Identifying an Original Enfield Bayonet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying an Original Enfield Bayonet

Pardon me if this isn't the right section to put this in, but to get to the point, I have in my possession an original Enfield-type bayonet that has a heavily worn stamp on the interior of the blade, just above the shoulder of the shaft. I've used the magic of the internet to 100% conclude that it once read "W. Higgins & Sons," as well as a stamp bearing a crown and the characters "B 57." On the shoulder, there is an inverted number "4" stamped below the name of the maker.
    I would love to know the provenance of this bayonet, whether it was possibly an imported weapon, or a post-war make. Short of a few online auctions that offer little more information that what I have already shared, I can find no information on this piece. Anyone have a clue?

I've attached an image of a similar bayonet found on a popular auction website; Note that this is not my bayonet:

Caleb Miller

"A man who is clean has a better opinion of himself than one who is not and invariably makes a better soldier. This then is an important matter." - Inspector's comment on MacRae's Brigade, 1864

Re: Identifying an Original Enfield Bayonet

I believe that is a Birmingham contractor made bayonet for RSAF.
    W Higgins and Sons were suppliers to the War Department during the 1850s.
    Usually crown over the capital letter with numbers beneath it are British Army.
    E = Enfield, B = Birmingham, S= Solingen, F = France, L = Liege, etc.

According to The Mechanics Magazine, Vol XXXIII, (1855) "Messrs. W. Higgins and Son, of Salford,
    are also engaged in casting shells, and particularly Shrapnell shells of a new and improved
    construction, for the Ordnance Department." Salford is in NW England near Manchester.
    Last edited by Craig L Barry; 02-28-2011, 03:01 PM.
    Craig L Barry
    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
    Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Re: Identifying an Original Enfield Bayonet

That's just the sort of information I wanted to know, Craig. Many thanks for the very insightful reply!
      Caleb Miller

"A man who is clean has a better opinion of himself than one who is not and invariably makes a better soldier. This then is an important matter." - Inspector's comment on MacRae's Brigade, 1864

Comment

Working...
      X