Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS Stamp question

Gents,

I'm not sure where to put this, so I'll try here....

Does anyone here collect CW period postage stamps? I have a fairly rare CSA "T-E-N" stamp (Scott's CSA #9) on a period cover, the addressee is in Davie Co. NC. This was part of my grandfather's collection and I have no idea of it's current value. I see a few of them offered on Ebay but the prices are all over the place.

I would like to possibly get some input from pards here first, before letting a local stamp shop take a look at it. I also have taken some images. Any advice or further assistance would be greatly appreciated!

(Mods, if this needs to be moved, please feel free. Thanks.)
    Last edited by Gallinipper; 08-12-2011, 11:22 AM.
    Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Re: CS Stamp question

Rich,

Read through these resources:
    The Confederate Stamp Alliance: http://www.csalliance.org/ for values.
    &

[B][I]Edwin Carl Erwin[/I][/B]

descendent of:
    [B]Tobias Levin Hays[/B]
    16th Texas Infantry, Co. I, Walker's Texas Division
    22nd Brigade, "Mesquite Company", Texas Rangers
    &
    [B]J. W. Tally[/B]
    4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade[B][/B]

Comment

Although I’m by know means a stamp expert it is like any other collectable. Pricing is all about condition. Is the stamp used or unused, ripped, creased, even how it was originally cut. You said you had some photos. Can you post them. I will not be able to give you a price but maybe someone ells might be able to, although it may be a little hard without examining it up close. Most cities have stores that sell them, usually with coins and cards. You might want to take it to one of them to get an estimate and determine the grade.
      Brandon Ledvina

Comment

Thanks for your responses. Here is a look at the stamp in question. Interestingly, it was placed in the upper left corner of the cover, which I understand was not that uncommon. You may also be able to make out a cancellation mark on the stamp in pencil.....
        Attached Files
        Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Thanks for sharing that, Rich!

As Edwin already suggested, I would contact the CSA (http://www.csalliance.org/index.htm) about your stamp. Ms. Kaufmann has ALWAYS taken the time to answer any questions I have had and has been very helpful.

Still looking forward to their release of the newer New Dietz Confederate States Catalog and Handbook. According to Ms. Kaufmann, after the CSA acquired the rights to this work, they set upon a project to preserve the research found within the Dietz book and add over twenty years of added research by the CSA and its contributors. They were supposed to have a published work out by 2011, and I have been keeping an eye out for that.
          Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

Working...
          X