1 Afternoon in DC--where to go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 Afternoon in DC--where to go?

I am headed to Washington, D.C., tomorrow. I'll arrive around noon and don't have to be anywhere until 9 PM. I have visited DC and the surrounding area before, seen the monuments, visited my congressman at the Capitol, visited Arlington House and the National Cemetery, and visited some of the museums (History, Natural History, Air & Space), been to Ford's Theater, LOC, seen Georgetown.

What am I missing? National Portrait Gallery? What's the best way to spend an afternoon in DC?

Thanks.
    Joe Knight

Armory Guards
    Yocona Rip Raps
    "Semper Tyrannis."

Re: 1 Afternoon in DC--where to go?

There's always a simple walk down the Mall. The whole length of it. Stop and see whats happening. Look, really look at the buildings, the view, the Americans and those visiting. Soak it in. Pack a box lunch. Wander. Look friendly. You never know when some old man over by the World War II monument might just talk to you for awhile. Listen.

Of course, if you want airconditioning and a truely ecelectic collection http://www.dar.org/museum/

And if you want an adventurous walk, bus, and subway ride, go up to the National Cathedral. Yes there's a tour. Sometimes I just go sit.
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Great ideas. Thank you.

In 25 years of life and multiple trips to DC, this is the first time I haven't had a highly scheduled itinerary. I endeavor to simply enjoy it.

Thanks!
      Joe Knight

Armory Guards
      Yocona Rip Raps
      "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

I'll second wandering around the Mall. I used to do that all the time when I lived in DC. I always enjoyed the National Gallery there as well. They had an exhibit on Winslow Homer's wartime work there once which was quite interesting.
        Jonathan Sasor

Comment

Joseph -

I would hit the National Archives display of the Constitution, Bill of Rights and the Declaration and then the Holocaust Memorial Museum..... Maybe the National Portrait gallery if you have another 2 hours or so.

Sounds like you've seen most everything else that doesn't take a week!

R
          Rich Libicer
          Fugi's Brown Water Mess

6th North Carolina - 150th First Manassas, July 2011
          4th Texas Dismounted, Co. C - 150th Valverde, February 2012
          6th Mississippi Adjunct - 150th Shiloh, April 2012
          4th Texas Dismounted, Co. C - 150th Glorieta Pass, May 2012
          21st Arkansas Adjunct - 150th Prairie Grove, December 2012
          5th Confederate, Co. C - 150th Chickamauga, September 2013
          Haitus...... Until Now

Comment

Frederick Douglass' house? I think the museum is still open. Rock Creek Park, the forts...?
            If you have Streets and Trips or the like, try "nearby places". There are tiny museums all over DC that even people who live there don't seem to know about.
            Becky Morgan

Comment

Ride the metro and people watch.
              Brad Ireland
              Old Line Mess
              4th VA CO. A
              SWB

Comment

I would catch the Nationals if they were in town.

Comment

Frederick Douglas house is not in the best neighborhood though worth seeing. Take a cab if you decide to venture over there.

Comment

I would pay homage at the war memorials, and visit the Garden of Stone, (Arlington National Cemetery). There isn't much in this world that I find more moving and respectful than the US Army Old Guard standing duty at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Remember to stay behind the chains and to, "Maintain an atmosphere of silence and respect at all times."
                    Randall Moore Patterson
                    Born and raised in Groves, Texas
                    Co. H, 1st Texas Infantry
                    "The Texas Guards"
                    "J.H. Moore" Recruited at Kickapoo Mar 20 1862. Promoted Cpl. Paroled Appomattox.

Comment

Go to the Library of Congress. Very interesting displays and they have a small exhibit of CW portraits for the 150th. If you have a rental car, even though you may have been there already, go to Manassas. I was there in DC on business 3 weeks ago and went to Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, and Bull Run all on my off time even though I had been to each at least 3 times.
                      Frank Siltman
                      24th Mo Vol Inf
                      Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
                      Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
                      Company of Military Historians
                      Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Indeed the cab suggestion about Douglass' house is excellent. Saying it's not in the best neighborhood, especially at night, is a bit like suggesting that there was an argument of some kind at Manassas. It's unpleasant to think about, but several neighborhoods in the city which were relatively safe until a few years ago have become very rough, and it isn't always apparent when you're in them, so a cab or a person who lives nearby is the best guide to when it is and isn't safe to be in a certain place.
                        Here's the site for the museum:
                        Frederick Douglass spent his life fighting for justice and equality. Born into slavery in 1818, he escaped as a young man and became a leading voice in the abolitionist movement. People everywhere still find inspiration today in his tireless struggle, brilliant words, and inclusive vision of humanity. Douglass's legacy is preserved here at Cedar Hill, where he lived his last 17 years.
                        Becky Morgan

Comment

Willard Hotel. Round Robin Bar. Mint julep.
                          Silas Tackitt,
                          one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Working...
                          X