Period correct birthday celebrations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Period correct birthday celebrations

Before I ask the following question let it be known that I have tried to do the research, have looked all over the place and have found nothing. So if you still feel the need to flame on a newbie, then flame away.

Simple question.....

My unit is doing a living history event next weekend and I’m trying to put together a little something to acknowledge a good friend's birthday. What are some period correct birthday celebration activities? I know the obligatory birthday cake is period correct, but what types of songs or other activities did people of this period engage in to celebrate birthdays? Were birthdays even a big enough deal to warrant a celebration? If anyone can shed any light on the subject or at least point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Michael Payne
    2nd Kentucky
    Louisville, KY
    M. Payne
    Louisville, Ky
    5th (9th) KY, Breckinridge Greys
    1st Manassas - July 2011
    March From Corinth to Shiloh - March 2012
    BGA Shiloh - March / April 2012
    Perryville 150 - Oct 2012

Re: Period correct birthday celebrations

A bit that indicates that parties for birthdays did happen:
    "Our Young Folks" from 1866 tells a fictional story about Little Pussy Willow which compares a poor but contented little girl's 7th birthday with a rich, unhappy little girl's 7th birthday. Rich little Emily has a children's ball in the evening of her birthday with fireworks and a feast, but Pussy Willow has a few broken china pieces and some wood shavings to play with and a patchwork quilt to make on her birthday, but no party at all. Naturally this is a lesson in contentment, but it also seems to show that a party was pretty expected, probably not as elaborate as Emily's party, but certainly something more than Pussy Willow could expect. http://books.google.com/books?id=fUs...0party&f=false

The rest would be dependent on your social status, your economic status, and how your particular community/family marked occasions. A wealthy older person of society would probably invite their friends to a nice dinner featuring some of their favorite dishes. A moderate young lady might invite her friends on a picnic. A working class fella might have his friends to the saloon. A religious family might ask a special blessing in their prayers or read aloud a favorite passage of religious text. Children were probably more marked than adults... especially as they hit the magic numbers of one, five, breeching, debute in society, sixteen, eighteen and "maturity."
    -Elaine "Ivy Wolf" Kessinger

Comment

Then there are the ones in society like several of my ancestors that forgot their year of birth over the years. Of course this was long before the invent of birth certificates. And I couldn't tell you how many times I've come up with "born on or about" such and such year while doing research on different people. You'd think if birthdays were of such an importance that someone would have remembered when they were born and wrote it down somewhere.
      Last edited by JimKindred; 08-12-2011, 06:54 AM. Reason: Modern references removed.
      [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="5"]Eric Davis
      Handsome Company Mess
      Liberty Hall Drum Corps [/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by 4VADRUMMER View Post
        You'd think if birthdays were of such an importance that someone would have remembered when they were born and wrote it down somewhere.
        Some folks think of time differently. Mother probably remembered their birth as the night of that horrible storm... remember? Then by the time the "child" becomes a grandfather... no one can quite remember if that storm was in 1838 or 1839... not to mention if it was in August or July. So the family thinks late July or early August is a nice time for a party and they declare his birthday a good enough reason.
        -Elaine "Ivy Wolf" Kessinger

Comment

Working...
        X