This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10th Indiana (90 Days) Complete company field desk on Pawn Stars

Did anyone else see the episode of Pawn Stars on the History Channel where a guy brought in a complete field desk belonging to the captain of a company of the 10th Indiana Infantry (90 Days) complete with all of the company paperwork? It was authenticated by the show's historical expert.

Does anyone know where it is/went??

My g-g-grandfather served in the regiment.
    Mike Ventura
    Shannon's Scouts

Re: 10th Indiana (90 Days) Complete company field desk on Pawn Stars

I saw that episode a few months back. I about died when I saw it.
    Nathan Hellwig
    AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
    "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

I saw it too. Would love to have something like that. I am pretty sure he did not sell it in the end. I found the video below showing his bringing it in but I could not find a part 2 showing the expert telling about and the end of the deal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLKlhfnutCE
      Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
      Civil War Digital Digest
      Sally Port Mess

Comment

I didn't see the Roadshow episode, but a number of years ago I visited with an antiques dealer in Sandwich Illinois that had a complete field desk that was ID'd to a company from the 36th Illinois Infantry. It was painted mustard yellow and every drawer and cubby hole was stuffed with clothing receipts, muster rolls, passes, etc, etc. I would have loved to spend an afternoon going through the contents. The desk was strictly not for sale as it was brought back by the dealer's direct relative who was a company commander in the 36th ILLs. The dealer said it was pretty much left untouched from 1865 with nothing missing.

Paul McKee
        Paul McKee

Comment

I saw that episode. Wow , what an amazing family heirloom. They offered the guy some silly price, so he kept it. If I remember correctly he was trying to sell it to pay for his kids to go to college.
          Kyle W. Sanders

Armory Guards
          Pick'in eny Mess

"America has no north, no south, no east, no west. The sun rises over the hills and sets over the mountains, the compass just points up and down, and we can laugh now at the absurd notion of there being a north and a south. We are one and undivided." -Sam Watkins-1st Tennessee

Comment

Would have been nice to see but I blocked History channel from my tv. I guess with that policy.. I miss the few good pieces of corn that otherwise comes along with the mounds of horse sh__!
            Brad Ireland
            Old Line Mess
            4th VA CO. A
            SWB

Comment

12th Iowa Company C field desk is still at Upper Iowa University. When myself and friend went to look at it in 1993 it was under drama props and was FULL of company papers. Also a cartridge box and some officer equipment. I wrote to Shiloh a few years back and they asked to have it on loan and Upper Iowa said no.
              Nathan Hellwig
              AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
              "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Not sure who the item truly belongs/belonged to. Everyone you see on the show is a plant to merely show items that are already in posession of the pawn stars ..what you see are not actual transactions but merely recreated transactions with so called experts who are always nearby.
                We were offered to be ini a taping for the show when we were staying in Vegas in route to the BCS game in AZ in January but we passed. We did get to play with some outlandishly over priced fair to poor conditioned springfield trapdoor rifles though..that was fun..until we saw that they wanted between 2800 and 4300 a piece for them..then it just became funny
                Aron Price
                AG

Comment

Aron... thanks for that! Just more justification for me deleting History channel from my TV.
                  Brad Ireland
                  Old Line Mess
                  4th VA CO. A
                  SWB

Comment

Since we usually look for sources for information provided could you provide your source for this info, Aron.
                    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
                    Civil War Digital Digest
                    Sally Port Mess

Comment

Folks, let's keep the conversation about the field desk, and not the tv show. Thanks!
                      Last edited by Coatsy; 08-18-2011, 08:06 AM.
                      Herb Coats
                      Armory Guards &
                      WIG

Comment

Mike,

Who was the captain who allegedly owned this particular desk? I have a list of the company commanders who mustered into active service with the 10th IVI, which was predominately raised in my region of Indiana. However, due to casualties (e.g., Christian Miller, Company A, WIA at Rich Mountain) and promotions (W. C. Wilson, Company C, promoted to Major, and WIA at Rich Mountain), the list of company commanders who mustered out in late July/early August 1861 differed quite a bit from that of the previous May.

Inquiring minds want to know,

Mark Jaeger
                        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Mike -

I do not believe that they bought the desk if I remember. It was a re-run that was on last year about this time.

Shiloh Relics also had a field desk about this same time from a different Indiana Unit from that on Pawn Stars. That field desk, complete with all document from 61 - 65, went to a museum in Indiana.

John Walsh
                          John Walsh

"Is a gentleman with a brostache invited to this party?''

Comment

The owner of the desk wanted 150000$ for the desk, but the old man only offered him 3000$. The owner walked. I would have too. I told my wife that they need a "follow up" show that finds out what people got for items that they didn’t sell at the shop. If they took them to an auction etc.

Of course my initial thought was why you would want to sell such a fantastic piece of family history.
                            Kris Kransel
                            [COLOR="Blue"]Old Northwest Voluteers[/COLOR]

Comment

Aaaaand we're closed.... Interesting topic, but this goes to much into the "No TV/Movie posts" on the forum.
                              Herb Coats
                              Armory Guards &
                              WIG

Comment

Working...
                              X