Peachtree Street Animation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peachtree Street Animation

The Atlanta History Center posted this to Facebook this morning, and it's well worth a look. It's a 2D/3D animation of George Barnard's photograph looking down Peachtree Street with the billiards parlor on the corner.

Peachtree Fly Through
    Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
    My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Re: Peachtree Street Animation

Nice Bob! One street over is named for my gr-gr-gr-gr grandfather, Houston Street.
    Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
    Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
    Former Mudsill
    Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

That was neat but a bit of a tease. OK! we will take you down the street....OOOPs not so fast as we are backing this ride up. :)
      [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
      ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Ahh..agreed. What a tease..still very cool! This reminds me of the temporary "In our backyards" exhibit at the AHC...there is a 3D film shown in one of the exhibit booths of Atlanta Campaign pictures in 3D..it was a simple yet amazing experience for me to sit there and see that..what was more impactful was seeing the "then" and "now" pictures in the same film..it saddened me...but the 'experts' tell me..tell all of us..that the 'Now' photos are progress...though, I'm not so sure. I'd rather see a preserved battery than a run down Marta station...but my 'progress' is probably a lot different from the groupthink...
        sorry for the rant..but the link/picture posted brought me back to that AHC exhibit.
        If any of you have not been it is MORE than worth your time to spend an afternoon scouring every little inch of that room. There are even neat touchscreen monitors that are running a google-earth type map where you can follow troop movements compared to the modern roads and highways
        Aron Price
        AG

Comment

I will second Aron's comments about the "In our backyards" exhibit. I was at the AHC yesterday showing Senor Lloyd around. I got to slow down and check the AWESOME battle map and modern Atlanta street interactive GIS setup. For a map junkie like myself, this exhibit clarifies the movement of the two armies during the battles around Atlanta.

Also, there are some great enlarged maps on display with the earthworks location and the modern streets again. Seeing as I'm going to a LH next weekend at Gilliam Park near where Walker and Bate's men hit the XVI and XVII Corps, the blown up maps showed the details of where Terry's Millpond was located. This helped clarify that both divisions did seperate from each other and hit Dodge's lines at different times AND definintely NOT in support of each other.

If you are in the area check it out! Also some great pieces from the Wray Collection (remember that fundraiser thing for the collection in 2009?) are on display. Good stuff.
          Herb Coats
          Armory Guards &
          WIG

Comment

Working...
          X