A well illustrated Confederate (?) knapsack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A well illustrated Confederate (?) knapsack

One of the better known Tennessee relic dealers, Brian Akins, has listed on his site, Rebel Relics, this evening what appears to be a Confederate knapsack. The photos would allow a handy individual to recreate this piece. No measurements are given, but a human hand illustrated could suggest a scale, or e-mail Mr. Akins for the numbers. Put REBEL RELICS in your search engine, and it is the first item under NEW ITEMS. Or, you might want to purchase it. In any event, seldom seem, and worth seeing.
    Steve Sullivan

Re: A well illustrated Confederate (?) knapsack

It appears to be a French military pack - although I could be mistaken.
    Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Very interesting! I will have to disagree with a portion of the "letter of provenance," however, as it says ". . . because they are Confederate made." This is the style of knapsack that was imported from France during the War, and please correct me if I'm wrong in saying this, but I've never read anything about any Confederate arsenal copying and manufacturing the French-styled knapsack at any point.
      Caleb Miller

"A man who is clean has a better opinion of himself than one who is not and invariably makes a better soldier. This then is an important matter." - Inspector's comment on MacRae's Brigade, 1864

Comment

I was hoping for opinions, and value those given, thank you both.
        S.Sullivan

Comment

Yeah, that looks like a French patterned knapsack. The Atlanta History Center has several of these French-style knapsacks in their collection (some of which they have in their Civil War exhibit), none of which have a Confederate history. Interestingly though, they do have a French-style pack identified to a member of the USCT.
          Respectfully,
          -Kyle M. Stetz
          Liberty Rifles

"I think the prospect for an active and laborious campaign in Virginia is pretty clear and we will again this spring renew our old occupation and struggle between life and death for six more weary months." Capt. Samuel S. Brooke 47th Va. Infantry-- March 27, 1864

Comment

Definitely a French knapsack. The stitching is lower quality than I expected to see. Attached is a cropped image of one of the Hagerstown Pike/Antietam casualty portraits from the Library of Congress. It clearly shows a French knapsack on the back of a deceased Confederate soldier. It's also interesting to note that this man is not wearing a coat, has a knit shirt under a plaid cotton shirt, and appears to be wearing cassimere trousers. Another Confederate soldier laying next to him is wearing a Federal fatigue blouse!

Link to the LoC page for this photograph: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collecti...0/PP/resource/
            Attached Files
            Brian White
            [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
            [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
            [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Gentlemen, The French knapsack, There is a good bit of information on these in previous Forum threads and the occasional original Hide-on pack surfaces in various places but the painted canvas varient seems to show up more often than it. And it seems a good many construction details were left out on them. If no references of them actually being manufactured by the Confederacy have yet to be found, would it be possible that some of the 10,000 packs included in the original order of French uniforms and equiptment by the Federal Government might have been altered to actually fill the order? But would they have slipped by the Government inspectors of Imported Goods? This of course is speculation on my part but if there is any more documentation on the subject that the members of the A.C. Forum can share I for one would appreciate learning of it. The unanswered questions and informed guesses on this subject have held my attention for many years. Thank you all Respectfully Paul Lopes---new forum member....if you couldn't tell

Comment

Working...
              X