Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving through Georgia and Tennessee

All

I will be driving through Georgia and Tennessee over the next two day and would like to take in some battlefields. I will be coming up 75 through Atlanta and Nashville and don't want to stray too far off the interstate.

Thank for the help,

Chris Talburt

Re: Driving through Georgia and Tennessee

Carnton and the Carter House aren't too far off I-65. That's a heck of a loop from Missouri, to Atlanta and then past here!
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Comment

Patrick

We did the power loop from MO to Disney World and now are going to work our way back. Thanks for the suggestions.

Chris Talburt

Comment

I-75 Exit 340 you can see the Tunnel Hill Heritage Museum. They give tours of the historic railroad tunnel made famous by the Great Locomotive Chase. About 10 minutes off I-75 at Fort Oglethorpe, Ga you can be in the Chickamauga Battlefield. Once in Chattanooga just minutes from I-24 you can see all the sights on Lookout Mountain.

If you don't mind alittle hiking you can stop off in Rocky Face ( I-75 exit 336) and walk up the ridge where the battle of Buzzards Roost / Rocky face Ridge was fought. Original redoubt fort, stone walls, and a grave belonging to a member of the Orphan Brigade. If you need directions PM me.
        Captain Andy Witt
        52nd Geo Vol Inf Co I CSA
        Blue Ridge Mess

http://www.52ndgeorgia.webs.com

Comment

All good suggestions. There is Stone's River also just off of I-24 and not a far leap off of I-65. Where you going after Nashville Chris? North up I-65, or are you going up I-24? (If you head up I-24, you'll pass right by me,a nd you won't be too far from Fort Donelson/Henry.
          Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
          Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
          Former Mudsill
          Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

Kennesaw Mtn. Is less than a mile off I-75 north of ATL. Take the Barrett Parkway exit. Catch the VC and then drive over to Cheatham Hill. As you pass Exit 320 on I-75, you're driving through the CS lines at the Battle of Resaca. Look to the left at the exit and see the road where McPherseon chickened out, but placed his arty on the two prominent hills about 1/4 mile west of I-75. At Exit #320, take GA 136 to the right one mile to US 41, then left on 41 a mile or two to the sign for the CS cemetery. Next to the cemetery is a RR track (still in use) that was the same road bed as the Western & Atlantic RR and Sherman's supply line of CW days. Then, north on I-75, you parallel Rocky Face Ridge, an extension of Lookout Mtn on your left for several miles. Then you pass Dug Gap and then Ringgold - early fights in Sherman's ATL campaign.

Chickamauga is a MUST see - just a couple of miles west of I-75 - just south of Chattanooga. Take the Battlefield Parkway (duh!) exit to the left. At Chattanooga, you'll catch I-24 to Nashville. You'll go right by Missionary Ridge and Lookout Mtn both on the left as I-24 snakes thru Chattanooga - then past Brown's Ferry Landing where Hooker crossed the TN River. After you go over Mt. Eagle, you drive through much of the area of the Tullahoma campaign. Hoover Gap, where Wilder's Lightning Brigade made fame is near the War Trace / Bell Buckle exit just south of Murfreesboro. I-24 runs right along the edge of Stones River Battlefield just barely north of Murfreesboro. It's on your right. Then you can take the short drive over to Franklin for both Carnton and the Carter House. Is that enough?
            Last edited by Mike Ventura; 07-20-2011, 07:40 PM.
            Mike Ventura
            Shannon's Scouts

Comment

Allatoona Pass is right off I-75 above Atlanta.

Comment

The Army Of Tennessee sites that are a stones throw from the interstate are numerous to say the least. Most have been mentioned above. If you make it to the top of Rocky Face Ridge (in Ga.) tell George Disney I said, " Hello."
                Scott House

Comment

When I drove to Bummers, I loved the fact that nearly every exit between Chattanooga and Atlanta was an Atlanta campaign site. Simply amazing, and I wish I could have had a week to stop at all of them. However, if you have the time, stop at the Atlanta History Center. The collections, the displays, its all well worth the time and the price of admission.
                  Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
                  My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Of course bob, the flip side of that is that I-75 was built over the top of most of 'em too. I feel sorry for you younger fellers who weren't around in the early days at Pickett's Mill ('88-'90 or thereabouts) when we didn't even have a visitor's center and the surrounding area for miles and miles was much as it had been. did you know that those field were cleared by hand and no modern means such as backhoes, bulldozers, etc. were used in order to maintain the integrity of the fields?
                    Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
                    Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
                    Former Mudsill
                    Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

To echo other sentiments, Chickamauga has an unrivaled firearms exhibit and a tour of the battlefield is a must. Bragg threw away the biggest victory ever won by the AoT. Then there is Resaca, Picketts Mill and Kennesaw. Other than the Cyclorama there is not much left of Atlanta battlefields. Parking lots and strip malls and low cost housing are much more important than hallowed ground.
                      Tom Dodson
                      Tom Dodson

Comment

Thanks to everyone who replied. Made several good stops. The gun collection at Chickamauga was amazing!

Thanks

Chris Talburt

Comment

Working...
                        X