Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "On to Richmond!" Local Sesquicentennial Offerings

Friends:

Non-Richmonders may be unaware of the amazing potential that the State of Virginia and the city are doing to drum up interest in the Sesquicentennial events.

For starters, the second of a five-part news report ("Spoils of War") came out this week in Style Weekly that investigated marketing Civil War tourism (a billion-dollar industry). Read here:

The first column ("The Memory") on the impact of the 150th can also be viewed here:

Undoubtedly, these articles wish to provide those with little or no interest in history with context. For most of us here on the forum(s) this is hardly necessarily. That being said, I wanted to direct you all to a number of opportunities around the city:
    • Library of Virginia - "Union or Secession" (December 6, 2010 - October 29, 2011)
      Explore the choices Virginians faced as they decided their fate and the lasting consequences of their decisions for Virginia and the nation.
    • Virginia Historical Society - "An American Turning Point: The Civil War in Virginia" (February 4, 2011 – December 30, 2011)
      Using original objects, interactive technology, and state-of-the-art audiovisual programs, An American Turning Point: The Civil War in Virginia relates the personal experiences of the free and enslaved men, women, and children of wartime Virginia. Visitors are encouraged to consider what was lost, what was gained, what was decided, what was left uncertain, and how an event that occurred 150 years ago still influences us today.
    • Museum of the Confederacy - "The War Comes Home" and "Knickknackery: Curiosities from the Museum's Vaults"
      The exhibit features wartime substitute materials, mourning dresses and jewelry, slave-made items and more.

When assembled together, these “curiosities” give an extraordinary view into the process of museum collecting and the unexpected surprises that can come from it. Featured artifacts include a hoof from the horse of Turner Ashby, jewelry fashioned from human hair, body armor, a letter from Pope Pius IX to Jefferson Davis, and numerous items struck by bullets.
    • Virginia Museum of Fine Arts - Civil War Drawings from the Becker Collection (January 15, 2011 – April 03, 2011)
      The privately held Becker Collection, now digitally archived at Boston College, contains approximately 650 previously unexhibited drawings by mid-19th-century American artist-reporters Joseph Becker and colleagues.

Richmond has its own website that lists scheduled events, programs, and touring guide (which I am very ehh about) here:

Explore the historic Civil War sites Richmond has to offer from the Museum and White House of the Confederacy to following Abe Lincoln's steps.

In addition, you can check out the Virginia Sesquicentennial website here, and check out various other scheduled programs going on around the state:

Xoilac tv là trang xem bóng đá trực tuyến tốc độ cao, xôi lạc tv cung cấp link xem trực tiếp bóng đá miễn phí, xoi lac tv cập nhật những trận đấu hấp dẫn sắp.

Hope that you all will take advantage of these awesome happenings!

Yours in Sic Semper Tyrannuses,
    Last edited by Shockoe Hill Cats; 03-12-2011, 08:09 AM. Reason: Bad links, reposting...
    Jason C. Spellman
    Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Re: "On to Richmond!" Local Sesquicentennial Offerings

Thanks, Jason. Just looking at the "On to Richmond" site one would never know it was the Confederate capital. I'm all for inclusive history but this is simply amazing. I'm a Richmond native and cringe to see how her honorable and proud heritage is being marginalized. More like "Sick" Semper Tyrannus.
    Bob Williams
    26th North Carolina Troops
    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Working...
    X