Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The veterans were farby reenactors too ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The veterans were farby reenactors too ..

The following transcription is taken from a article that appeared on the front page of the Cleveland Star December 2, 1903. The Cleveland Star was the county newspaper for Cleveland County, North Carolina and is now called the Shelby Star.

Big Day at Hollis

Mr. J. P. D. Withrow Gives Barbecue on Dec. 23rd—Old Soldiers Invited, Great Time Expected.

The Cleveland Camp of Confederate Veterans are cordially invited to a Barbecue that I propose to give at Hollis, on Dec. 23rd, I will furnish beef, soft bread and coffee free, and have selected 20 old soldiers to cook and deal out the “rations.” I will spare no pains or expense to make this a day to be remembered. I expect to have a sham battle, and all Old Soldiers are requested to bring a breech loading shot gun, the blank cartridges will be furnished you, and the battle will be fought on a 25 acre field. If you know of and old soldier who does not take the paper, please tell him he is invited. All precautions will be taken so as to have no accidents. Be sure and do not bring your guns loaded, as all who enter the battle will have to declare on their Word of Honor, that they have no loaded shells in their pockets. I have always wanted to give the Old Soldiers an opportunity to have one more good time, and am now ready to do so. I am expecting the largest crowd that has ever attended my annual treat.
    All children under fifteen years will by given a candy breaking. Eight or ten will recite; a corner stone will be layed by Masons, Odd Fellows and Pythians. An elegant dinner will be served and all are requested to bring a big basket. The best of order will be observed, and I hope everybody will come and have a nice Christmas time.
    Respectfully,
    J. P. Withrow

:D

Just ran across the posting of the article on another site and thought it was interesting. I'd love to see pictures from that get together though. Oh the stories that would've been told that day and many more just like it...
    Aron Price
    AG

Re: The veterans were farby reenactors too ..

I've always been interested in what the boys did when they got home. They were citizens before they signed up and citizens after they left the service, and what they did in those four years and change made such a difference in their lives and their towns' that I can't help thinking it's an underexplored area.
    Wonder if the Rebel Yell broke out at that banquet-battle, and wonder who had to be the Yankees?
    Becky Morgan

Comment

I recall reading once an account of a young Federal (I believe from Indiana) who, upon returning home, was greeted by his Mother, Father, and siblings on the front porch. He wrote that his Mother prepared a nice dinner, after which he just relaxed on the porch. The next moring he arose early, donned a pair of his Father's work clothes and joined him in the fields. He said it was as if he had never been away to the War...I imagine such was the case for many a soldier...
      Tom "Mingo" Machingo
      Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
      Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
      Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
      KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

That sounds very close to Leander Stillwell's account, save that he surprised the family, I believe.
        Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
        My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Yep that was Stilwell! There is very little physical history of my family from WW2 due to the fact they got home tossed every speck of their Army life in the nearest ashcan and tried the best they could to get on with their lives. I don't think I would myself want to remember harsh days fighting Rebs, Germans, Japanese, Koreans, Vietnamese, or Iraqis anymore than they did. We are the mere "picklocks of biographers" and be mindful of that.
          Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Bob,

I'm greatly enjoying that blog of yours. Thank you for the work that's going into those transcriptions.
            Terre Hood Biederman
            Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
            Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Thank you, Mrs. Lawson. It's been a labor of love, and a great historical introduction to my new community. I can truly say that there is nothing quite so enjoyable as period newspaper work from a rural community. The cat fights between the Republican and Democratic papers alone are worth the price of admission.
              Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
              My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

This thread is beginning to stray. The subject of Macomb, Illinois, would be a great discussion for another thread, but is rather off topic here.
                Silas Tackitt,
                one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Working...
                X