Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The so-called "Modern hat size"

Friends,

I've noticed that when some AC members list hats for sale, they list its size in circumference in inches, followed by something like, "7 1/8 modern hat size." I'm not a mens headwear historian, but that type of sizing was in practice during our period of study -- a glance at an original forage cap label (attached) can illustrate that (source: Heritage Auctions http://historical.ha.com/c/item.zx?s...42&lotNo=25003). I've just noticed the term "modern hat size" being used more and more over the years on the B/S/T section of the site, and just wanted to point out the system is not necessarily "modern." If anything, in recent times we've steered away from it more towards "S - M - L - XL"! haha!

For those interested in the conversions of hat sizes into inches or US military sizes, Wambaugh and White have a convenient table online at http://wwandcompany.com/index.php/st...7-federal-caps Note that to convert circumference in inches to a hat size, take the measurement and divide it by Pi (approx 3.14).

Not a rant, just supplying info for our collective knowledge. Maybe someone knows the origin of the hat size system, I would presume it has to do with the diameter of hat blocks or something similar?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PieBoy96; 08-04-2011, 08:18 AM.
    Paul Boccadoro
    Liberty Rifles

“Costumes are just lies that you wear.” –Stephen Colbert

Re: The so-called "Modern hat size"

Funny Ive never seen anybody post a pair of trousers as Size 2, modern waist size 48.
    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Good point. I think of it in terms of civilian hat size, not "Army" hat size, but have been known to use the term modern hat size to show that my "size 8" Army size is about the same as there modern fitted baseball cap in 7 3/4, not a civilian "8."

Robert, if size 2 trowsers are 48", I'd hate to get on the bad side of the guy in size 4.
      Pat Brown

Comment

Originally posted by brown View Post
        Good point. I think of it in terms of civilian hat size, not "Army" hat size, but have been known to use the term modern hat size to show that my "size 8" Army size is about the same as there modern fitted baseball cap in 7 3/4, not a civilian "8."

Robert, if size 2 trowsers are 48", I'd hate to get on the bad side of the guy in size 4.
        Typical sarcasm on my part.
        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Working...
        X