Authentic reenactorisms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authentic reenactorisms

Being in a misceivious mood right now I thought I'd jot down a little message about some of the things I here some of my a/c breatheren say at times that I get a good little chuckle from. Feel free to add more if I miss any.

It ain't the right shade of blue (Usually in reference to Federal uniforms or Columbus Depot trim)

All Enfields were bright (or blued)

All soldiers were skinny

Everything brown was once gray.

I'll add more later as I think of them :tounge_sm

Re: Authentic reenactorisms

My faves are the "Never did never hads"

Never wore hat brass.

Never used two banders.

Never wore leggings.

Never carried knapsacks.

Never tucked their pants into their socks.

Feds would have never have worn a non black hat.

Then there are the always.

They always wore there traps high.

They always slept in bivowak.

They always let their brass get tarnished

They always looked ragged and dirty

They always wore toned down earth tone civilian stuff.

Granted these things are not false, these things are way over done in streamerland, and done wrong. But all things in moderation and historicaly accurate as possible. :baring_te
    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Always un-cuffed/un-rolled their trouser bottoms before parade or inspection...

& another:

EVERYONE uses the modern sword salute, ya know holding the point off to the side. Really, per the manual the point should end up at the toe, straight down...
      Last edited by RyanBWeddle; 02-23-2004, 11:49 AM.
      Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
      – George Washington , 1789

Comment

Originally posted by RyanBWeddle
        EVERYONE uses the modern sword salute, ya know holding the point off to the side. Really, per the manual the point should end up at the toe, straight down...
        Actually, the modern manual of arms for the Sword, has the point of the sword approx. an inch or so from the ground, and in a straight line as an extension of the arm once it is lowered to your side, thus placing the tip of the sword just to the outside of the little toe of the right foot.
        Brian Hicks
        Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Hicks
          Actually, the modern manual of arms for the Sword, has the point of the sword approx. an inch or so from the ground, and in a straight line as an extension of the arm once it is lowered to your side, thus placing the tip of the sword just to the outside of the little toe of the right foot.
          Sorry, by modern I meant 'reenactor modern' not 'modern military'. :confused_ :confused_

Thanks for that, it proves the point even more!!!
          Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
          – George Washington , 1789

Comment

Here's another

They would never have been seen in public without a coat or vest on.

Comment

Clark,

“They would never have been seen in public without a coat or vest on.”

That one has to be the all time classic; I have heard it since I got started in this 28 years ago. Despite all the photographs to the contrary it still persists.
              Jim Kindred

Comment

Originally posted by JimKindred
                Clark,

“They would never have been seen in public without a coat or vest on.”

That one has to be the all time classic; I have heard it since I got started in this 28 years ago. Despite all the photographs to the contrary it still persists.

Agreed, If it was such a fauxpas, why were they taking their picture. :sarcastic
                Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

They would never have been seen in public without a coat or vest on.”

Originally posted by hireddutchcutthroat
                  Agreed, If it was such a fauxpas, why were they taking their picture. :sarcastic
                  Add to the above, "with the coat on, you must have the top button buttoned"! Unless of course, you're wearing a vest, then it's OK to have the coat open.
                  [FONT=Century Gothic]Robert Swartz[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black]"A soldier would grumble in heaven"![/FONT]
                  [FONT=Century Gothic]Ovando J. Hollister, 1st Colorado Volunteers[/FONT]

Comment

It seems that just as we think we have somthing nailed down pat, along comes the proverbial execption to the rule. In an earlier hobby I was in (Model Railroading) there are groups who absolutly insist that everything be "protoypical" (trans: period correct) We found out however that "There's a Prototype for Everything". Be very careful, do the research, and use a little logic & common sense. :wink_smil
                    Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
                    Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
                    Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
                    Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
                    Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

Tom,

I found that in modeling myself. I have had “experts” criticize models of aircraft I actually flew, built using photos of them. Criticized because they didn’t match a preconceived idea they had about something they had never seen in the flesh only from photos.

Moderators please bear with me; this will lead to a point regarding Civil War history.

To me a large reenactorism is the idea that just because a new item was available it automatically replaced every similar item that came before it. Another is that if the uniform regulations changed that changed was implemented immediately through out the Army.

I like to use my current and past Army aviation units as an example of something that will make future military historians spin out when it comes to the exception of the rule.

We have two models of the same helicopter; the only difference is the instrument panel. From an outside photo future historians will not have a clue which is which unless they are able to track the seria number on the tail.

A group of pilots will have on average three different type flight suits. These flight suits will be current production in camo, Air Force contract with side zippers, some with shoulder straps, and Army contract from the early 90's. Some will have full insignia sewn on, some will have Warrant Officer branch insignia, some now with a recent Reg change will have Aviation or Cavalry branch insignia. At one point we had three different model flight helmets in use at the same time along with two different type survival vests.

Boots will really make them flip out; all black and leather but from many different makers and in several styles. Some with zippers, some with laces and some strapped tanker boots.

All within the regulations of AR95-1 and AR670-1.

What I am getting at is that this is an example of a modern Army unit with all the benefits of modern production, supply and transportation. Yet there are many differences contrary to what the current issue equipment should be based on contract dates and Army announcements. Things we use today to try and date the Civil War Army. Many reenactors have never been in the military and do not fully understand how the supply system works or doesn’t work which causes confusion when interpreting surviving records and contract dates. Just because an item was let on a contract doesn’t mean it was available on that date or anywhere near that date to the troops in the field. If it was in the supply system it didn’t automatically replace all previous similar equipment, the older items were used until they needed to be replaced. Same now, same then, exceptions are everywhere we just have to keep them in perspective.

I do hope I haven't wandered too far off subject here, it has been an early morning for me so far. :wink_smil
                      Jim Kindred

Comment

Robert,

"Add to the above, "with the coat on, you must have the top button buttoned"! Unless of course, you're wearing a vest, then it's OK to have the coat open."

Actually, the regulations call for ALL your buttons to be buttoned during formation, roll call, etc.

Regards,
                        Jim Butler
                        The SRR
                        Jim Butler

Comment

Working...
                        X