contents of lost CS knapsack Sept. '62

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: contents of lost CS knapsack Sept. '62

Many a Confederate soldier was in bad shape in September of '62, but this fellow was not one of them.
    He was after he lost that knapsack.
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Comment

Re: contents of lost CS knapsack Sept. '62

Thank you for this link reading these letters realy brings it home as to who these Men were. I inserted a quote below as I belive I wrote those exact lines to my wife, while I was deployed (Im sure more than once). It would seem some things never change. For me reading about the daily lives and trials of the Soldiers brings on an understanding of the War you can not find in any history book no matter how well written or researched. IMHO letters like these and diarys are the best information we have to improve our impression; money can buy authintic gear but the words of the common soldier tell us how we should act in camp.

Roy N. Maddox

"I hope these few lines may arrive at home, in due time and find you and family well and enjoying the great and good blessings of health. This makes the 6th, 7th or 8th letter I have wrote to you and have emphatically not received an answer yet. I have got nearly out of heart. It looks like I will never get a letter from you. It looks like you don’t write, or I don’t get the letters. It must be one or the other. I cannot tell for certain which. It looks like every person in the Company gets letters but me. It has been upwards of two months, or more since I have received a letter from you. I can’t help believing that you write, but the mail is so uncertain. You ought to write often. You can’t imagine how uneasy it makes me feel to be 7 or 8 hundred miles from home, surrounded by hardships, difficulties and dangers and not hear from you all. You ought to write at least once every two or three weeks. I would have wrote oftener but I have been waiting for an answer from you, but I have wrote enough about that for the present."
      John L. G. Wood
      To Wm. Wood
      [FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Roy N. Maddox[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
      X