Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Period Bibles

Originally posted by pvt_jb View Post
    I know not an approved vendor but Blockade Runner is reproducing a 1861 American Bible Society New Testament. It is listed a good way down on the link below. I have not seen these in person or heard about them beyond this webpage.

http://www.blockaderunner.com/other/hotnewitems.html
    As they tend to make some nice stuff here and there, I was excited about the Blockade Runner reproductions until I saw them in person. They are done in modern type (the text is in Arial, I believe) and include a neon green plasic headband and made in India stamp. A solid little Testament all in in, but not for living history.

-Craig Schneider
    Craig Schneider

Comment

My wife got me a nice repro testament from Blockade Runner. It was about 20.00 and I use it and keep it in my saddle bags. plm
      Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Comment

I picked up an 1854 dated manual for prayer at the Reading pa WWII airshow flea market of all places, not a bible, but selected prayers for different life events and tribulations top 1/8 of the spine covering was missing, but intact otherwise..so keep looking, they are out there!!
        Rob Riley

1st NC Sharpshooter Btn
        CSS Chicora Landing party
        15th NJ Infantry

Comment

RMJC is no longer producing bibles.

There's a huge difference between producing a period bible and a period testament, namely, the Old Testament. Testaments tend to be New Testaments, with another book (usually Psalms) thrown in.

The problem with reproducing a period bible or testament is that there is a tremendous amount of setup required, even in this computer age, and you'd have to sell an awful lot of them to make it worth your while.

If you want something to show off, contact the Gideons (www.gideons.org) They still give away pocket testaments, and with a little work, you can turn it into a servicable item. It won't be perfect, but it can be remarkably like the pocket testaments given out by the American Bible Society during the war.
          Cordially,

Bob Sullivan
          Elverson, PA

Comment

Working...
          X