No announcement yet.

Prevent battle injury by using bullet-proof blankets (according to one Texan):

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prevent battle injury by using bullet-proof blankets (according to one Texan):

In preparing for the Gaines' Mill Living History next year (*hint hint*), I came across a soldier of the 4th Texas Infantry known only as "Austin" in a Richmond, Va. newspaper. He writes:

"It will be noticed that more wounds are in the left arm than in any other part of the body. If our troops will wind a common blanket around the left arm up to the elbow, it would not only shelter the arm effectually but this most vital part of the body, in loading, firing or charging. The weight would cause little inconvenience, as the left arm is little used in loading.

The possession of the blanket to rest on the battle field in a rainy cold night would be most opportune. Several of our men came out untouched, with evidences on the blankets they happened to have hanging on their shoulders that the blankets saved them. This precaution would greatly reduce the number of our wounded, and more so the number of killed."

• Austin, "Enquirer's Correspondence". Richmond Enquirer, July 4, 1862 (Richmond, VA).
    Jason C. Spellman
    Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Re: Prevent battle injury by using bullet-proof blankets (according to one Texan):

This kinda goes with the period sketches one finds of soldiers wearing a blanket roll across one should and their ground cloth in a like style across the other. Wonder if the reasons behind such were to stop a stray bullet at long distance as well as making the load easier?
    S. Chris Anders

"Authenticity Glorifies the Campaign"

Comment

Re: Prevent battle injury by using bullet-proof blankets (according to one Texan):

Hallo!

An interesting notion, especially with the accounts of pocket bibles, pocket watches, etc. slowling down spent rounds. Such as Lt. George Dixon's legendary gold coin.

There are also similar stories in history, such as Robert Rogers of F & I War ranger fame who had a spent ball "stopped" by his hair queue ribbon tie. Or, in the 1790's, ranger/spy Hamilton Kerr catching a spent Indian round in the folds or rolls of the blanket on his knapsack.

Interesting comment about left-arm hits. I envision the left-arm blocking "center mass" when aiming and firing, or loading for that matter.

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

It makes sense that more injuries during the loading process were in the left arm/side, but I imagine more blankets were perforated by bullets than stopped them. Anything can happen, but I want something to work everytime, every other time is not good enough.
        Mike McGee
        Cure All Mess ~ Hard Case Boys
        Co A, 4th Tennessee Infantry Regiment "The Shelby Greys"
        Co C, 25th Regiment, Indiana Infantry

Pvt. Francis "Frank" Agee- G, G, G-Uncle
        Co H, 22nd Tennessee Infantry Regiment
        KIA Battle of Shiloh-April 6, 1862
        Resting in Peace on that Hallowed Ground

Comment

"but I want something to work everytime, every other time is not good enough."

Unfortunately I think sure things were pretty limited. :) I've seen references to men holding skillets in front of them as they advanced but since you can always be hit in the face or foot just as easily (or mowed down by a cannon ball) it all seems like wishful thinking.
          John Duffer
          Independence Mess
          MOOCOWS
          WIG
          "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

i have read several cases of men taking there blanket's winding them and sticking it in from of themselves. they talk about how when they unroll the blanket bullets pour out.
            Your most humble and obedient servant,
            Erik W Creekmore,
            2nd Col Vol Inf.

Sgt Major, Territorial Battalion.

Comment

Hallo!

Then too, i am thinking of rhetorical devices and allegorical writing techniques.

For example, IIRC, in the unpublished memoirs of Nicholas Pomeroy of Company "A," of the 5th Texas, he talks about the 5th's failed assault on Little Round Top where if you held out your hat, it would get filled with bullets (Note: not bullet holes).

Curt
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
              X