Reproduction Southern Newspapers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reproduction Southern Newspapers

I know about the commonly reproduced Harpers Weekly, but does anyone out there reproduce a southern newspaper??
    Dan Chmelar
    Semper Fi
    -ONV
    -WIG
    -CIR!

Re: Reproduction Southern Newspapers

The commonly reproduced Harpers Weekly is OK as a reproduction, and no one is making them anymore anyway. The first thing wrong with it is that it's printed on modern newsprint paper. However, we'll just move on from there.

The biggest drawback to reproducing any period newspaper is cost. In today's world, as soon as the size of the printed image goes above 11 x 17 inches, which includes every 19th century newspaper I've ever seen, the cost per page to reporduce goes way up. And since we're talking newspapers here, both sides of the paper were used, so the printing cost per sheet just doubled. It makes printing an entire newspaper very expensive, and impractical for most people when considering purchases. In fact, you can pick up original newspapers for less that what it would cost to reproduce them. Not that I am advocating bringing original items into the field.

Those Harpers Weekly papers you see around were offered by Applewood Books about 15-20 years ago. The nice thing about them was that the guy that was doing it was offering a subscription, and if you signed up you'd get each week on the actual week for the entire war. Don't know who printed them, but who ever did took a horrendous loss on the project. Which is why you have never seen them since.
    Cordially,

Bob Sullivan
    Elverson, PA

Comment

Ummm, I hate to contradict you but Harper's are still available. I totally agree with everything else you said.
      Beth Crabb

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
      John Crabb July 10, 1953 - Nov. 25, 2009

Comment

Oh, I know they are still available, but I believe that they are coming from existing stocks printed years ago.
        Cordially,

Bob Sullivan
        Elverson, PA

Comment

Working...
        X