Period Bibles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Period Bibles

Wasn't really sure where to throw this one, thought the sinks would be as good a place as any...

Good places to find period bibles? I have seen the generic ones that some sutlers seem to sell (blue union ones and tan rebel ones) that say either ABS or CBS (american/confederate bible society), but I'm not sure how authentic they are. They can't be too good I figure, since they have the makers modern stamp on the back page. The suttlers that sell them are usually mainstream ones anyways.

Does anyone know of any places to find period bibles? Not nessicarily originals; reproductions would be fine as well.
    Jory Maloney

Re: Period Bibles

I asked this same question last year and the best advice I got was to look for originals online through ebay, or search the antique stores. You might be able to find a nice 1850s or 1860s pocket testament for a fair price.

-Sam Dolan
    Samuel K. Dolan
    1st Texas Infantry
    SUVCW

Comment

Jory, I remember getting one of each of some repro bibles back in the early 90's. I don't know if the ones being offered now are the same ones or not, but if memory serves me correctly, some group that put out an evangelical newsletter and did fire and brimstone preaching at events had them reproduced. I've got to go look at mine now. Hmmmm.
      Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
      Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
      Former Mudsill
      Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

Jory,
        I just took a look at my testament, and there is no modern maker's mark in the back of mine. It's as plain-Jane as can be. If nothing else, the font on mine looks period, etc. Then again, I bought mine eight to ten years before the interwebs, eBay, etc. became the thing. ;)
        Warren Dickinson

Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
        Former Mudsill

Comment

Those Bibles reproduced in the '90's were made by Re-enactors Missions for Jesus Christ. Alan Farley had his own personal period Bible reproduced, IIRC. They ended up taking up donations to have it rebound after it was done because he couldn't afford it himself. Their research showed that the same company produced both US and CS versions of the Testaments and simply added a label for the side to which it was shipping. This same group also reproduced many of the tracts from the era, some handstitched with good detail.
          Duchess Martin,
          U.S. Sanitary Commission,
          Columbus, O. Branch.

Comment

That's it! Thank you for jogging my memory banks Duchess!
            Warren Dickinson

Former Mudsill

Comment

27 NC Artifact

Paper label fixed inside the front cover a New Testament belonging to James Combs, Co K 27th NCT, Saulston Guards, Wayne Co NC. ca 1864.

The name, company letter & regiment are clearly visible firsthand.

The poorly rendered facsimile is my work.

Private collection.

B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Miss Martin and Mr. Dickinson, do either of you know if RMJC is still producing these bibles in any shape or form? I'll look for them on the internet and contact them as well if they are still around. I'll also check e-bay and such as well. Hopefully there might still be some bibles at the RMJC; I can only imagine how much original ones cost...
                Mr. Dickinson, what color is the cover of your bible? The ones I'm thinking of that I have seen at some mainstream sutlers are actually blue for federal. Not nessicarily farby, but I had always thought that bibles from the CW would have a plain leather or cloth cover, not a bright blue one..
                Jory Maloney

Comment

Jory,

I'll check the local bookstores for one. I see from three to eight of them a year, some in good shape, and all dated from the late 1850's to 1863. The first one I found knocked my socks off. It was a Spanish language 1863 print that was picked up by a 50th NY Engineer from an abandoned Confederate trench at Petersburg. He had written the whole story on the inside cover, dated it, and his brother signed it later saying that it was given to him after the war. Incredibly, the bible came with a cdv of the engineer who had found it, which the shop owner had in his desk and gave to me. Spanish language bible picked up from a CS trench, with the finder's cdv for $28...I have no idea why I sold it!!!
                  Last edited by GreencoatCross; 06-28-2011, 08:51 PM. Reason: Spelling
                  Brian White
                  [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                  [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                  [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

I picked up a nice one on eBay.
                    A search using the keyword 'Victorian' bible came up with better pricing than a search for 'civil war' Bible in my case.
                    Regards,
                    John Raterink

"If they carried short rifles and shot people far away, they had to be cool"

Comment

Jory, I have no idea if they are still producing them, or if RMJC is still around. My so-called "Federal" bible was a dark blue, cloth hardback, and the "CS" one was a medium brown cloth hardback. I was only able to find my "CS" one today, don't know what box my blue on is in. :o I'll see if I can find it tomorrow though. BTW, the title page on my "CS" version is exactly like the one Mr. Beall posted except for a few words, etc.
                      Last edited by dixieflyer; 06-29-2011, 12:13 AM. Reason: operator head space and timing
                      Warren Dickinson

Former Mudsill

Comment

A shot in the dark, but perhaps this guy could make / reproduce you a 19th century bible. http://www.colonialprinter.org/ Perhaps if enough people contact him, he could do a run of them. I have seen his work at the Fort Frederick Market Fair and it is quite good!
                        Brad Ireland
                        Old Line Mess
                        4th VA CO. A
                        SWB

Comment

I found an original pocket size, 1858 date at a flea market. Also picked up a Freemason's Monitor, pocket size, print date 1865. Both were very cheap.

George Taggart
                          George Taggart

Comment

Thanks Ireland! I'll check that link out.
                            Jory Maloney

Comment

I know not an approved vendor but Blockade Runner is reproducing a 1861 American Bible Society New Testament. It is listed a good way down on the link below. I have not seen these in person or heard about them beyond this webpage.

Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
                              Civil War Digital Digest
                              Sally Port Mess

Comment

Working...
                              X