...maybe not - it doesn't seem like it would take too long...
                    David Stone

Comment

Does anyone have any information on an Officers style? I see there were at least one bought and used by an Officer. I was just wondering if the process was used on more than one style.
                      Chris Fisher
                      Hospital Steward
                      Tinct Opii Mess

Comment

Working...
                      X