Fort Crook Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fort Crook Restoration

My unit, the 72nd New York Volunteer Infantry, based out of Northern California, has adopted a Civil War era fort in the mountains for restoration. All that remains is a single cabin of this fort, originally built in 1857. We want to do an infantry barracks impression, and have already built period cots, but I could use more ideas about other period items to include, as well as differences between what they would have had during the war and what would have been out West. I would like to get matching bed sacks for all the cots, but wanted to know the fabric to sew them in. Other simple things like that. Many things you see in the pictures are farby -- these have been provided by the museum in charge, and we are working on bringing the whole place up to standards. I'd love to get your feedback. Please include references.

DavidClick image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0380..JPG
Views:	1
Size:	999.5 KB
ID:	229649Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0404..JPG
Size:	996.7 KB
ID:	229650Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0406..JPG
Size:	980.7 KB
ID:	229651

Re: Fort Crook Restoration

There is a reference book called "The Soldiers Called it Home" by William L. Brown III out there which goes into great depth about furnishings and barracks life of a variety of forts. Many are post-war but there is still some info about CW era installations.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

David

What regiment are you portraying?
      Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Davd: You might want to call Sean Malis at Ft. Tejon State Historic Park. They have gathered a great deal of data on the forts out here in Ca. (a lot of research as well by Geo. Stammerjohn, who was I believe was the State Historian)
        Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
        Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
        Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
        Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
        Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

I second what Tom says, contact Sean Malis at Fort Tejon. Also, check out the following blog by Will Gorenfeld, a long time volunteer at Fort Tejon: http://musketoon.com/ There's some great information on there, including articles written by George Stammerjohn, about Antebellum Dragoons and Infantry stationed in the far west. At Fort Tejon, despite having two large barracks buildings capable of housing a full company each, there were no cots or bed frames of any kind, the troops slept on mattress ticks stuffed with straw laid on the floor. Works right, and it's cheap! There was no "only the best for our boys in uniform" mentality back then. The same Co. A 1st Dragoons, commanded by Capt. John W. T. Gardiner, who built Fort Tejon later built Fort Crook.

From the following website: http://www.militarymuseum.org/CpCrook.html

Fort Crook was drawn in 1859 by Inspector General Mansfield "A little more improvement in the buildings and stables will make them quite suitable and comfortable," he reported. "These buildings are all of logs and shingled with adobe chimneys and hearths." Mansfield added that guardhouse was empty except for Indian prisoners, barracks did not have bunks, and troops were poorly drilled.
          Last edited by Ian McWherter; 08-30-2011, 03:48 PM.
          Ian McWherter

"With documentation you are wearing History, without it, it's just another costume."-David W. Rickman

Comment

Working...
          X