Things I take for granted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things I take for granted

Ike: Then you may recognize some fellows in this picture since those on the left in the blue grey jackets were, I believe, part of "Cleburne's." This view was taken in February 1979 at the Olustee, FL event. Also in the photo were some guys from the Orphan brigade and the 1st Florida Infantry. A considerably lighter and thinner version of myself is at front center in a butternut cap. Yes, those were the days. I still have some of my old Jarnagin leather goods from that time, most of it well cared for and in excellent condition.
    Bob Williams
    26th North Carolina Troops
    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Bob,
      Nobody jumped out at me. However thats not to say my eyesight is 100%. There are a lot of "organizations" that run around these days under the Cleburnes name. See event sponsors for shiloh... and I know of some dudes in MO calling them selves the 1st ARK CO G. These (explietive deleated) have nothing to do with the people I am associated with.

Ike Gatlin

Comment

Ike,
        I just came across this thread and read it for the first time. I, personally, would be highly interested in anything else you desire to write about. It was a great read!
        Shawn Sturgill
        Governor Guards
        SCAR

Comment

Ike, great to see one of the old Cleburnes has learned to rite! Looking forward to being in the field again with you at Shiloh!
          Dean Burchfield
          [B][FONT="Century Gothic"]WIG [I]The Old Guard[/I][/FONT][/B]
          Cleburnes
          Hard Case Boys
          Green Bottle Mess

[I][U]PM Joseph Warren #71 F & AM [/U][/I]

Un soldat sera long et dur combat pour un peu de ruban de couleur.
          Napoléon Bonaparte
          A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Comment

Ike,

I just read your recollections. Wow. There are alot of good old names in there. Guys I remember admiring and helping me get started as a wee pup in '79. One summer my father and I travelled the country to places that made uniforms and accoutrements buying up all that I needed to get started. I remember old man Jarnagins barn and how he was still pretty new. I think I still have a '79 or '80 catalog. I should pull it out and check the prices. I remember brogans were $30. After leaving Jarnagins I got my first Springfield on that trip. Brand new in the box - $120! These prices were big money then. I'd like to thank you and fellas like you mentioned for doing such a fine job of shaping the hobby - or affliction as you say which better describes my condition as well - because I have thoroughly enjoyed the people I've met and my experiences and travels through the years.
            Matt Woodburn
            Retired Big Bug
            WIG/GHTI
            Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
            "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Working...
            X