US Regulars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Regulars

I have a question.I was wanting to know if the US Regulars stayed in the dark blue pants through out the war,or did they go to Sky Blues?
    Brian Maddox
    37th Tn Co H

Re: US Regulars

Brian,
    IMHO, the Army regulation change in 1861 would apply to the US Regulars more than anyone else. Volunteer regiments had more latitude, thus Zouave units and other unique uniform items like Rush's Lancers, state jackets, etc. The Regulars are a small group, distinct as professional soldiers. There is an entry in the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion Vol VIII, p. 603, General Orders 59, 10 March 1862 from Halleck ordering commanders to ensure the wear of the proper uniforms and get rid of "mixed" uniforms (so at least for the Western Theater). Having said that, obviously we all know dark blue trousers are seen later in the war, and I have read on this forum in a discussion of instances where the Quartermaster Dept was offering to sell dark blue trousers to officers to help get rid of stocks (I dont' remember when that was to go back and look). But bottom line, Regulars would have been more likely to be put in the proper uniform by nature of being Regulars, and I think more likely to respond to the orders of Halleck or other commanders on such matters.
    Frank Siltman
    24th Mo Vol Inf
    Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
    Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
    Company of Military Historians
    Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Re: US Regulars

Hey thanks for the info,I will try and look up the order in the ORs.
      Brian Maddox
      37th Tn Co H

Comment

Working...
      X